Is it safe to put the car in gear with the rear on jack stands

First thing I would do is call MM. Their customer support has long been considered among the best in the business. They may be able to help you out here, make sure that everything went together as it should, etc.

I am assuming the energy suspension bushings are polyurethane? I do wonder if you aren't getting some extra NVH from those. I assume there was grease supplied when you did the install?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

First thing I would do is call MM. Their customer support has long been considered among the best in the business. They may be able to help you out here, make sure that everything went together as it should, etc.

I am assuming the energy suspension bushings are polyurethane? I do wonder if you aren't getting some extra NVH from those. I assume there was grease supplied when you did the install?
They didn’t come with grease but I bought some separately and put plenty. One thing I’m remembering now is those plastic nut retainers that the sway bar brackets bolt into broke on both sides which I heard is very common. So I just got rid of that plastic piece and held the top nut with a wrench and tightened it that way. I don’t see how that would cause any NVH though since everything is tight.

Is your car an automatic?
Prop up your hood, start the car, put it in reverse and with your foot firmly on the brake, slowly apply some power..... Watch and see how much your engine moves..
I am not suggesting chasing motor mounts.. Just checking on how much movement your drivetrain has, as thats when your problem seems to exist, based on your comments.... This is free and takes maybe a minute...... Check your transmission mount also.....
As said above, double check the last items you replaced or worked on.....

They didn’t come with grease but I bought some separately and put plenty. One thing I’m remembering now is those plastic nut retainers that the sway bar brackets bolt into broke on both sides which I heard is very common. So I just got rid of that plastic piece and held the top nut with a wrench and tightened it that way. I don’t see how that would cause any NVH though since everything is tight.

You could disconnect the rear sway bar and see if the noise goes away. It's not required for driving.

Take a rubber hammer and wack things like the exhaust system in several places, fuel tank, make sure the spare tire and jack are secure if present, axle housing, shocks, floor pan, you may need to con a buddy to ride in the back and hunt the rattle.
I hit everything and the only thing that rattled was the passenger side exhaust where it curves up its touching the floor like we talked about in my other thread. I just don’t get why it didn’t rattle when I put the car in gear on the stands that’s making me think that might not be it.

Fingers too…… keep the fingers away from that rotating stuff!!
So I had a buddy of mine drive the car real slow while I walked next to it and the sound is definitely coming from the middle right under the center console. I investigated that area and found that the smog pump metal line was rattling up against the header. I zip tied the smog line away but the rattle still did not go away. Tomorrow I’ll look for more stuff in that area.

In your E brake thread a week or so ago, i commented that your parking brake cable was rubbing on the driveshaft. You might want to try and trim off the excess threaded rod

1659533235266.png

• Wow
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure it’s a groove. I think it’s an illusion based on the darker coloring of the scrape blending into the darker driveshaft tunnel making it look like there is depth. Would need a better pic but it looks like light scraping to me.

I’m not sure it’s a groove. I think it’s an illusion based on the darker coloring of the scrape blending into the darker driveshaft tunnel making it look like there is depth. Would need a better pic but it looks like light scraping to me.
I’m not sure either, so I hope Anthony checked it out. The threads would have to be harder than the driveshaft shaft to do a lot of cutting quickly.

We used to play tricks on the car salesmen every Friday
We would make one of them buy us a bottle of whiskey
One would sell a car or truck and have it back in detail
One of us techs would slide underneath it and attach a big wire tie to the driveline
The salesman would jump in it to pull it around for delivery (and notice the bad clicking noise)
He or she would be in a panic (about to loose a sale)
We would convince them that a tech would try to fix it right away if he hit the liquor store real quick
While they were down at the jar store we would remove the wire tie and give them a repair story when they returned

Is it turely safe? The short answer is no. Even with the wheels chalked, it could still vibrate things enough to shake off the stands.
However, as someone mentioned above, sometimes, you gotta do, what you gotta do.
Also, like mentioned above, it you can have someone inside the car ready to shut things down if something should go wrong, that would be a great idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users