Is it safe to put the car in gear with the rear on jack stands

I feel safer with my 6 ton vs my 3 ton... The base has a larger footprint.....Plus sometimes I do not even have to ratchet them up any.....

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Having the rear end up on jack stands and running the engine in gear to warm up the rear diff is common practice at the drag strip first thing in the morning. It is faster than driving around in the pits to warm up the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Having the rear end up on jack stands and running the engine in gear to warm up the rear diff is common practice at the drag strip first thing in the morning. It is faster than driving around in the pits to warm up the car.
Major upgrade from just using your jack...... LOL......

A lot of people do that, even though it is against Track "rules".
When I worked at a Service Station ( thats what they used to be called before selling chips and soda's) in HIgh School, I can't count the number of times I jacked up cars with the big ole leaky jack we had and slid under them on a creeper... Just didn't know unsafe this was. Fortunately I didn't have to learn it the hard way....

I had the 'ol' grease rack' to work under, it had a pole that released and swung down and you had to let the rack down a little so the bottom of the pole rested on the concrete, if you didn't it would drop an inch or so suddenly, I have used that feature to keep nosey customer from hang'n under the rack.
man was that a greasy mess, until I started working there it had not been cleaned in like 30 years :doh: