lets talk engines. your list of the best engines ever made and the future of them.

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
In your opinion what is your top ten or so list of the best engines made wether it be for durability, longevity in production, how it changed the motoring world, exotic motors and racing.

Also what is your opinion on the future of the internal combustion engine, the future of the V8 and if small displacement/turbo engines are really teh save all.

• Sponsors (?)

1)GM gen III/IV V8's. Extremely responsive, easy to work on, readily available, and the hp:dollar ratio is astonishing.
2) Cummins turbo diesel. Can move mountains. Nuff said.
3) windsor small block. Common and can be shoved in damn near anything. Only downside is that you need to pony up some cash to make them competative.
4) Ford 2.3. Turbo charged or not this is a great engine that is simplistic and extremely durable. Mated to a 5 speed and a set of 4:10 gears they will get up and move.

1)GM gen III/IV V8's. Extremely responsive, easy to work on, readily available, and the hp:dollar ratio is astonishing.
2) Cummins turbo diesel. Can move mountains. Nuff said.
3) windsor small block. Common and can be shoved in damn near anything. Only downside is that you need to pony up some cash to make them competative.
4) Ford 2.3. Turbo charged or not this is a great engine that is simplistic and extremely durable. Mated to a 5 speed and a set of 4:10 gears they will get up and move.

Good ones.

engines like the Hemi, Boss 302 and 350 would be on most peoples list for sure but some others on my list..

slant six, GM straight six and the ford straight six..totally durable motors.

also like the SBF, anything Cosworth, vintage Ferrari, love the 429 cobra jet to name a few.

I'm still hoping the V8 has a long term future and isn't found on low production vehicles. good read in the new motor trend on the new F150 motor line up comparing the truck version of the 5.0. and the ecoboost ( also the 3.7 and 6.2), they are pretty close but they need to do a test when hauling to see if the eco truck will be on boost most of time and consuming more fuel vs the V8 looking at the power charts.

The under hood packaging is a nightmare on the these small ecoboost cars ( looked at a few at the dealers ) so long term labor cost could an issue vs actual savings and verdic is out on longevity. It's like owning a Toyota prius long term and then needing to buy a battery when it dies out at 3 grand ( just read a story on this), it totally wipes out the savings of owning it vs something like Focus.

VQ37HR (or the VQ35HR or DE)....Nissans flagship V6. I love this motor. V6, 330HP revs great, sounds great, torque for a V6. Its like a mini ford DoHC.

Ford DOHC's...same reason as above...but two more cylinders.

For a 4-banger...let me think about that.

Agree with all mentioned thus far, especially the GM and Ford straight 6 engines.

A few others:

- GM 3.8 V6 3800 - Series III specifically, very reliable powerful engines (especially with a supercharger).
- Nissan VQ35 3.5 V6 - Found in 02+ Maxima's/Altimas/Muranos/350z/G35 etc, awesome power output very reliable and quite decent fuel economy for 240+ hp depending on the application.
- Toyota 22RE - Classic 4 banger found in 85-95 Toyota small pickups and 4runners, certainly not powerhouses but again very reliable and good low end for a 4.
- GM/Olds Quad 4 - Most notably in the 2.3L version, 91-93 found in W41 Olds 442/Olds Achieva SCX and in a slightly different variation in the Beretta GTZ/Z26. It then went on to become the 2.4L twin cam found in Cavalier Z24's, Sunfire GT's, Grand Am's, etc.

I am hoping as well that advanced V8's such as the new Coyote 5.0 will keep modern V8's in production for a long while.

03-04 cobra motor (all bad ass)
351w (so much potential)
2.4l dodge w turbo (almost 300lbs tq stock)
efi yamaha R1 engines (they will take you for a ride)
300 inline 6 (they run forever)
mazda rotary w turbo (crazy that they even work)
289 hi po (k code) i forgot to add this one but it was a major part of shelby and ford

Not in any ranking order.

1. Chevy 265ci, this engine was introduced in the 1955 Chevy Bell Air, then the muscle car era took off, this engine set the bar. Competitors took notice and BOOM, history was changed forever.

2. Ford 302, basically put Ford on the map (getting an assist from the Mustang). Ford knocked this one out of the park. Let's just say nothing sounds better than 302 with and aftermarket exhaust. As soon as you hear the sound it brings you back to the day you first heard.

