MS2 DIYpnp delay circuit

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I have an MS2 DIYpnp and I'm trying to figure out how to set up one of the output relays with a programmable delay. I'd like to interface it with my launch control to be able to set up a delay to allow the car to load the clutch and get it moving to help reduce tire spin and less shock on the drive train. I know this is programmable in the MS3 boxes. I could do it with an adjustable bracket on the clutch switch or by building a delay circuit in the prototype area of the box, but I am thinking it might be able to be done with the inputs and outputs available on the board. That way I could adjust the delay with a few clicks on the keyboard. Any of you MS guru's got any ideas how it could be done?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm using PA0 for launch control and WLED for my shift light. So I have ALED, FIDLE, PT6 and PT7 available. The tinyiox looks like it has timers but for PWM purposes. Can they be modified as one shot timers?

That sounds like a start. Or if I could use the clutch switch to activate ALED output, then tie that into PAO and adjust the seconds to change state once the switch is opened (clutch drop). Boom, programmable launch control timer. Time is going to be very short (maybe .1 to .25 seconds). Just enough to load the driveline and start the car moving.

Last edited:
I think it's similar to enabling WOT cutoff within the DIYPNP.
If not, it make give you a clue.
Begin at post #5.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's similar to enabling WOT cutoff within the DIYPNP.
If not, it make give you a clue.
Begin at post #5.
I might be able to make that work. I could use the "idle up delay" as my launch delay timer, and even use the "compressor delay since last on" as a safety interlock to prevent launch control from activating during shifts. Awesome! Time to do some experimenting. Thanks!

Sometimes my old brain works.
Sparky714: I am a sparky. "No smoke, no glory".
Who else would have a DIYPNP?
I sometimes refer to myself as a rocket scientist because I worked in a building called "Rocket Support".
I'm the electrical kind of sparky (for about five more years, then I'm going to be a retired sparky). If we see smoke, customers tend to get excited, and I have some explaining to do. So we try very hard to avoid that.

I'm also a hobby electronics nerd, so the DIYPNP is a fun project for me. I'm pretty sure I can make the AC output work by reworking my existing setup and adding one relay. Unfortunately, it's winter in North Dakota. So actual road testing will have to wait a couple months.

I did electrical & electronics for various industries. If it didn't exist, we invented it. I've been retired for 10 years. Layed off more times than I can count.
The smoke is when we were developing & testing new products. Never after delivery to the customer. Management got more excited than the customer ever did. They never understood, better before than after.

BTW, if I remember the P/N correctly, the onboard 2N2222A can sink 0.8A; will easily drive an external relay coil.

It's winter here today, best time to do road testing. Only a high of 65, wind chill 50's.
I know all about winters...Central NY near Lake Ontario. That's why I left.

Reactions: 1 user