Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

• Sponsors (?)

More goodies arrived today
IMG_20200406_133116828.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_20190223_170824598.jpg

my helper for the day

This here makes me smile. Bonding time here and having someone who is willing to lend a hand, learn, turn a wrench makes all of these projects just that much better. My son has been right with me on all of my projects and we have thrown tools, drank Mike's piss, and cussed about skinned knuckles. He is not a Mustang Owner yet, but in time I am sure the Convertible will be in his name and I will finally have a Coupe. Is she actually interested in working on cars or just helping for the day?

Reactions: 1 user
This here makes me smile. Bonding time here and having someone who is willing to lend a hand, learn, turn a wrench makes all of these projects just that much better. My son has been right with me on all of my projects and we have thrown tools, drank Mike's piss, and cussed about skinned knuckles. He is not a Mustang Owner yet, but in time I am sure the Convertible will be in his name and I will finally have a Coupe. Is she actually interested in working on cars or just helping for the day?
She LOVES the car,working on it,not so much. However,she likes to learn things and I'll be damned if I'm gonna raise kids that don't know how things work. I would love to find another clean body and have both my kids restore it,with my guidance of course.

Reactions: 5 users
I doubt that,..all you guys drink Bud Light...
You sir, are quite mistaken. I'm a whiskey drinker. When I do stoop low enough to drink beer, it's usually Pacifico or Shiner.

I'm a whiskey guy

There's hope for you after all.

IPA all the way :banana::banana::banana:
Every IPA I've tried tasted like it had soap in it.

Haha,how do you think I afford all this stuff? I drink Busch Light :D
Save the money you're spending on that and drink water, you'll never know the difference.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_20200407_185638601.jpg
Got the TKO bolted up. Ran into a snafu,and it was totally my fault. Tried using the stock T5 bolts,they just weren't jiving. Removed trans and lo and behold, Lakewood bolts are 7/16-14,ugh. I managed to bugger up a hole,so had to tap. So sourced new bolts and got her back together. Now,I have to punch the oil pan for the turbo feed line,and it'll be ready to drop back in.

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_20200412_153920_01.jpg

And she's back in. Didn't have any help so I wrestled it in myself. Had trouble with the driver's header hitting the sway bar. Gonna have to figure that one out. Gonna see what I need to do to the crossmember to get it to fit correctly. Then start the turbo install.

Reactions: 2 users
IMG_20200413_133846315.jpg

Just a heads up. I used the engine lift plate from Jegs,worked great. However, I overlooked the part about what intakes it fits. It does NOT fit the Trick Flow lower. Of course I figure this out after I received it. I had to modify every hole to make it work.
On another note,had to file unemployment today. Rumor is we're not going back til May 4th.

You will likely need to use a stifflers crossmember or make your own. sometimes you can get lucky and pop the welds on the crossmember tubes and slide it back. Yours looks to be about as far off as mine was when i did the 4r70w install.

I got the hotside installed,and started on the coldside. I'm not a fan of how the oil return line is constructed. Instead of a barb a threaded fitting would have been much easier. I fought that stupid clamp for awhile,when you would tighten it the excess end would push on the turbo flange,in turn spinning it toward the turbo retaining bolts.
IMG_20200417_180103791.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Got the intercooler brackets mocked up,tying up several loose ends with this install. Seems like there's always a small detail that needs attention. And I'm pretty sure the folks at Ace hardware know me by name. I visit their bolt selection at least every other day.
IMG_20200420_185039_01.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
On my car I had to trim the cold pipe that connects to the intercooler passenger side. I think it was because of the height of my intake with a 1 inch spacer. You can see where I added the piece cut off to the pipe by the TB.

20200419_094642.jpg

Just letting ya know incase you run into a similar issue.

The bypass hose rides on the bottom of the alternator. Squeezes it shut to take belt off. Some folks use a different hose and route it towards the front and up and over to the heater pipe assembly. I left mine alone but installed vinyl sleeving to help protect the hose. No issues. This stuff...

20200421_120715.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users