Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

On my car I had to trim the cold pipe that connects to the intercooler passenger side. I think it was because of the height of my intake with a 1 inch spacer. You can see where I added the piece cut off to the pipe by the TB.

20200419_094642.jpg

Just letting ya know incase you run into a similar issue.

The bypass hose rides on the bottom of the alternator. Squeezes it shut to take belt off. Some folks use a different hose and route it towards the front and up and over to the heater pipe assembly. I left mine alone but installed vinyl sleeving to help protect the hose. No issues. This stuff...

20200421_120715.jpg
Appreciate the tips. I'm almost to the stage of fitting the pipe through the fenderwell,but I'm having a helluva time getting the coupler on my 75mm tb. I'm currently stretching it on a 70mm mass air so hopefully I can get it on tomorrow. And yes,I noticed the bypass hose right away. If that 3g didn't have that boss it would clear no problem.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It was hell getting the coupler on my 75mm throttle body. I put my hand inside the coupler and worked it on the throttle body first. I heated it up with a heat gun and used some wd40 on it. Once I got it on and clamped I let it sit a few hours. After almost 3 years it fits without a lot of fight now. I feel your pain. I used my fingers to work the edge once the throttle body from the inside.

Appreciate the tips. I'm almost to the stage of fitting the pipe through the fenderwell,but I'm having a helluva time getting the coupler on my 75mm tb. I'm currently stretching it on a 70mm mass air so hopefully I can get it on tomorrow. And yes,I noticed the bypass hose right away. If that 3g didn't have that boss it would clear no problem.
Get a can of silicone spray from the automotive section of Walmart or your local parts store. You'll find it near the WD40 and penetrating oils. It works like a champ for getting boots over other pieces of the induction systems of cars (and rubber exhaust hangers, and snap-fit coolant hoses on modern cars, and many other things).

You can also use hose hooks/picks and brake spoons to help stretch the rubber over the throttle body.

Alright guys,help me out here. Currently have the 1/4-1/8 npt adapter where my Schrader valve was. Had an Aeromotive pressure gauge mounted. Trying to get it to where I could see it I ordered a 90* adapter. That put it right next to the downpipe. I need some suggestions here. I cannot find a 1/4-1/8 90* adapter. That would allow me to run a length of braided hose so I could put it where I want it. Unfortunately,the Kirban regulator has no provision for this either. Any ideas?
IMG_20200424_144536283.jpg

Got the 3g installed today,for the most part. The turnbuckle lock nut hits the mounting boss. I tried to clearance it be backside but wasn't sure how far to go. I'm thinking of making a small bracket to bolt to the alternator,then I can bolt the turnbuckle to it. I'll get it figured,just takes time like everything else.
IMG_20200425_202439947.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I tapped my alternator for a bolt that fit the heims joint on the turnbuckle end. Turn the alternator end out a little more that the other end. As the belt tightens up the nut and turn buckle move away from the alternator. Mine is bolted to the front of the alternator. It's in my thread about 2- 3 pages back.

That coupler is PITA on a 75mm TB. Got to have the clamp on the coupler and ready to tighten up as soon as it goes on or it will push itself back off. Probably a good decision to order a different size. I was a broke guy. No other option other than making it work.

I tapped my alternator for a bolt that fit the heims joint on the turnbuckle end. Turn the alternator end out a little more that the other end. As the belt tightens up the nut and turn buckle move away from the alternator. Mine is bolted to the front of the alternator. It's in my thread about 2- 3 pages back.

That coupler is PITA on a 75mm TB. Got to have the clamp on the coupler and ready to tighten up as soon as it goes on or it will push itself back off. Probably a good decision to order a different size. I was a broke guy. No other option other than making it work.
I'll be checking your alternator setup here shortly. The coupler was cheap enough,$12 or so. It's these little things that are driving me crazy. Looks like i'm gonna swap to an Aeromotive regulator to solve my fuel line issue. LOL,the ol' nickle and dime..$$$

Another tip ( I went another route ) people use the 94 to 95 mustang gt upper radiator hose to turn the hose away from the top of the turbo. I used a 90° sink drain elbow and ground the threads off. That allowed me to rotate the upper hose.

It didn't help the hose inlet to the radiator clearance. Neither hose would do that for me. It's so close there's no way I could get a filter on the front of the turbo comfortably. That why I used a 90° coupler and added a filter on the end of that.

I like those scoops. No real need to cut it out if you don't have to.

Is that a 79- 93 t5 ? The 3.8 v6 transmission sits about an inch further back. Is there a tag on one of the bolts for the bell housing ? It isn't a big deal and will work for a while.

I like those scoops. No real need to cut it out if you don't have to.
Just trying to get the heat out,on the cheap.
Is that a 79- 93 t5 ? The 3.8 v6 transmission sits about an inch further back. Is there a tag on one of the bolts for the bell housing ? It isn't a big deal and will work for a while.
It's a TKO 600 with a Lakewood bell, been centerlined. And just trying to get the heat out,on the cheap with the scoop.

I forgot that. I read so much stuff on here...but now I do remember when you were setting it up. With the TKO I have heard of people having the lengthen the slots...like you said...it isn't pretty but it works. :rock:

Success! The new coupler i ordered came in a day early. In my haste i ordered a 3.25-3, nope too big on cold side,should've been 2.75. So,I enlisted the duty of my 13yr old. There was no way my hand was fitting in that coupler,but hers did. About a minute struggle and it was on. Man what a relief
IMG_20200430_125359279.jpg

Reactions: 4 users