Metal throttle body coolant line part name for 05 4.0? Can't find a replacement

zack2001

Dec 11, 2019
Lansing, MI
After replacing the thermostat housing with a metal one because the plastic one I had was leaking, I noticed there was a stream of coolant spraying out at the red circle. I tried using heat-resistant welding putty to seal the leak, but it only lasted not even a month. What's the name of the part? It's a metal coolant line that goes to the throttle body. I searched "metal throttle body coolant line replacement 05 mustang" and found nothing.

Thanks

Attachments

• metal line.png
    metal line.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Sponsors (?)

Where did you get the metal thermostat housing? I am currently fighting leaks in that area due to stripped threads on the actual thermostat dome. My 07 4.0 doesn't have any coolant lines going to the throttle body. If it did, I'd find a way to disconnect and plug them. I don't like heated throttle bodies. The intake on my 3.0 98 Ranger was heated. I disconnected it years ago, like in 2002. Never been a problem.

Where did you get the metal thermostat housing? I am currently fighting leaks in that area due to stripped threads on the actual thermostat dome. My 07 4.0 doesn't have any coolant lines going to the throttle body. If it did, I'd find a way to disconnect and plug them. I don't like heated throttle bodies. The intake on my 3.0 98 Ranger was heated. I disconnected it years ago, like in 2002. Never been a problem.

For some reason he took it off Amazon. Hopefully he's still making them

Reactions: 1 user
I actually changed the cap on the overflow tank from a 16 pound to a 10 pound because of the stupid piss-ant leaks. Not losing a lot of coolant, it just looks ugly under the hood. I've been looking for a quality metal housing. Will be ordering one tomorrow. So thanks for the link. Been chatting with the dude via text.

Ordered the metal thermostat housing today. Will install it as soon as I can after receiving it. Then I need to wash the engine compartment, it's ugly right now. I don't like ugly engine compartments.

Ordered the metal thermostat housing today. Will install it as soon as I can after receiving it. Then I need to wash the engine compartment, it's ugly right now. I don't like ugly engine compartments.
Do you plan on hand washing the engine bay parts or using a pressure hose? A friend of mine cracked his radiator after taking it to a car wash and pressure hosing the engine bay and had to get it replaced

I'd advise against pressure hosing the engine bay. Just hand wash, apply a degreaser to any oily bits, and rinse with a garden hose. Cover sensors, ignition components, and other electrics with plastic bags or cling film to keep the water out and prevent future headaches.

I have been using a degreaser on engine bays and rinsing with a garden hose for decades. I have never had a starting issue afterwards. I too don't recommend using a pressure washer up close as the engine components and electrical connections were not design to withstand such high pressures. You can use a pressure washer if you keep the end of the wand 2-3 feet from the item being washed. At the distance the pressure has dropped substantially and shouldn't cause any damage if you aren't using a pin point stream type of nozzle.

I tend to just hand wash only what needs to be washed. Last time I cleaned it, I just dumped a bucket of hot water in the cold engine bay. It's not a major leak, just a spritz. Hasn't totally screwed everything up under the hood. My local car wash has a spot free rinse in which the pressure is almost nil. Very low pressure with I suppose distilled or deionized water.

I got the new housing Monday. Beautiful piece, will look much better sitting there than that black plastic part. I am going to start tearing into it today. No rush on my part, I work for a living. Will take several days to complete. Starting today with using a siphon bulb and a rinsed out five gallon gas container to get enough coolant out of the system to allow me to do it without too much mess. I assume the intake has to come off at the very least to make access to the housing easier. I put the intake on back in November, so removing it is no problemo. Might even go ahead and remove the throttle body.

KillerGlass makes a nice upper radiator hose for the V-6 Stangs. I have on in my Lighting. May just go ahead and order one and wait for it to complete the installation. https://killerglass.com/automotive/ford/

Attachments

• 01010051.JPG
    01010051.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 149
Took me two days, but I finally got the plastic one off. Took off intake and throttle body, disconnected all hoses but the bypass hose on the bottom yesterday. Cut through all the RTV I had put on the sumbuck to stop the leak and got it off today. After peeling off all the RTV, the plastic housing was soaked underneath. Will start putting it back together tomorrow. Should go back together easier than it came apart. Buying a new heater hose and bypass hose before putting it back together.

Got the metal thermostat housing installed. Pretty simple. Only thing is it's kind of a juggling act to get the housing onto the engine while trying to hook up the bypass house on the bottom and put a gasket on between the engine and the metal housing. Got it done and it no longer leaks. Drove it for about ten miles after letting it idle for about 30.

Reactions: 1 users