looking at selling my mustang ii and buying an s197. Anything i should look for and look out for?

Hey guys and gals, my name is Gonzo and I am from Hawaii. Oahu is finally getting a race track back (last one closed in 2006) and I am damn excited. I currently have a mustang ii that has been pretty popular on IG @77_cobra_ii and I would love to keep it and race that but parts are rare for mods and shipping is a nightmare to Hawaii so I have decided to change it up. I have never owned an s197 but am looking into buying either an sn95 or s197 to build for the track. I want to hear some thoughts as to what I should look for in an s197 to know if it is a good buy. things i should be aware of and things i should look for, etc. I appreciate any help and info you are able to share! Mahalo plenty.

Gonzo

• Sponsors (?)

The 2009 model is the one to go for since it has all the TSB fixes, the updated spark plugs, and the more reliable Denso alternator.
Check for previous accident damage, service history, and water leaks into the passenger side footwell.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2009 model is the one to go for since it has all the TSB fixes, the updated spark plugs, and the more reliable Denso alternator.
Check for previous accident damage, service history, and water leaks into the passenger side footwell.

The car is going to be modified pretty much as soon as i get it lol. out of the 3 things you have mentioned i am mostly looking at the TSB issue. the alt and spark plugs are gonna get changed out anyway so not too concerned about that. what exactly about the tsb are you talking about?

my 08 came stone stock. I added .373 Gears, Cold Air Intake, exahust and a tune. It turned out pretty fast (13.1 1/4 Mile) but not as strong as the new cars these days. It was a budget purchase so it's been great without breaking the bank. You cant go wrong with any well taken care of 07 to 09. Ask for service docs and try to find something stock. Just my thoughts. I do like the Mustang II. That will prob. go up in value....

The car is going to be modified pretty much as soon as i get it lol.

Choose your mods carefully depending on the type of racing you'll be doing. The set up for drag racing would be entirely different than that for a road course.
As for your '77 Gen 2 model, keep it as close to original as possible. In the next 5-10 years its value will begin to appreciate as earlier models become too expensive for the average guy to buy/restore. The '71-'73 models are already appreciating in value so it's only a matter of time before the Gen 2 does the same.