In need of TQ specs of flywheel and pressure plate

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
Hey guys, its been a while since I did a clutch swap and I can't remember the torque specs. Off of memory I think the pressure plate is only around 20-25ftlbs and the flywheel is 75-80ftlbs. Is that right?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm doing a clutch swap this weekend (the NAPA replacement clutch can't handle the "new" power the FTI Combo provided)...going with a King Cobra...

I'm doing 80lbs on the flywheel (apply loctite) and 24lbs on the pressure plate (doing all these in stages...)...obviously you don't want to torque one to the final torque rating before doing any of the others...could cause warpage and other problems...

I wonder if one should put loctite on the PP bolts?

Anybody got tips on getting the pilot bearing out?

I got a kustom (correct spelling) from Walt at Pro Motion. It is a setup used by a lot of pure street and real street cars. It has an organic surface on one side, and a metalic on the other. The pressure plate is a blue printed FMS style HD unit. Its supposedly good for 700hp in a 3200lb car, so it should take anything my car will throw at it. At least I hope so!

Thanks 5spdGT. I always got my pilot bearings out using the grease packing method and a brass rod the same size as the tip on the input shaft of the tranny. I never had any luck with the slide hammer method. Something I never did before was to put thread sealant on the flywheels bolts whihc is recommended as the bolt holes go all the way through the crank.

Killercanary said:
I got a kustom (correct spelling) from Walt at Pro Motion. It is a setup used by a lot of pure street and real street cars. It has an organic surface on one side, and a metalic on the other. The pressure plate is a blue printed FMS style HD unit. Its supposedly good for 700hp in a 3200lb car, so it should take anything my car will throw at it. At least I hope so!

Thanks 5spdGT. I always got my pilot bearings out using the grease packing method and a brass rod the same size as the tip on the input shaft of the tranny. I never had any luck with the slide hammer method. Something I never did before was to put thread sealant on the flywheels bolts whihc is recommended as the bolt holes go all the way through the crank.

Sounds interesting. Im going to be in the clutch market come winter.. My clutch was stinking bad on my DR passes at the track.. You will have to lead me onto a good clutch. Seems like most prefer the spec3, but i remember you having a very good reason to not use it, i cant remember exactly what the reasoning was though. We'll talk on aim about it.

Killer, sounda a lot like the clutch combo im using only mines not blueprinted. I got it from d&d perf. They said its a mcleod disk and im running a king cobra pressure plate. Does this sound familiar (from d&d's site)?

70% more capacity than stock. $299 Kevlar on flywheel side; organic on pressure plate side of disc.

If so, I think you'll like it. It doesnt slip or chatter. It doesnt hit extremely hard and you can slip it. I paid $279 for it just before they raised the price (it was 269 but i paid $10 extra for the king cobra pp instead of the ehavier hd)

Killercanary said:

Hmm...so what do you think...put thread sealer on the bolts and loctite or what?...Loctite would kind of do the job of both right? :shrug: Interesting point...