3. Chrysler Hemi, Chrysler was always a step behind GM and Ford. When they decided to introduce V-8 power they took a blank piece of paper and created something truly unique.

4. GM's 350ci, they decided to out do Ford's 302 with more cubic inches. Parts are plentiful and affordable. Most modified GM cars run this motor and can bet it will be here for a long long time.

5. The Diesel engine, if this wasn't around we would be paying out the nose for everything. I watch "American Trucker" on the Speed channel and these drivers should be commended on a job well done. Many have accident free driving records after 50 years.

VQ37HR....Nissans flagship V6. I lose this motor. V6, 330HP revs great, sounds great, torque for a V6. Its like a mini ford DoHC.

Ford DOHC's...same reason as above...but two more cylinders.

For a 4-banger...let me think about that.

yeah ford duratecs great motors, could pile some miles on them. The 2.3L HSC was a great longevity motor, small on power but dead reliable. The zetecs are pretty much the same way. The 4 cyl motors in the early cavaliers and chryslers where pretty low maint and ran good, even leaking oil like a sive. cannot forget the 318, 440 and some of the AMC V8s either.

great list sofar

I'm a motor head. my list revolves around significant advances in design that led me to where I am today. In other words, I don't care about diesels, wankels, boxers, or any acheivement from the company that brought us the Gran Turismo Olemagato.

So My gearhead list (In order)

Ford flat head. original hot rod V8. A flat head was the springboard for the "hobby" we know as hot-rodding. They were the 5.0 of their day, and the aftermarket still builds junk for these things.

The 265 SBC. The engine basically remained the same for 50 years, until the debut of the LS. The Bane of my existence for all of my adult life.

The Chrysler hemi. Starting as a lowly 358? or some crap like that, the engine basically "morphed" into the 426, and became the premier engine in both NHRA, and NASCAR. It is still the basic platform for all things TF/FC.

The 427 Cammer or SOHC. Fords original attempt at a hemi. (only w/ dual OHC's activated by a 6' long timing chain) Ford rated it's output at 615 hp. NASCAR outlawed the engine after it started killing everybody else. It spent the next several years in the NHRA helping factory ford racers keep up ( and beat) the Dodge boys.

The BBC. Introduced in the middle 60's as a 396 ( I still love saying the numbers) That engine came in all sort of evil configurations until It ended up being the highest rated production HP you could buy in 1970 in the form of the 454 SS chevelle.

The "Shotgun" or Boss 429. Offered in both a street version, and a race version, This engine came closer to being a true hemi, but still lacked the hemispherical combustion chambers like the chrysler. It was called a "semi hemi" instead. It was significant because it was made in a street version to allow Ford to play in NASCAR w/ the race version. It wasn't outlawed like the SOHC, and Ford finally had an engine they could hand chrysler's ass to.

The Boss 302. Again built as a street version so they could play in the trans-am circuit. The intake ports were big enough to literally get your hand into, and as a street car it was a lousy driver because of that. But once you got it past 4500 RPM.......

The 5.0. Wouldn't be what it is today if the aftermarket hadn't got behind it the way they did. After suffering for 30 years as a 260/289/302/351W with chicken-dick stock heads, World products was the first to finally give the little engine a new lease on life. And a way for Ford racers to finally beat that chevy ass.

The LS-1 Still a pushrod engine but w/ better design all around and durability to match.

The 4cam Mod motor. For better or worse, ( at least in this forum) Probably fords last V8. the platform that will see Ford through the end of "no replacement for displacement" where turbo/forced induction 6's and 4's will become the way of the future.

Thats 10, if you asked for 20 engines, some pontiac and Buick junk would've probably thrown in as well.

I don't think the v8s are going anywhere. They are surpassing the HP numbers that the big blocks of the sixties made and are getting gas mileage that most 4 bangers 10 short years ago could only dream of.

My list (some I have owned):

Flathead Ford V8 - 21-year production run, probably inspired the whole hot rod movement, was on Ward's list of the 10 best engines of the 20th century. I had a flathead in a 40' Ford coupe when I was a kid and it would light 'em up ! And it's making a comeback of sorts, in blower form !

All Boss engines - 302, 351, 429

Windsor engines - 351 and of course our beloved 5.0. Mine has close to 250 K on it and still runs great everyday !

