Missing, backfiring Mustang

OK, I am going to start by saying I don't discourage easily but.. this thing is almost too much. I have gone through the checklist to the best I can and everything checks out. The only things left that I can think of is a spark that is not hot enough, some kind of timing issue beyond my comprehension or.. maybe some kind of air fuel issue.
That said, I should recap what we have done. We have 40lbs of fuel pressure, spark that is bright but somewhat orange (see picture). Checked injectors fired with noid light(pretty sure fuel is not the problem judging by the backfire we got last night). New timing chain (from advice from mechanic that could not figure it out either), new cap, rotor, plugs and wires, new coil (which may have been the start of this, had no spark so replaced coil and got spark but still no start). We set static timing after mechanic fiddled with it, close to where it was before.
I am out of ideas except does anyone think swapping the distributor is an option?
I may also try taking it to another mechanic but that is getting expensive with no results so far.
Signed desperate.

• Sponsors (?)

Not that I know very much. Because I dont , but if you read thought these threads when your car just wont go it seems that guys put a distributor in and boom. It runs. I took my distributor out and brought it to a mechanic to put a PIP in because you need a press. PIP was fifteen bucks and the mechanic was one hundred. Then I had to put the distributor in and that was a disaster. Had to tow it to the mech. and that was seventy to put in. plus tow , but after a month of Checklist it ran. I had no pulse at noid

The cool thing about the Checklist is that an average Joe can do it. Patience is the key. I actually printed it out and crossed off each line. Never thought I would be diagnosing with a Noid light.

Reactions: 1 user
The cool thing about the Checklist is that an average Joe can do it. Patience is the key. I actually printed it out and crossed off each line. Never thought I would be diagnosing with a Noid light.
Right, did the same thing.. printed it off and went through it twice. I do think the answer is in there somewhere but maybe a little more subtle, not exactly a "that's it" kind if issue.
I'll keep at it though.

Look, if it is backfiring that means something, timing off, valve stuck or miss adjusted.
Start by verifying firing order and timing. Back to basics.
Right, we did verify firing order a couple of times. That has bit us in the past since there are different firing orders for the 302. Timing should not have changed when all this started but it has been messed with since.
Stuck valve? I had not considered that but I assume that would normally affect one cylinder.. at least generally. We get very little ignition from all cylinders.
I would say timing is probable but could failing pip or distributor be a cause?

Not that I know very much. Because I dont , but if you read thought these threads when your car just wont go it seems that guys put a distributor in and boom. It runs. I took my distributor out and brought it to a mechanic to put a PIP in because you need a press. PIP was fifteen bucks and the mechanic was one hundred. Then I had to put the distributor in and that was a disaster. Had to tow it to the mech. and that was seventy to put in. plus tow , but after a month of Checklist it ran. I had no pulse at noid
Well at least you got it going, nice. I would not be against trying a new distributor, they are not that expensive, but just don't want to waste time and money if there is no hope that is the issue.

Ok, so we made a little progress. Did some research and it seems the ignition control module can do some strange things when failing. So, replaced that and bam, started right up and sounded pretty good. Shut it off and started no problem. Hooked up a timing light and went to start it and no go, back to where we were. So what the heck.. did we fry the new icm or is there some intermittent problem? Wiggled wires around and tried it a few more times and nothing.

What about that module on the distributor?

I would definitely look into the PIP or the module on the distributor. I don't know what year car this is so the setup may not be exactly the same but on my SVO the thin film module on the side of distributor went bad suddenly (while I was out driving home from getting an inspection sticker of all things) and it had the same symptoms - backfiring, would stall, hard to start. I would get it start and it would run roughly for a minute or two then stall again. Replaced the thin film module and magically all better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I have mostly good news.. it is running!
The bad news is we are not sure why.
We jacked around with the wiring around the ignition control module ( thick film ignition module) and it started. Took out for a drive and all is good but we really didn't fix anything. We will maybe go through it again, clean up connections and check out any pinched wires etc. Hopefully we are in the clear though.
Thanks for all the advice and support. I was really starting to think this car was heading to the shredder.

Reactions: 1 user