is this a good deal or am i getting screwed. (GT40 head plsu RR)

stockstang23

Jun 7, 2005
a buddy of mine is willing to part with his Gt40 heads from his cobra for 475..it also has some RR on it.

basicly what i have now is a stock motor, aside from bigger TB and CAI. it has gear and new igniton and a 190 fuel pump.

my "plan" is TFS stage 1 cam, GT40 heads, posibly tick flow intake, and i have nitrous kit ready to bolt up asap.

Since im new to 5.0 tell whats up with these head.

Be nice to me im a newb but i hawked my Ls1 to retun to the stable where i once was many years ago :nice:

(sorry about spelling)

• Sponsors (?)

Considering he's a friend…..I wouldn’t consider it a deal.

You can find those heads for under $300 complete…and the rr's can be had for around $100

I bought a low mileage explorer engine which comes with gt-40p heads and gt40 intake for $500.

millhouse said:
Considering he's a friend…..I wouldn’t consider it a deal.

You can find those heads for under $300 complete…and the rr's can be had for around $100

I bought a low mileage explorer engine which comes with gt-40p heads and gt40 intake for $500.

Well sucks for me then i gusse....but dont the P version need some extra crap to make them fit?

i've been looking for a better deal but it seems that for Cobra GT40 heads i ant find any..maybe hes takeing advatage of suply and demand :nono:

offer him 450 for them. need to consider when its all said and done, you should probably get new pushrods too with the rr's. all the gaskets, all the labor, ect.

the p heads need different headers

88SC_GT said:
offer him 450 for them. need to consider when its all said and done, you should probably get new pushrods too with the rr's. all the gaskets, all the labor, ect.

the p heads need different headers

new pushrods huh? what the reason for that :shrug:

With the rr's included, I don't think he's getting ripped off. No need for headers with the non-P heads also. I didn't say it's impossible to find a better deal out there, just that that's not a bad one. Offer him less, and see if he takes it.

stockstang23 said:
new pushrods huh? what the reason for that :shrug:

if i remember correctly pushrods arent supposed to be swapped around after they have been used. like lifters. i re-used my stock ones a few times without problems, we marked each one though and put them back in the exact same spots.

they are only like 30 dollars for a new set reguardless.

I would say get them only if you are going to get them ported. I know I am going to get flamed, but to me it is not worth the effort of a head swap to put on non-ported GT40 heads. I had my stock heads ported and if I could do it over I would just have gone aftermarket. Good luck with your decision.

hey if your intrested i have a set of ported E7's, they have comp springs (good for up too .600lift) comp retainers & comp keepers, and have 1.6 scorpin rr, they only have 1300miles on them since they were rebuilt with new seals and decked, heads flow 210+cfm range, they were my old heads i sold to a friend , but he got a new 2005 GT and took off all his mods old hatch so he could make some money to buy a supercharger for his new mustang since they would only give $4000 for his car for a trade in. ill sell them for $350 since my other friend is putting a chevy 350 in his stang, insted of building his 302 :shrug:

Xtreme Limits said:
hey if your intrested i have a set of ported E7's, they have comp springs (good for up too .600lift) comp retainers & comp keepers, and have 1.6 scorpin rr, they only have 1300miles on them since they were rebuilt with new seals and decked, heads flow 210+cfm range, they were my old heads i sold to a friend , but he got a new 2005 GT and took off all his mods old hatch so he could make some money to buy a supercharger for his new mustang since they would only give $4000 for his car for a trade in. ill sell them for $350 since my other friend is putting a chevy 350 in his stang, insted of building his 302 :shrug:

what are E7's how do these compare with the GT40s :shrug:

I would say the iron GT40's are enough improvement over stock to make the swap worthwhile. I liked the first set of original iron GT40's well enough to by a second set. The price seems right, if they can be bolted on with no rework, and the rockers come with them.

The pushrods that are in the engine should work fine. I used the same ones that were on the previous heads. I think they were on the 78 heads originally. I did keep them in order, but if you don't, it probably won't kill anything, at least for a long, long, while. I did not keep the rockers in the same order, just pulled them and installed them however. Seems to work fine, even with well worn stock pedestal rockers, 3 years later. With Comp Springs, (my major upgrade) this engine pulls to 6000 anytime, and has run into the 12's.

super302 said:
E7's, technically called E7TE's are the stock heads on 5.0 mustangs, they blow compared to gt40's

yes they are heads off of 5.0's but when ported they out flow Gt40's by as much as 25cfmif they are ported rite, and by no means blow. ive see people run 11's and 12's all day long with ported e7's, now if you port out gt40's youll have about 15-30cfm more flow then ported e7's depending on the port & polish job. also the e7's i have flow 210+cfm on intake an flow low 150's on the exhast and thats way better then stock non-ported heads, and alittle better then gt40's and gt40p's and almost match the gt40x's :banana:

i got ported e7's on my vert and use to run 12.8's and thats with a vert(with a 5 speed leaving the line in 2nd at 5000rpm, and shifting at 5900rpm) hopefully i can run low to mid 13's with my AOD installed next time i go to the track :) , man do i hate t5 trannys, 5 trannys down(Who's next) Time to see what a stock aod can take, before i build it for 750+hp , then finely build my 331/347 stroker with twins or mabey just a baby F-1r :D