Is there a 5 lug rear brake rotor option for the '88 T-Bird turbo coupe setup?

thezonster

Apr 25, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I did the '94'04 Cobra 5 lug front brake swap onto my '85 GT last week.

Now I need to convert the rear end to 5 lug.

I have an 8.8" rear end with the '88 Thunderbird turbo coupe 4 lug rear disc brake set up with 10" rotors.

Once I get the new 5 lug axles, what rotors do I use, or will I need to have my 4 lug rotors drilled to 5 lug?

• Sponsors (?)

There is

Originally posed by Jrichtker

Five lug Turbo Coupe conversion:
Use the 94-98 axles Mustang axles. Use 1990 Mazda MPV 3.0 V6 front rotors (10", 5 lug x 4.5" pattern, 2 7/16" offset ). While you are at the auto parts store, set a TC rear rotor side by side with the Mazda rotor and they are the same except for the offset.

The next step fixes the offset problem:
Use a Maximum MotorSports 1/8 spacer (MMWS6, Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension ) between the inside of the rotor and the axle flange. The spacers may need to have the OD machined to fit properly. The stock rotor offset is 2 5/16" and the Mazda rotors are 2 7/16" offset. The 1/8" spacer puts the rotor back dead center alignment with the calipers.

The Mazda rotors are under $30 each, and I have seen them for $20 each. The MM spacers are two for $30 + $9 shipping. So the entire package costs $99. That saves $41, which most of us could find a very good use for.

Your rear calipers will now be 45mm vs standard Sn95 38mm pistons, so you may need to upside your MC slightly to compensate. Which MC do you plan to run?

Reactions: 1 user