• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Launching Issues - need some advise.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 90mustangGT
  • Start date Start date Sep 24, 2004

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
2,773
17
89
Dallas, GA
Sep 24, 2004
#1
  • Sep 24, 2004
  • #1
Launch under 2000rpm = the car hooks, front come up, rpm's drop and it bogs.
Launch over 2000rpm = Tire spin.
Drop clutch fast = weight tranfers but at low rpm's it bogs, high rpm's tires spin.
Slip clutch = weight does not transfer well, tires spin.
What works best is to start at about 1500rpm and press down the gas as I let off the clutch in a controlled drop but it still tends to bog.

Should I just keep practicing launching or is a certian part hurting me. I am thinking the 275/40R17 Nitto's don't have enough sidewall. Another thing that I can think of is the HPM Megabite JR's being set to the upper hole, which puts them on their 85% level. Maby set them to the 135% level to get the tires to hit the pavment better, although the suspension might start to unload, the weight should be transfered.

Any suggestions, please do.
 

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Sep 24, 2004
#2
  • Sep 24, 2004
  • #2
I've pulled a 2.08 60 ft. (w/ bolt-ons, full exhaust, and 373's) on 245/50/16 radials...I brought the rpms to 2000 and when the light turns green...I give it a bit more gas and a little slip and I'm off...

I've always seemed to have the best look doing a little slip on radials...but you have DR's and could be a different scenario...
 

11sec87

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2001
161
0
16
ill
Sep 24, 2004
#3
  • Sep 24, 2004
  • #3
1.8s are respectable numbers. I had the my best 60fts side stepping the clutch at around 4000. stock suspension though.
good luck
 

11sec87

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2001
161
0
16
ill
Sep 24, 2004
#4
  • Sep 24, 2004
  • #4
sorry, that was a 85 302,t-5, not my 87.
 

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
2,773
17
89
Dallas, GA
Sep 25, 2004
#5
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #5
I'm just going to have to keep on trying new things I guess. I am going to try putting the controll arms on the other level to try to get it to hit the pavment harder.
 

_jb_

New Member
Mar 4, 2004
808
0
0
Michigan, Berrien County
Sep 25, 2004
#6
  • Sep 25, 2004
  • #6
Just play around with it...the car that is.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2006 S197 Gt Traction Issues!
  • Btrainfiveoh
  • Apr 26, 2016
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
3K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- May 5, 2016
Svtpilot
  • Locked
Just Some Suggestion's For Foxes
  • Detroiit
  • Jul 24, 2014
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2014
Noobz347
need some help and advice
  • BlackO3GT
  • Sep 22, 2008
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
829
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 27, 2008
BlackO3GT
F
2010 Shelby Super Snake First Test
  • fox1x
  • Aug 12, 2009
  • 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech
Replies
4
Views
5K
2010 - 2014 Specific Tech Aug 13, 2009
Buck Turgidson
B
New 10.5 Bogarts w/STIFF Sided slicks *PICS*
  • 04_snake
  • Sep 6, 2007
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
0
Views
2K
SVT Tech Forum Sep 6, 2007
04_snake
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?