Just came into possession of an 88 mustang GT, Need some assistance

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Good morning. I recently came into possession of an 88 mustang GT 5.0 Automatic Convertible. I'm the 3rd owner, the last owner bought it in 89 and has had it ever since. I've been cautiously going through the vehicle identifying what has been done to the car. I can't ask the prior owner because he is no longer with us. That being said. How do I identify the fuel injectors that I have in the car? Do I need to pull the intake to see what size they are?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What color are they?

Orange will be 19#
Blue will be 24#
Red will be 30#

There are more but I figure I start there. Can also post pics to help ID what you have

1557190481495.png

Thanks for your feedback. Went out last night to check things out. Battery, dead as a stone... I think I have a battery drain in this, not looking forward to that. pulled the fuse panel in the car, more empty slots than full (Oh, Joy!) Going to start with a fresh battery as this one is old. Then start plugging things back in and watch and wait. If anyone has suggestions (I've read some of the electrical troubleshooting threads) and possibly recommendations on test equipment etc it will be very much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I think I have the correct thread (so go easy on me if I don't ) I recently came to be the 3rd owner of an 88 GT convertible. The battery was dead when I picked it up, no big deal, sat all winter... Now I notice quite a few fuses have been pulled (found that out because the horn started blowing on its own) Any common culprits for battery drain in these? Please throw some pointers at me.

Thanks

88 mustang gt convertible, auto trans, stock motor (headers and 70mm throttle body are only non-stock items, that I can see), custom stereo, has an additional hood lock, which might indicate some type of anti-theft (not sure) under-hood light disconnected, 3rd brake light disconnected, power mirrors do not work and a number of fuses missing from dashboard fuse box, not sure about under-hood. replaced battery cable terminals and cleaned posts. That's all I can think of.

There are several things with fox cars that cause electrical issues.
start with inspecting the ignition switch under the dash, it is attached to the steering column, the connection gets overheated and melts. Same with the headlight switch, multifunction switch.
the technical/how to thread has lots of information on diagnostic and upgrades.
one more thing, get a good repair manual specific to the year/model your working on. Look for a Ford licensed assembly manual.

I have one for my 89 gt, sooooo much better than a chilton or haynes.
Keep us posted with pics and what you do repairing it here in this thread and the members will follow along and hopefully not laugh to hard ahhh,I mean they will cheer you on :nice:

Oh, I'm sure they'll get a good laugh out of my trek through the fox body electrical system. It's been quite a while since I went down this path and never on a fox body. I'll be leaning on the experts pretty heavily.

Reactions: 1 user
While having a wonderul time chasing down all the electrical components that don't seem to work. I came across an irritating issue. The under hood light for my 88gt does not work. While itnot a huge deal, I can't find a replacement and find almost no reference to it (anywhere). Any thoughts or pointers on where to get one or something similar to a stock one?
Thanks

While having a wonderul time chasing down all the electrical components that don't seem to work. I came across an irritating issue. The under hood light for my 88gt does not work. While itnot a huge deal, I can't find a replacement and find almost no reference to it (anywhere). Any thoughts or pointers on where to get one or something similar to a stock one?
Thanks
They only made that type of under hood light in '87 & '88. There are no replacements available.
The horn going off is the foam behind the horn button, has degraded allowing the contacts to touch. You can fix it for free with some packing material foam.

I have had battery drain in two different foxbodies caused by a bad alternator. You can unplug the alternator for a day or so and see if the battery still drains. If not, replace the alternator.