• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Might be trading 4.6 for 5.0 soon...

  • Thread starter Thread starter crashGTR1
  • Start date Start date Feb 18, 2004
C

crashGTR1

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
128
0
0
Chicago
Feb 18, 2004
#1
  • Feb 18, 2004
  • #1
Hey everyone. I'm normally in the 4.6 forums, but I might be trading to a 5.0 soon, so I figured I'd post here. Right now, I have a 1998 GT 5-speed that I absolutely love...she's my baby, BUT the work situation kind of sucks right now, so it might be better to sell her if things don't improve. If I get rid of my car, I'm getting another Stang for sure, but I might go with a Fox body, because insurance would be cheaper. What is there to really know about the 5.0? I know I'll probably have more low-end grunt than with my 4.6. I also heard the 5.0's are easier to work on. True? I know parts are cheaper, which I definitely don't mind. How much rwhp/rwtq can you get out of an N/A stock block 5.0? Also, is the T5 tranny really as fragile as I've heard (I have a T45). Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks.
--Adam
 

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Feb 18, 2004
#2
  • Feb 18, 2004
  • #2
I can't answer all your questions...but I'll see what I can do...

A stock 87-93 5.0 and a 98 GT will be a drivers race so your not going to lose or gain much from switching over unless you get a lightweight notch with a 5spd...

The t5 can last quite a while...it just depends on how you use and abuse it...

I think 5.0's are easier to work on also...

I know this isn't N/A but I have seen blown stock blocks with 450-500rwhp but they obviously dont' last as long...

Good Luck with you job and your choice...
 
C

crashGTR1

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
128
0
0
Chicago
Feb 18, 2004
#3
  • Feb 18, 2004
  • #3
5spd GT said:
I can't answer all your questions...but I'll see what I can do...

A stock 87-93 5.0 and a 98 GT will be a drivers race so your not going to lose or gain much from switching over unless you get a lightweight notch with a 5spd...

The t5 can last quite a while...it just depends on how you use and abuse it...

I think 5.0's are easier to work on also...

I know this isn't N/A but I have seen blown stock blocks with 450-500rwhp but they obviously dont' last as long...

Good Luck with you job and your choice...
Click to expand...

Thank you very much. I wasn't expecting any huge difference in performance, a 5.0 might be slower, as my car is pretty fast for what it is, a little faster than other 98 5 speeds. I asked about the t5 because I've heard it referred to as 'glass' and I know its maximum torque handling is lower than the t45, which I have no complaints about. I love my car as it is, I really would prefer to keep it, but if I have to kill myself working for it, I'll trade. Thanks...I'm already seeing what other jobs are out there for the summer...I wouldn't mind construction or something, as long as it pays the bills.
--Adam
 

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
1,209
15
58
Feb 20, 2004
#4
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #4
The 5.0 has more low end torque, the performance parts are less expensive and the 5.0's last forever! I speak from experience!
 

cardudeusa

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
1,744
5
48
Home of the Florida Gators!
Feb 20, 2004
#5
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #5
mustang90 said:
The 5.0 has more low end torque, the performance parts are less expensive and the 5.0's last forever! I speak from experience!
Click to expand...
Not to mention they look better.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
468
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
1
Electrical 1985 mustang gt Led conversion trouble
  • 1985fox
  • Jan 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
734
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 15, 2026
1985fox
1
1
Electrical Headlight harness trouble
  • 1985fox
  • Apr 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
397
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 17, 2026
AeroCoupe
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
216
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
200
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?