just bought an '85 LTD wagon, next?

This rig is pretty claped out. A member here suggested I post @ this forum for assistance ("Y not start a build thread?"). I'm called 'wagonman' round here and have been w/o for 4 yrs (honda sedan/'70 Bronco...well kawie bike, boats, etc). For 3 yrs B4 that I began searchin the fox wagon ('78/86) as it;s right sized. Some much better conditions but 10 hr round trip, the other coast, Fla, MidWest, etc. Even got ripped off by flee-bay itself. Tired of the search I got what I could (2 hr 1 way)...

Tq boxes are OK, floor boards gone, transmission leek (will find out Y in 2 daze when I p/u w/my trailer). It will stretch my limits and pocket book but I seek a DD to last thru my end times (yes, I'm that ol). I think my 1st Qs are - how much is available after mrkt for these? I'm not familiar w/the era stang but believe lots fits from them. Do they make floor pans for them - B alot quicker to mig in than build from skratch...

Panels R OK (cept hood) certainly nota body man (skill, tools, arthritis of the hands). This might B a drive while rest0mod. Have not decided if I'll strip then rebuild or do peacemeal...

Thanks for lookin in,
- -Chad
Amherst
MA

• Sponsors (?)

ford_ltd_wagon_black_1985.jpg

From Ford literature

ahhhh, the biggest problem will B that very thing. No pic. I hope I dont hafta abandon this .

Car not home till Sun, no camera, phone (of the type) or ability to get them up/on here. Altho in the habit of computer use since '66 (PC since '80s) I have no skill in photo/vid interface. Good ta CU here John. Thnx for the visit.

"...So that's like the Fairmont..."
Sure is - grenad-a/couger/fairmont/zepher/ltd/marquis/stang/etc

thnx Kruisr.
Know any 1 who stamps out floor boards (driver/pass)? If it were a p/u - at the cab corner...this is the corner by the tail pipe, needs replace. Wonder if its plastic'n just fell off? See the headlghts? the boxy surround (that 4, 6 inch side/floor) may B gone/cracked...

I was looking up some dimensional info on these. Your wagon is 5 inches longer wheelbase than a Mustang (105 vs 100). I would look into seeing if a replacement floor pan section for a Fox would work for your car, at least from the toe board to the rise for the rear seat. If not it might be useful to cut up into patches.

I had a 78 Fairmont 4dr with an incline 6 around 2000. Got it for free, drove it 4 or 5 years and then unfortunately let it rot away. It would have been fun to have in decent shape now to play with.

Found this on the internet of someone's toy

Campbell-LTD7.jpg

Personally I would want the stance in the rear a little higher. Looks like a 70's vette and firebird squatting in the back

yup, that's it
"...a replacement floor pan section for a Fox..."
Thnx again Kruisr
Y I stopped by here. Who makes 'em? If I saw the online catelogue, it had deminsions, I could design extensions or something easier than going from skratch (I'd imagine). I use LQK (a national) cuz they deliver. Not even close to a body man (I hate that & ele wrk) I have low skill, arthritis of the hands. This kinda idea seems reasonable. Who do folks use?
(funny, this here rig is the same color as "the toy". Mine will B a DD).

I had a 78 Fairmont 4dr with an incline 6 around 2000. Got it for free, drove it 4 or 5 years and then unfortunately let it rot away. It would have been fun to have in decent shape now to play with.
I hopped for that motor (3.3/200) in what ever wagon I bought. I have a 4.1/250 in my '70 bronk. Its simply a stroked 3.3. Its a lill tq monster (& i6 means low rev peak ) which is excellent off rd. No tire spin. The 200 is a lill rev-er. There's a head or 2 I'd like if I had one (I have 3 of the 6 ThriftPower motors 170, 2 of the 4.1). Love to turbo the 144/2.3, should have put the 300/4.9 in the bronk.

Ether head would B great in the LTD w/200:
VI (from Classic Inlines) head & seperate intake
/OR/
Oz 2v iron head ('66-72 I think, a XF?)
"...should be somewhat comparable to the 250 2V iron heads that they had over in Australia, but these large logs having bigger ports should flow much more. I had tried for years to get ahold of one of the Austrailian 2V heads and even paid for one that never got shipped. I am going to do a cut off log on my next small block build if I can get ahold of an extra head, I have the info from a 2V head so I will just make my own and then build a custom intake. If you can get on the list for the Aluminum 2V Head from V.I. It's the best head you can use. There is also the Argentina 221 SP heads in Aluminum they are real beauties, that are also made new I don't know what shipping would be to get one with an intake..."
It was right B4 the X-Flow 6 (evolved into the Barra) but by the x-flow they were making their wn block. Some here fit it to the usa block but I don't need the 500HP nor the hassel to make the bolt-on plate, etc.

AND
THNX! for Y/M/M w/LKQ (LQK?, LMV? whatever they R). THAT is the exact reason I'm on a forum for this vehicle. & Y I got it - close to 25 yrs (more?) of swap-ins...

I missed the boat on the p/u tomorrow. Seller is pissed (well...he's pissed @ any/every thing). "Get that junk offa my property!" LKQ brings new panels, etc (lota japenese cars show up here in need of new bumper covers, they're the cheapest & like said - deliver, no need to leave the shop). $10,000 Aluma Tilt-car trailer hasa 100$ junk truck stuck on it 8^ (

same '85 LTD wagon w/3.8.
I got C5 stuff for the transmis. Pan gasket IDed my new to me as havin a C4. Good.

OP cut out the cats to sell (I assume) as no exhaust from there back (muff'n tail pile swingin @ trailer home 2 hr).
Stopped trans leak w/pump gasket (the 5 fit). Pulled ex. stubs at manifold for easier instal than the drop.

Is there a Y pipe w/o the cats for these? I assume it's big bucks for the one as it has 2 cats? I need a system manifold to tail pipe...
There's a spare muffler in the back on the shop floor. May be go 2-into-one way up frnt w/muff way back in correct location
where ever that was...
EDIT:
Hummmm, looks like Y-1 cat, -intermediate, -muff, -l o n g tail pipe. MayB just geta good Y & make the rest here. Still like 2no if justa Y is available...

Know what stang exterior windshield chrome fits the driver's side? '79/93 all do? My '70 bronk is just a 4WD mustang...
If I cant get the head light bezels will the tarus like nose (stang face lift '87/93) fit? Be pretty strange lookin goin down the rd, no?

Thank you for lookin in~

Last edited:
same '85 LTD wagon w/3.8.
I got C5 stuff for the transmis. Pan gasket IDed my new to me as havin a C4. Good.

OP cut out the cats to sell (I assume) as no exhaust from there back (muff'n tail pile swingin @ trailer home 2 hr).
Stopped trans leak w/pump gasket (the 5 fit). Pulled ex. stubs at manifold for easier instal than the drop.

Is there a Y pipe w/o the cats for these? I assume it's big bucks for the one as it has 2 cats? I need a system manifold to tail pipe...
There's a spare muffler in the back on the shop floor. May be go 2-into-one way up frnt w/muff way back in correct location
where ever that was...

Know what stang exterior windshield chrome fits the driver's side? '79/93 all do? My '70 bronk is just a 4WD mustang...
If I cant get the head light bezels will the tarus like nose (stang face lift '87/93) fit? Be pretty strange lookin goin down the rd, no?

Thank you for lookin in~

Sweet. I'll move it to the "same '85 LTD wagon w/3.8" thread. :D