Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

• Sponsors (?)

PB blaster...a little warmth....and a rubber glove. Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands. :runaway:

• Clever
Reactions: 1 user
Ahh,the ol' fuel pump install. Never fails I end up wearing gas like Brut. I was prepared,had my catch bucket for the 4gal that seems to come out of the filter. Got both clips off,was good until i bumped the filter. Gas on my head,down my arm my shorts. Good time. But I got her lowered down and will install tomorrow. Oh,apparently you can substitute a zip tie in lieu of the clips.
15884546239057186368863289779238.jpg
IMG_20200502_171701544.jpg
IMG_20200502_171635487_HDR.jpg

Just keep in mind....the on3 kit is designed to fit a stock engine. I shortened the pipe that comes up from the intercooler. Cut it up there where it meets the pipe going to the intake. Looks like you may need to cut a 1/2 or so from the coupler on the TB. Check the alignment of the pipe and coupler coming out of the cooler too. I had to use a 30 degree coupler there but my car was set up for a gt front at first. Now I have an LX bumper with cobra lower.

With my intake being spaced an inch o had to add about an inch to 1.5 to the pipe for the TB spacer.

Another tip....my pipe coming out of the inner fender used to rattle against the side of the hole. Sounded like a loud knocking noise. I added black door edge guard and very little noise now.

Just keep in mind....the on3 kit is designed to fit a stock engine. I shortened the pipe that comes up from the intercooler. Cut it up there where it meets the pipe going to the intake. Looks like you may need to cut a 1/2 or so from the coupler on the TB. Check the alignment of the pipe and coupler coming out of the cooler too. I had to use a 30 degree coupler there but my car was set up for a gt front at first. Now I have an LX bumper with cobra lower.

With my intake being spaced an inch o had to add about an inch to 1.5 to the pipe for the TB spacer.

Another tip....my pipe coming out of the inner fender used to rattle against the side of the hole. Sounded like a loud knocking noise. I added black door edge guard and very little noise now.
Thing is,the charge pipe coming off the throttle body,there's just not much side to side movement. If I pull it to meet the pipe coming from the intercooler,it's just gonna jam it into the CC plate more. I thought of cutting the coupler,didn't want to remove it but I'll do what I have to.

I see what your saying. My pipe clears the strut tower but is almost sitting on the turbo. Barely enough room for the turbo blanket.

20200502_205252.jpg

Here's a shot of that connection and one of the coupler at my intercooler.

20200502_205416.jpg

I had to put it at an angle to clear the fog light.

20200502_205434.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I got mine from a friend. It's just less of a bend than a 90...1/3 of 90 to be exact. I think I did have to cut that end and angle the pipe down to clear the back of the fog light on my terminator lower bumper. That's the piece I added to the pipe going into the 90 degree coupler. My car has a 1 inch spacer between the upper and lower intake. I'm not sure if you can get the pipe to fit if you use a spacer and don't add to the pipe.

My car also has a tubular lower radiator support so the install was a little different than yours. I do remember the pipe hitting the bumper bracket though.

I got mine from a friend. It's just less of a bend than a 90...1/3 of 90 to be exact. I think I did have to cut that end and angle the pipe down to clear the back of the fog light on my terminator lower bumper. That's the piece I added to the pipe going into the 90 degree coupler. My car has a 1 inch spacer between the upper and lower intake. I'm not sure if you can get the pipe to fit if you use a spacer and don't add to the pipe.

My car also has a tubular lower radiator support so the install was a little different than yours. I do remember the pipe hitting the bumper bracket though.
I'm going to have my egr spacer machined down tomorrow to 1-1/4. This will give me plenty of clearance for the coupler. I believe the pipe for the throttle body is geared towards running a mass air meter. The angle after it passes through the frame side is just wrong. And nothing is hitting the bumper support,it's all the lower bumper cover and a partial bit of the headlight housing.

They used to sell them in the help section at all the local parts stores. If in a pinch a zip tie will work.

They are common on many cars. You could get some from the JY for free.

So,wrapped up the turbo piping today. The charge pipe will need an offset coupler,but this will work for now. Got a new return line on the PS pump,finished up the new yoke on the driveshaft,oil changed and generally just tidied up some things. Oh,the MC Machine bracket is pretty sweet,gives you plenty of clearance.
IMG_20200508_200202437.jpg
IMG_20200508_200233967.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Been tying up all the loose ends past couple of days. If things go well, should be able to start it tomorrow. Installed half of these ching chong China boot covers,what a PITA. I run Taylor spiro pros,so there was no easy way to get them on. Took me about 10mins per wire,and my hands were black as night when I was done. Hopefully everything go's well tomorrow and we get it running.
IMG_20200511_194118400.jpg

I used DEI spark plug boots from Advance Auto and spark plug wire covers. They've held up pretty well.