Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

Well,its done. But...I can't find my usb to serial port adapter Best buy has ONE left so headed there bright and early tomorrow morning.
IMG_20200512_203428442.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

No jumper harness and I've got a holley systemax intake. That thing is big too...plus my fuel lines run back there. With the plastic bracket removed it fits back there. Kind of a PITA if you have the factory wire loom. Mine tucked away with the factory loom but no issues now with the DEI fabric style split loom from Summit.

Alright gang,got my new cable,got everything hooked up and ready to fire. Turn the key and nothing....crap. It occured to me I made a mistake. When I sold my T5z apparently I left the nss and backup light harness on it. So,my nss is not hooked up. Is there a way around that??

Well it runs..sorta. It did start first try but was popping and running rough. I realized I had 3-4 plug wires switched around,great. Fortunately I was able to just switch them around at the cap. The way the downpipe runs you'd need skeleton hands to get to the back wires. Anyway, it'll start but I have to feather the throttle to keep it running,won't idle on it's own. Sooo, looks like the mad scientist will need to work his magic to get it straightened out.

Reactions: 1 user
That's my new favorite stuff. I used scissors to cut it and a lighter to burn the ends. Keeps them from fraying. The tape is great but will roll up on the wrap side. I used regular UL listed electrical vinyl tape on most of it.

Glad you at least got it to start. Mine wouldn't start until Steve put in like 4 hrs worth of remote work. My car has an issue now with a high idle after stabbing the throttle. I think during the first tune I had unknown issues that we were tuning around. Now, that stuff is fixed but tune needs a redo. Way too much fueling ...must've had a vacuum leak before.

That's my new favorite stuff. I used scissors to cut it and a lighter to burn the ends. Keeps them from fraying. The tape is great but will roll up on the wrap side. I used regular UL listed electrical vinyl tape on most of it.

Glad you at least got it to start. Mine wouldn't start until Steve put in like 4 hrs worth of remote work. My car has an issue now with a high idle after stabbing the throttle. I think during the first tune I had unknown issues that we were tuning around. Now, that stuff is fixed but tune needs a redo. Way too much fueling ...must've had a vacuum leak before.
I just want it to idle so I can set the timing, Steve can do the rest. Getting ready to tear into this loom now :nice:

Had an eventful day. Went to start the car to check some things,ran for a few seconds then heard a strange sound. Shut it down and found my timing light wires wrapped around my water pump pulley☹️....yeah. Well got that undone,started it up again. Ran for about 30secs and died,wouldnt restart. I get out of the car and smell gas. I look behind the car and there's gas everywhere. I get it cleaned ip and discovered a line had popped off the fuel filter....idk. Besides getting the nose on not a very eventful day. And I start back to work tomorrow so garage time is gonna be short.
IMG_20200517_171440492.jpg
IMG_20200517_171502916.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
Monkeybutt and I went to the same trade school. Glad you can admit your shortcomings . The only way I can work on cars is that these are so easy even a slightly gifted garage mechanic can work on them. Just have to regroup , clean up a little, and start again. It feels really good to fix them though. A great hobby that makes unskilled people think your a genius.

• Clever
That sucks about the timing light. The fuel leak is better found in the garage than on the street. I think the car is just acting out because it knows you've got to go back to work. If it frustrates you a little it'll stay on your mind. That's what an ex girlfriend used to tell me when she'd piss me off everytime I had plans to leave the house. You just have a crazy one....accept it....at least she's pretty. My ex wasn't. :nonono:

First day back to work,not too bad except for wearing a mask...not a fan. Anyway,my backuplight/ neutral safety switch came in so got that installed. Waiting on a MM clutch cable then it'll be ready. Oh,work buddy dropped off my GT40 upper. He started powder coating,he owed me a favor and did this for free. Wasn't exact color I was looking for but I think it turned out pretty good.
IMG_20200518_204224106.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
After looking at catback exhausts,I did some shopping around to see if I could do it cheaper. Ended up with 2.5" sve tails,Jones full boar mufflers an 5.0 resto flow tubes with two new insulators $355. Install was not fun. Of course after I cut the old one off realized the tail hangers should probably get replaced too. And as usual parts store had one in stock. Good thing is shipping from another store so i'll have it today.
IMG_20200521_185905971.jpg
IMG_20200522_163728447_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 3 users