Progress Thread I'm restoring my dad's fox body and I have some questions regarding my engine restoration

• Sponsors (?)

Oh what a feelin to have your dad's car. I didn't have a good dad, so I do my very best to be a good dad. The best part is having a trusted family friend to paint it. You won't be lied to.

I attached a few pictures of it. It's rough and I have a long road ahead of me but it runs and drives great so that's a plus. Goal number one is just getting ahead of the body work primarily.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 1 users
I would like to make suggestion, I would blow this thing apart as much as I could, rebuild, restore and a complete paint job.
There is a thread here (I'll find it) on a 4 eye hatch and it's just amazing, you likely would not go to his extreme but damn the finished product is jaw dropping,
Just thinking about what I would do, mostly because your car is so complete.

I would like to make suggestion, I would blow this thing apart as much as I could, rebuild, restore and a complete paint job.
There is a thread here (I'll find it) on a 4 eye hatch and it's just amazing, you likely would not go to his extreme but damn the finished product is jaw dropping,
Just thinking about what I would do, mostly because your car is so complete.
That's my goal man. I'm taking it back to as close to original as possible, a dash appears to be the hardest part to get in all honesty since my dad searched for years but could not find one in good shape. The only thing he wants to do was switch to black carpet with grey seats which is what I plan to do myself.

The gauges started cutting in and out on me when I was driving it last night so I need to address that, any ideas on what would be causing that? Also the car has 58k on it, I was remembering the mileage wrong.

Thank you! I'm going to go through it and see what all I can find that I'm missing in my restoration plan. I am updating the lights though, those old sealed headlights leave a lot to be desired.

I attached a few pictures of it. It's rough and I have a long road ahead of me but it runs and drives great so that's a plus. Goal number one is just getting ahead of the body work primarily.
I have an ‘86 GT in silver, and it’s almost as rough-looking as yours!

A couple of observations:
- It appears to be a hatchback, while I think the SSP (police) cars were all notchbacks.
- The seats are not ‘86 seats
- I subscribe to a couple of Fox-body parts pages on Facebook, and periodically see nice dash units for the four-eye cars. You may want to check those out.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user
Since you have an 86 you need to worry about piston to valve clearance issues.
If i were you i would just consider the trick flow package and forget messing with random parts.
While i don't have an 86 many say the Twisted wedges clear.
Either that or you quite possibly will be rebuilding the entire engine.
I am NOT the authority on this issue, so do your research.

Looks like those front seat are from a newer car. Nice little project you have there!!
And that link Karthief sent you on that ‘86 is awesome...... definitely check it out.

Since you have an 86 you need to worry about piston to valve clearance issues.
If i were you i would just consider the trick flow package and forget messing with random parts.
While i don't have an 86 many say the Twisted wedges clear.
Either that or you quite possibly will be rebuilding the entire engine.
I am NOT the authority on this issue, so do your research.
I have an original ‘86 5.0. I added the TW 170 heads to mine, and no issues with piston-to-valve clearance. I’m running an E303 cam with it and 1.6 roller rockers.

Reactions: 1 users