Hi all, so I have a 92 gt 5spd 122k miles all original no mods.
Runs and drives great. But it has a lopey/rough idle. Not the typical surging/hunting or hanging idle. It stays idle at below 1k Rpm's. But a very slight stumbling idle. Like a miss. Failed emissions test due to high nox.
I ran the self test codes and got the following contineous memory codes: 34 (egr/evr voltage below limit), 41,91 (lean codes both o2 sensors)
Engine running codes: 12 (can't hold idle while testing) 41,91.
What I've tried so far: cleaned distr cap terminals (inside) and rotor.
Checked only 2 spark plugs=looked great
Disconnected electric connector to iac valve=engine idles down to 550-600 Rpm's but really rough.
Disconnected egr vacuum hose=nothing changes.
Applied 5in of vacuum to egr vacuum port=engine idles slightly lower but does not stumble/die, and I can see the egr valve holds vacuum.
Disconnected egr vacuum hose and covered with finger=I felt a very faint vacuum at times.
Put vacuum gauge to egr vacuum hose which leads to evr hose, blipped throttle to 2500rpms=vacuum gauge barley moves at all.
Tomorow I'll try replacing the iac valve with a new motorcraft one. Will clean maf, and try to access 10 pin connectors (salt & peppers) to clean them.
But I have a feeling none of this will work. Emissions tech says prolly have carbon build up in egr passage going into intake manifold, and I need to pull off the intake to clean it out.
I'm at my wits end, I have allready read canned answers=the idle surge checklist and such.
What should I do?
Anyone?? Thanks.
Runs and drives great. But it has a lopey/rough idle. Not the typical surging/hunting or hanging idle. It stays idle at below 1k Rpm's. But a very slight stumbling idle. Like a miss. Failed emissions test due to high nox.
I ran the self test codes and got the following contineous memory codes: 34 (egr/evr voltage below limit), 41,91 (lean codes both o2 sensors)
Engine running codes: 12 (can't hold idle while testing) 41,91.
What I've tried so far: cleaned distr cap terminals (inside) and rotor.
Checked only 2 spark plugs=looked great
Disconnected electric connector to iac valve=engine idles down to 550-600 Rpm's but really rough.
Disconnected egr vacuum hose=nothing changes.
Applied 5in of vacuum to egr vacuum port=engine idles slightly lower but does not stumble/die, and I can see the egr valve holds vacuum.
Disconnected egr vacuum hose and covered with finger=I felt a very faint vacuum at times.
Put vacuum gauge to egr vacuum hose which leads to evr hose, blipped throttle to 2500rpms=vacuum gauge barley moves at all.
Tomorow I'll try replacing the iac valve with a new motorcraft one. Will clean maf, and try to access 10 pin connectors (salt & peppers) to clean them.
But I have a feeling none of this will work. Emissions tech says prolly have carbon build up in egr passage going into intake manifold, and I need to pull off the intake to clean it out.
I'm at my wits end, I have allready read canned answers=the idle surge checklist and such.
What should I do?
Anyone?? Thanks.