Microsquirt vs ms3gold box?

James408

May 18, 2020
New York
So i have a 1986 GT 5 speed that blew the a9l out in it and need to pick new ecu. Just recently put twisted wedge heads and cobra intake manifold full exhaust. Gonna be getting custom grind cam and bigger intake and have 24# injectors ready to go in. Already got a wideband so thought microsquirt would be good option for 302 N/A diy guy on a budget like me to get it running and tune it some with hci. Called efisource and was told the microsquirt is too limited when I mentioned 2 step. I thought I have seen people use 2 step launch control with microsquirt through tuner studio? Plus I asked through email while back and efisource said yes microsquirt supports 2 step and rev limits?? Anyways he said a ms3 gold box is What can change rev limit and do 2 step controls. I might go with boost but it will be long time before that. So maybe the gold box is my best bet but, if I can go with the microsquirt I would rather that honestly. Just need to pick an ecu and get to learning how to get her running again lol.

• Sponsors (?)

If I were in your shoes and getting ready to spend money, there is no way I would buy anything less than the goldbox for the small price difference.
Yeah I kinda feel dumb now I thought it was over 1000 bucks (saw the ls goldbox) and its actually only 765 right now. Comes with eec iv harness adapter and 3 bar map. Pretty dang good deal honestly. I have watched some of your videos too they are great I have to say thank you for all the info you put out here. Really helps clear up alot of confusion even before starting to tune. I'm gonna get that ms3 goldbox and hopefully get her running again soon :nice:

Yeah I kinda feel dumb now I thought it was over 1000 bucks (saw the ls goldbox) and its actually only 765 right now. Comes with eec iv harness adapter and 3 bar map. Pretty dang good deal honestly. I have watched some of your videos too they are great I have to say thank you for all the info you put out here. Really helps clear up alot of confusion even before starting to tune. I'm gonna get that ms3 goldbox and hopefully get her running again soon :nice:
you ever get that gold box? where did you mount it? thanks

you ever get that gold box? where did you mount it? thanks
Yes I did it’s a awesome little ecu got me running again very well at that. Unfortunately I’m trying to find a mount area myself, I really want to get it done before winter and being it uses an adapter harness there’s about a foot or so extra length on the wiring harness. This makes it really hard to fit it back up into kick panel area where a9l was and even if I manage to fish wiring up there, the gold boxes demensions are a bit too “boxy”. So I have it temporarily on floor until I can think of a good mounting spot, was thinking maybe under the pass seat with right custom fabbed braketing maybe clear seat so can still adjust without hitting ecu. But wiring harnes isn’t long enough for that so was thinking maybe up under dash somewhere near glovebox or even mod the kick panel area where factory ecu was could maybe cut some metal out just enough to squeeze the new ecu in there just got to be careful doing that. If you find an idea let me know. I’ll post up any updates on a mount location when I find one :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
sounds good man thanks! im not even close to that part yet. i dont even have the driveline in yet. still waiting on AFR for my heads that i ordered 6 weeks ago! lol

sounds good man thanks! im not even close to that part yet. i dont even have the driveline in yet. still waiting on AFR for my heads that i ordered 6 weeks ago! lol
No problem! Good luck on everything with it I’m about to tear into mine this winter myself so gives some time. Going to prepare a separate short block block for boost. But EFIsource definitely way too go when your ready. Awesome guys over there they answered every question I asked no problem. Even dumb ones lol.