KB 1.7 on GT of 03/04 Cobra for daily driver?

Black2K1

May 7, 2003
Raleigh, NC
KB 1.7 on GT or 03/04 Cobra for daily driver?

I have been trying to decide whether to keep my GT and get the KB 1.7 kit or get a 03/04 Cobra. Since the car will be my daily driver for a while I want to make the right decision. If I keep the GT I will have a lower car payment and lower insurance. If I get a Cobra I will have a forged bottom end, a 4v, and a 6spd trans. I like the idea of having a GT that looks stock on the outside and could take out anything short of a Viper, Z06, and modified 03/04 Cobra. However, having a Cobra sort of puts you in a different league. My car only has 30,000 miles and I would not get forged internals right away if I kept it with the KB.

Has anyone been in this situation? What would you do? Remember that this will be a daily driver for atleast a year. Thanks for any help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Black2K1 said:
I have been trying to decide whether to keep my GT and get the KB 1.7 kit or get a 03/04 Cobra. Since the car will be my daily driver for a while I want to make the right decision. If I keep the GT I will have a lower car payment and lower insurance. If I get a Cobra I will have a forged bottom end, a 4v, and a 6spd trans. I like the idea of having a GT that looks stock on the outside and could take out anything short of a Viper, Z06, and modified 03/04 Cobra. However, having a Cobra sort of puts you in a different league. My car only has 30,000 miles and I would not get forged internals right away if I kept it with the KB.

Has anyone been in this situation? What would you do? Remember that this will be a daily driver for atleast a year. Thanks for any help in advance.
Cobra is my dream car.However, u should keep the GT and put a KB on it. I will pick up my KB GT today. :banana:
As for a daily driven, it is quite a sleeper

Black2K1 said:

Not that you can't daily drive a supercharged car.....But if this car is to be your only car, then a 03/04 Cobra with a warrenty makes way more sense then throwing an aftermarket s/c on your current GT.

I test drove an 03 Cobra today. The car is faster than my GT, but it did not throw me back in the seat like I thought it should. I did manage to scare the salesman. I guess he was not ready for the boost to kick in when I nailed it in 2nd. :shrug: They want $25,900 for the car and it has over 36k miles on it. I still can not make up my mind. 03/04 Cobra or KB 1.7 9psi kit? Does anybody else have any opinions or suggestions?

Coming from a guy who used to own a supercharged car, heres my input...

It depends on how much boost you want to run with the Kenne Bell on the GT. If you tune your car just right, and run a conservative amount of boost (below 9psi) then your GT should be more than fine for a daily driver. Your going to have to keep an eye on your setup though, and be sure to buy an EGT, Boost, and Fuel pressure gauge, which are IMO essential for safety reasons. That way you can make sure you have no leaks, that your making the proper amount of boost, and that your exhaust isnt getting too hot (which signals problems).

There was an 01 5spd GT at my track. Appeared totally stop except for some lowering springs and 18x10.5 bullit wheels. I expected to beat him up pretty good in my Cobra, but when that light turned green he smoked the living crap out of me. I later went up to him later, he popped the hood and there sat a Kenne Bell SC. He said he was pushing 500rwhp/630rwtq, but he also built the bottom end of his motor.

Make sure your engine is running healthy (compression test), buy a KB, and run a conservative amount of boost on a good tune. With all this along with the monitoring equipment mentioned about, and regular tune ups, you should have a reliable daily driver, and one hell of a sleeper.

If you're happy with a 500HP car (400+ rwhp) keep the GT and put the KB. If you want a 700HP car get the cobra and improve it with a KB later on .
Otherwise the 9psi KB on a stock GT will give you about 80rwhp more than a stock 03 cobra and much more fun, the KB is insane under boost!

Black2K1 said:
They want $25,900 for the car and it has over 36k miles on it.

Just so you know...that's a pretty terrible deal. I got a quote on a brand new '04 cobra coupe with no options for $31.4k after rebates. It worked out to $500 over invoice. Used cobra's with about 15k miles are going for $25-$26k.

I'd get the cobra :nice: Way more potential on those puppies, and better resale value.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think that I am going to keep my GT, get the KB, and eventually go forged and turn up the boost. However, if I come across a really good deal on a Cobra I may not be able to pass it up. The Cobra that I drove today was nice but I did not like the mileage (My 01 GT only has 30k on it) or the price. If I do get the KB I will more than likely go to T&J. I know that Tim will put a real safe tune on it. It would be hard to trade the GT in but it could happen. I would lose a little on trade, payments would go up, insurance would go up, and everyone would know that the Cobra is supposed to be fast. A sleeper GT would really suprise a lot of people.

I had the same "problem" a couple of weeks ago. I have a 02 GT convertible with minor mods (CAI, catback, springs/shocks/struts). I was considering trading it in for a 03 snake (convertible). This would have put me down about $10k. My other option was to beef up my GT and slap on the 9psi kit from KB.

I opted for the later. I know the history of my car, while I have no idea how much of a beating a used 03 SC cobra has taken. I did not feel comfortable with the risk, warranty or no warranty.

Joe

cobra vs blown gt

svtguy said:
Not that you can't daily drive a supercharged car.....But if this car is to be your only car, then a 03/04 Cobra with a warrenty makes way more sense then throwing an aftermarket s/c on your current GT.

20k for a 02 GT
4700 for KB

is far cheaper than paying 35 grand for a 03 cobra.

i was trying to decide the same thing. If you know you only want 400hp and that is your final goal go with the KB 1.7 That is what i'm going to do here in the next 2 weeks. Save some money and some INSURANCE.

If you know that you will not be happy with 400hp then get the cobra.

I am in the same boat and went for the KB option on my GT, I have had it for 10K plus miles and it is my daily driver and only means of transportaion. I am saving up for a built short block and possibly the 2.2L kit when it comes out for a serious GT that will look stock save for the hood. I have so much fun with my GT now it is rediculous. I can't get the smile off my face when I am driving, and it is so unsuspecting to the cobra/vette guys the amount of pull it has. Def keep the GT and enjoy the cobra power at the GT insurance level price!