Looking for input with anyone who has insured a truck

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i posted this in 5.0 talk also. im looking for some input from people who have insured a truck and how the rates compare with a mustang.

i am 18, and insured as the second driver on the policy. right now my rates are 120/mo under an 86 oldsmobile with access to the mustang. im going to be selling it and getting an 01 f250 most likely.

7.3 diesel, 4wd, ect. i tried a few places online for quotes and got some crazy rates. 2600 with the truck in place of my car, and 300 with my car for 6 months.

do rates really increase that much going to a newer truck? i expected maybe 200 considering this insurance is: liability only, its paid off, its NOT a daily/often driven vehicle, perfect driving records for my mom and myself. no tickets/accidents within 10 years.

i know regardless they will see 18, male and rates go up. just wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on a rate comparison. our insurance company wont return my call for 2 weeks now. i tried.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd recommend State Farm too. I've been with them for over 10 years and I've found no one that can touch their rates. Your gonna get the shaft no matter what, so just do alot of rate quote checking. I had my F-150 4X4 Super cab under full insurance for $420 every 6 months, but I'm 20 years your senior. Age does have afew benefits sometimes.

cool, ill definately look into them. yeah, our insurance company has been less then helpful in the situation.

im 18, but im under my moms insurance policy as the second driver. these quotes are under the bare minimum of things. under 6k miles driven a year, liability, ect.

i think 400+ a month just for the change is unreal, but the information i gave wasnt real detailed. 420 every 6 months isint bad. i would be willing to pay up to 200ish/mo on this truck, so hopefully i can find that.

thanks for the input

i used to have a 4x4 96 ranger and my rates were like $230 a month. since ive sold it now my brother drives, and we got an extra car so im insured under a 96 f250 4x4 for $100 a month but i just drive my mustang, dont ask me how i got away so lucky, im also 19

wow good deal man, things must have changed, like 3 years ago i was goin to buy a 98 tacoma 4X4 and they wanted 350 a month, and my insurance for the cobra was only 100 a month full coverage.

yea i was suprised like i said.

it is just liability coverage at that rate, i may increase my coverage if everything works out. ill be happy to get the truck at all. still need some things sorted out.