The Ford SHO 24 valve engines - another milestone engine. Smooth performance and high HP per cubic inch. Powered the first affordable luxury / sports sedan. I had a 95 SHO that was capable of gobbling up mass quantities of pavement !

The Ford 3.0 24V Duratecs. This is a marvelously smooth and powerful engine. Makes our Sable feel like a hot rod when I need it.

The Ford 427 Cammer - I would loved to have seen this engine reach it's full potential !

The '62 Ford 406 - very underated engine for its time !

All Ford Mod motors - broke some new ground for domestic engines.

The Cobra Terminator engine -enough said !

The Ford Coyote 5.0 - Taking the streets by storm !

Toyota 22re 4 cyl. Hell, Top gear couldn't kill one (or was that one a diesel, not sure)
Nissan V6 in the Maxima (not sure of name).
Honda vtec 4 cyl. friend has one approaching 300k and still runs well
Chevy gen 1 small block
chevy gen 3 small block (easy power, simple, small packaging, want one)
Ford 302. Do you think Paxton, Vortech and flowmaster would be as sucessful without this engine?
Porche air cooled flat 6
Buick 231 v6 later becoming the gm 3800
Chevy mark iv big block. A staple at the dragstrip and offshore power boats

Small Block Chevy V8 and the VW flat 4.

Every "small block" Ford is basically Ford's answer to the 1955 265cid chevrolet pushrod V8. Yes, Ford was basically the one that put the term "V8" on the map but that was a flat head V8.

That little air cooled flat four cylinder that came in every VW for a long time will probably never be surpassed.

In the semi world, the Cat C15 is probably one of the best engine's ever made. No long made due to the emmisions laws so if you have a Road Tractor with one of these you can demand more for it, even in it's not as powerful as many of the Cummins or Detroits.

we do engine bay pics, how about just engine pics

p83_f1.jpg

BMW P83 motor

429_Engine_08.jpg

Boss 429

ferrari-enzo-engine.jpg

Ferrari Enzo motor

The small block Ford. Does anything goes anywhere, can be built to amazing levels. My first was a 260, currently have two.

4.6 Ford, I have two of these, smooth, powerful, durable.

The flathead Ford v8. Learned to drive on one of these.

The 2.3 Ford four. Great engine, The small block of four bangers.

The 4.0 overhead cam Ford V6. It has gone farther than any other original engine I have ever had.

The 60's Ford Lotus Indy V8 that won Indy in 63. Just looks ultra cool!

The Jeep 258 and the 4.0. Been around forever and durable as they come.

The small block Chevy. Same as the small block Ford, but built by others. On the list due to sheer numbers and the amazing development over the years.

The big block Chevy. Also a long lived, well developed engine. Along with the flathead its one of the engines I want to have one of someday.

My Yamaha 1100 cc dual overhead cam four, in my Waverunner. DOHC, efi, drive by wire, dry sumped, computer controlled. Runs all day at 6-8000 rpm. And its just a toy! This and the Ecoboost are the future.

the 302 chevy in the Z/28 camaro, sweet motor, revs to the moon

2JZ toyota motor, you can call them dyno queens, but that reflects more on the owner than the car. The motors are capable of 1000 hp with factory longblocks. A friend of mine has a mid 9 sec supra and it shocks me how fast he has been with such little work.

Ford windsor motors, and there aftermarket support.

Ford GT 5.4 DOHC motor, another one thats capable of over 1000 rwhp stock, just add boost.

LS series motors, whether you like chevy or not, these are the new bolt on HP kings.

I loves all the mod motors, I LOVE 2v's, they are the underdog and ive built and seen some really fast ones. easy as hell to work on too. new coyote's are sick nasty.

4g63's mitsu's are awesome as well, it takes $700 to forge the engine, and if its built right, it wont ever break.

4v cleveland engines, the amount of power thay make is ungodly for what you put into them.

ls motors make good power n/a and all, but boosted, they make what a boosted dohc 4.6 makes. on the same psi on same turbo. But the shortblocks are damn strong out the factory, 1000rwhp on a stock 4.8/5.3 is insane.

2jz are freaks of nature, 1200whp on a stock longblock/hg/h-bolts amazes me still. got a buddy making 950whp with an ebay manifold and a huge 76gts and e85 and I think hks 272's, thats all thats done!