Local NY crash! :(

• Sponsors (?)

This is why it's a law to pull over for emergency vehicles with their lights on. It was a head on collision, so the 2 cars were headed towards each other. It was at night, so if the cop had his lights on, the mustang would have easily seen them and should have pulled over like you're supposed to. He probably just kept driving like most people do because the law doesn't apply to everyone :rolleyes: Especially if you're in a rush. I say all this assuming the cop had his lights on. If he didn't, that's different. I agree that the cop shouldn't try and chase bikes, but he was just responding to a call, which is his job.

Were you there as a witness to this?? You didn't see what happened so it's unfair for you to pass judgement on what you think happened. Don't put the blame on anyone for this based on 3 pictures of wreckage and the report. There are tons of variables here and anything could have happened. What if the Mustang was stopped and the cruiser came around the corner a little too quick and drifted over the line? It was a head on collision but it was offset to the edge of the vehicle.

Let's not belittle the loss of a life here based on internet theories as to who's fault it was.

Oh, you mean casting blame like everyone saying the cop is an idiot, a rookie, and he's gonna get fired? Like I said, things would be different if the cop didn't have his lights on. But ASSUMING he did, he was not in the wrong.

the accident happened at an intersection, and it was not head on. just because the newspaper said so doesnt mean its true. look at the way that car is twisted guys, you can see where the front of the patrol car plowed into the drivers side fender/door. meaning the mustang was crossing the intersection as the officer blasted through the intersection. therefore he WAS in the wrong. yes drivers are supposed to yield to emergency vehicles but considering the damage it was clear that the cop was traveling at a high rate of speed through an intersection where the mustang likely had the right of way at which time the cop is to slow before entering the intersection to keep this very type of thing from happening. its likely that the guy in the mustang never saw the cop until it was too late...lights or no lights, theres no doubt the cop was going so fast that there wasnt even a chance to react and get out of the way

the accident happened at an intersection, and it was not head on. just because the newspaper said so doesnt mean its true. look at the way that car is twisted guys, you can see where the front of the patrol car plowed into the drivers side fender/door. meaning the mustang was crossing the intersection as the officer blasted through the intersection. therefore he WAS in the wrong. yes drivers are supposed to yield to emergency vehicles but considering the damage it was clear that the cop was traveling at a high rate of speed through an intersection where the mustang likely had the right of way at which time the cop is to slow before entering the intersection to keep this very type of thing from happening. its likely that the guy in the mustang never saw the cop until it was too late...lights or no lights, theres no doubt the cop was going so fast that there wasnt even a chance to react and get out of the way

I'm with him. Sure looks like a T-bone job to me or that the Mustang was entering the intersection to make a left in-front of the cop car. Either way, I'm sure that the Mustang didn't intentionally drive into the path of the cop car.

Holy crap. I'm just saying it's possible that it's not the cop's fault like everyone is making it out to be. I'm basically the only one not placing blame :shrug: Like I've said in every post so far, It could go either way. But, I see people ignore emergency vehicles way too often. By the crash pictures, it does look like he hit the front/side of the Mustang so maybe they were coming to the intersection at like a 90* angle if you know what I mean. :shrug: But, if you look at the way the front wheel is pulled back on the mustang, and the amount of frontend damage, he had to be coming somewhat from the front. Either way, it sucks, and sorry if I made it sound like I was placing blame, just trying to give the cop the benefit of the doubt.

blackened, im local and know the whole story, The reporters called it a head on collision but it happened at an intersection, it was not directly head on, but more of a T Bone that happened front to front. The officer entered the intersection at a ridicilous speed for side street driving and the 2 cars did not have a chance to notice each other.

The guy had the top down and was probably just enjoying the nice weather, on the other hand the officer was doing his job, but chasing bikes is ridicilous, the guys over here don't care, they will run from officers on the highways all the time. USUALLY officers dont pursue bikes here but i guess since there was a lot they wanted to hand out tickets to show their pressence. In the end it was a very bad accident, and thats exactly what it is, an accident.

cop will get nonthing but a slap on the wrist...and if it was the cops falut...the other cops will push it to make it look like the guy in the mustang was at fault...

rip mustang and mustang driver..

There was another accident in Staten Island recently. A kid in a 94 GT used nitrous while he was racing some Honda and they both ended up crashing. Some 16 yr old girl died in the crash too.

exactly.
most all my family are police officers, so I understand cops pretty well, and I also know that the cop is not always right, they are human and make mistakes just like everyone else! really sucks an innocent bystander dies, and minor scrapes to the "at fault" person! :bang:

:eek: did anybody read the whole story in the link?!

"Bergianti's death comes less than seven months after William Calhoun, 59, of Farmingdale, was killed during a police pursuit on Dec. 30. In that incident, Suffolk officers approached two men suspected of dealing drugs in North Amityville. The driver fled and led police on a high-speed chase through North Amityville and Farmingdale. The suspect, Richard Mair, lost control of his car on Route 109 and crashed into Calhoun's house, killing him as he lay on his sofa."

THAT would suck SOOOOOO bad. :nonono:

weather or not it was the mustang or cops fault it is still a sad thing to see and or hear about... who knows coulda had some sick system and music way up high cant hear sirens like that ha BAN AUDIO SYSTEMS!!!!!
If only the world where full of smarter people =(