Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

Went to install my Stifflers crossmember and ran into a dilemma. Look at my stock crossmember,see how I had to enlarge the holes to one side? Stifflers unit isnt as bad but something needs clearanced. Im thinking of elongating the holes on the trans mount itself instead of grinding on the Stifflers unit. Thoughts?
IMG_20220410_175843224.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The transmission is actually offset slightly to one side. If the crossmember is backwards it will sit like your stock one was sitting.

Reactions: 1 user
Spectra for a stock tank as well . I actually installed one in the belair not to long ago .

I have used my stifflers x memeber with t5 , tko , and aod in my car and never had an issue like that . Defintley check to make sure mount is on right

Are those original E9 drums? I haven't seen those in years :eek:

And my Stiffler went in without any modifications, but the fact that you had to slot the OEM X-member suggests to me there is something else going on

Are those original E9 drums? I haven't seen those in years :eek:

And my Stiffler went in without any modifications, but the fact that you had to slot the OEM X-member suggests to me there is something else going on
I guess they are :crazy: The crossmember thing is confusing. Ever since the TKO install it's been like that. If I turn the trans mount around,it's WAY off,so it has to be on right.

I guess they are :crazy: The crossmember thing is confusing. Ever since the TKO install it's been like that. If I turn the trans mount around,it's WAY off,so it has to be on right.
When I "framed off" my 77 truck, the transmission did not line up with the mount unless I pushed it over a couple of inches... Bad news, it had been hit in one front corner and the " riveted" frame had been " diamonded" I believe was the term the frame guy used....
I should have bought one of the new aftermarket frames for it....
DSCF0224.JPG

Then i would look at the engine mounts, or the K-member not being square which is contributing to the transmission being offset so much.

• Agree
Ok,it was the same situation with the stock convertible mounts,and stock k-member. The car now wears solid mounts and UPR k-member. When the car had a T-5Z, everything lined up perfect. If the cars been bent,it's beyond my eye. Both vin tags on fenders,and no signs of buckling in the frame uppers.