Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

I can help. Get a lower intake set with the cork gaskets. Lay it down in the valley and trim the ends with a razor to lay down. Get some right stuff gasket maker ( I like the can because it's reusable ). Put a bead under the cork gasket and a bead on top. You also need to let it sit for about an hour before you start it. I let mine sit over night.

The problem is that if the gap is too large back there the pressure will push the silicone out.

I had bad luck with leaking valley gaskets in the past and tried everything. I tried the blue rubber gaskets and they would leak too over time. I used to use yellow snot ( super high tack ) on the cork gaskets but found it would get hard over years and start leaking. The cork gaskets will kindof sweat oil after a couple years. Not enough to drip but enough to make the area damp.

The blue ones work sometimes. I put a set on a customers car with just dabs of right stuff in the corners. It lasted for a while but started leaking again in about a year.

Over the last 20yrs the way I do them now works the best for me.
Ugh,fella. I came across the Explorer graphite gasket sets with the blue rubber rail gaskets at Rockauto for $12.47ea. I ordered 2 sets. I'm determined to make these work. I'm thinking thin bead on top and bottom of gasket,let skin then torque down. Also,we run a similiar engine combo (331,turbo,etc). Do you run a pcv or what's your setup? I'm currently running 2 a/n fittings (10a/n) on the valve covers to a vented catch can. But then you research it,it's never a clear answer. There's talk of one way check valves,but no real clear way how to install.

• Sponsors (?)

I run the factory PCV, a sealed catch can, a -6an check valve, to the intake. I also run a mid 90s dodge truck breather ( sealed ) with 5/8 hose running to a breather tank. A -6an line also runs from that to my turbo inlet.

When not in boost system works normal ( air flows from breather tank, into valve cover and out PCV )...when in boost the access vapors are sucked through the breather tank and into the turbo behind my air filter.

If I was running MAF I'd have to seal off the breather tank and put the MAF in front of the turbo and the vapor inlet....or get Steve to tune around it.

20200829_112428.jpg

There should be a freeze plug that will fit that hole. You'd have to measure it and tap one in.

You could run another breather hose from back there. If it's pushing a plug out from back there then you have pressure building up.

My system has been holding up so far and I don't have a breather in the drivers side valve cover. Only been to 9psi though.

There should be a freeze plug that will fit that hole. You'd have to measure it and tap one in.

You could run another breather hose from back there. If it's pushing a plug out from back there then you have pressure building up.

My system has been holding up so far and I don't have a breather in the drivers side valve cover. Only been to 9psi though.
Good info, I had a small breather attatched to a gutted pcv before,maybe I'll go back to that.

Big thanks to @a91what for helping getting my idle straightened out. Steve called me and walked me through it,super easy to do. And,the rubber intake gaskets worked like a champ,no leakage. Got some life changes coming up,so the Fox is taking a backseat for awhile. But,I have another project.....

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_142034717.jpg
    IMG_20201017_142034717.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20201017_142059286.jpg
    IMG_20201017_142059286.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: 1 user
Well, here we are again,no surprise. Last time I drove the car ,I had another oil down. The dipstick tube was pushed out a few inches,and sprayed oil everywhere. So we know what that means, excessive crankcase pressure. So, had the daughter run the cranking and I read the gauge. Here's the results:
#1-165
2-165
3-170
4-165
5-75 :eek:
6-170
7-125
8-170
So,little backstory. When I first got it running (and I believed it's documented in this thread) was throwing a code for a iat sensor low voltage. Well,it was a new sensor and the test said if it's under 50* which it was,could skew the test. Anyway,the car ran rich,as in burn your eyes in the garage rich. I broke the engine in as I always do,and probably didn't have 200 miles before the turbo install. But,I had intake sealing issues,and everytime I removed the upper intake, there was always traces of oil around the gasket. I always wondered if I fuel washed the rings, and it appears my fears were right. Ugh,this build has tried my nerves to the edge. It's going into storage next weekend at my buddies shop,and the engine will come back out early spring.

• Surprised
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Well, got her pulled out yesterday. Removed valve cover and loosened the rockers on #5. No leakage at the valves,but you could hear the air rushing in the drain ports. Soo, she's coming apart :(

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_151155863.jpg
    IMG_20201127_151155863.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 223
Got some free time this morning to go down to the shop and tear down the shortblock. Initial teardown didn't reveal much,so we went ahead with piston removal and found......cracked ring lands on 5 and 7. Looking for causes here. Detonation? Low octane fuel? Insufficient ring gap? Thoughts @a91what ?

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_135423552.jpg
    IMG_20201212_135423552.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20201212_135417493.jpg
    IMG_20201212_135417493.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 174
Got some free time this morning to go down to the shop and tear down the shortblock. Initial teardown didn't reveal much,so we went ahead with piston removal and found......cracked ring lands on 5 and 7. Looking for causes here. Detonation? Low octane fuel? Insufficient ring gap? Thoughts @a91what ?
I’m gonna have to say insufficient ring end gap.
The PN on the piston is from Wiseco. It’s a 4032 alloy forging..typically ran with very tight tolerances in the bore, because it doesn’t expand very much ( comparably) when it gets hot.
But the rings do...
The wrong end gap will cause them to butt when exposed to heat from too much of a power adder, and not enough timing removed. Certain alloys expand at different rates than the ring, and a “too tight” ring will basically cut the ring land right off the piston.
Thats what that looks like was starting to happen to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m gonna have to say insufficient ring end gap.
The PN on the piston is from Wiseco. It’s a 4032 alloy forging..typically ran with very tight tolerances in the bore, because it doesn’t expand very much ( comparably) when it gets hot.
But the rings do...
The wrong end gap will cause them to butt when exposed to heat from too much of a power adder, and not enough timing removed. Certain alloys expand at different rates than the ring, and a “too tight” ring will basically cut the ring land right off the piston.
Thats what that looks like was starting to happen to me.
I believe you are correct. Probably just gonna order a whole new set.