Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

Never ends. Finally got the car back together,fire it up and heard a noise. I figured it was just a tool I forgot hitting the floor. Let the car run for a minute or so then curiosity got the best of me. Looked under car and saw a large nut. I knew what it was right away. Alternator nut. So,either I didn't tighten it initially or it fell off. Now the threads are buggered,hopefully the threaded shaft is ok on the alternator itself.
IMG_20200817_195146999.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Finally,after blood, sweat, and tears (and many beers) we got the tune on the car. Wasn't without issue though. The electronic boost controller wasn't cooperating, so we ended up bypassing the wastegate altogether. Steve set the boost cutoff so it wouldn't scatter my engine and we made several pulls. Makes 11ish# boost and is just sick! Runs and drives like a stocker off boost as well. Also,accolades to Steve @a91what, he has the patience of a monk and answers all your questions. Highly recommend Steve for your tuning,really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, the trans has to come back out because the rear main STILL leaks. Hopefully get to the track and make some passes,see what she's got in her.

Never ends. Went to take the boy for a ride and noticed coolant dripping from a heater hose. Got it back in the garage, went to tighten hose when it started hissing loudly. I jumped way back just as the heater core let go.......som'bitch. Little research came up with the this LS swap hose with the correct 3/4-5/8 ends made by ICT billet. Worked perfect for the heater core bypass. View attachment 660263
IMG_20200902_175344_01.jpg

So,after the tune session,went back to a no boost condition.....again. Went over the car,even locked out the wastegate,nothing. So,doing research and realized I never had an o-ring on the bov. Got that taken care of,then decided to see if system was air tight. My buddy held the plastic cover that came with the turbo and covered the inlet. I cranked the car just enough to build pressure. It would suck that cover tight against the turbo,then we heard the leak. Vacumn hose on the tree...really. So put a clamp on and took it for a test drive. FULL boost to cutoff. Have a new Tial mvr wastegate coming as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_180745785.jpg
    IMG_20200907_180745785.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20200907_180805378.jpg
    IMG_20200907_180805378.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: 3 users
Well,it's been a week since I discovered this. Been mulling over what direction to go. Lost a head gasket,yep chocolate milk☹️
IMG_20200918_174726_01.jpg
IMG_20200918_174741567.jpg

Thinking about going back to NA,was a whole lot easier and trouble free. Unfortunately,I just don't have time to tear it down. Probably be my last update for awhile. Bummer.....

• Surprised
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
IMG_20200830_091304857.jpg

Still have to figure a filter setup
IMG_20200830_091133344_HDR.jpg

The MT drag radials made a huge difference in traction

Turbo setup looks awesome. Súper cool build.

edit: wrote this before the chocolate milk revelation. That sucks! Sorry man.

What size are the rear wheels/tires? Any spacers? I’m trying to decide on a set for my 88 GT. Hoping to get to at least one track day before it gets too cold.

Turbo setup looks awesome. Súper cool build.

edit: wrote this before the chocolate milk revelation. That sucks! Sorry man.

What size are the rear wheels/tires? Any spacers? I’m trying to decide on a set for my 88 GT. Hoping to get to at least one track day before it gets too cold.
275-40-17. No spacers,quad shocks are removed,but they would've worked if flipped around.

Alright guys, I cannot for the life of me get this lower rear intake to seal. It leaks everytime with the rtv bead method. I'm going to try the rubber china rail gaskets with rtv. Also,looking for another option with the pcv. I HAD a expanding rubber piece in there,but it decided to make an exit. Hell,I thought the car was on fire. There's oil all over the firewall,hoses,etc. Any suggestions on that as well.
IMG_20201010_140332948.jpg

I can help. Get a lower intake set with the cork gaskets. Lay it down in the valley and trim the ends with a razor to lay down. Get some right stuff gasket maker ( I like the can because it's reusable ). Put a bead under the cork gasket and a bead on top. You also need to let it sit for about an hour before you start it. I let mine sit over night.

The problem is that if the gap is too large back there the pressure will push the silicone out.

I had bad luck with leaking valley gaskets in the past and tried everything. I tried the blue rubber gaskets and they would leak too over time. I used to use yellow snot ( super high tack ) on the cork gaskets but found it would get hard over years and start leaking. The cork gaskets will kindof sweat oil after a couple years. Not enough to drip but enough to make the area damp.

The blue ones work sometimes. I put a set on a customers car with just dabs of right stuff in the corners. It lasted for a while but started leaking again in about a year.

Over the last 20yrs the way I do them now works the best for me.

• Agree