Knock sensor for MS2 DIYPNP

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
Anyone have any experience installing a knock sensor on 302 running on a Megasquirt DIYPNP? As in, what sensor to use, mounting location, tuning setup. Thinking about putting one on my supercharged '89 as one of my winter projects on the car.

• Sponsors (?)

The ms2 has a very rudimentary knock sensor tuning interface, but it works... the best way is to use an external knock box and feed the signal into the ms. Look at knocksenseMS (spelling may be wrong) for a simple solution. As for the sensor I believe @90sickfox knows what to use it came stock on a 302 (or 351) so it has the right frequency.

The knock sensor for the mid 90s f150 with the 5.0 will work. It used to be almost impossible to find them new but now they are available.

I'm going to do the same to my turbo car. Already scored a knock sensor and harness from a 95 truck. My block has the tapped spot for it in the block behind the passenger side rear corner of the lower intake.

The knock sensor for the mid 90s f150 with the 5.0 will work. It used to be almost impossible to find them new but now they are available.

I'm going to do the same to my turbo car. Already scored a knock sensor and harness from a 95 truck. My block has the tapped spot for it in the block behind the passenger side rear corner of the lower intake.

Is that the preferred mounting location, or are there other options for mounting if I don't have a tapped hole on the back of the block?

That's where the factory mounted it. I'm sure it had something to do with the harmonics of the 302 block. LS engineers mount one on each side of the block.... sometimes they're located in the valley under the intake.

I'm no knock sensor expert. I don't know what a different location would do.

Reactions: 1 user