Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I’ve seen this.

Fender just resting in place. Gonna pick up some new hardware, especially for the top edge that will be visible.

2D003A56-C0DB-4A09-9424-A17C575627E0.jpeg

I might need to paint this inside edge of the fender to match the bay. There’s a bit of a contrast.

6BAA3BDF-239A-4079-B833-C0FDEC58160A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Years ago when I worked on the first gen stangs we mounted the doors first, lining up the door to the rear quarter and wing vent to the windshield post, your doors are undisturbed, then the hood, lining it up to the cowel, then the fenders, lining up the fenders to the cowel and the front of the doors and then to the hood, some do fenders then mount the hood, be prepared to do a lot of adjusting, I only use two bolts on the fender, one front and one rear.
The doors have to be on the car before the fenders.
An expert like @Davedacarpainter or @95steedamustang may have a better way.

When I did my car a few years ago, I took me and a couple coworkers from the body shop to align. Not necessarily the fenders, but definitely the front bumper cover

Years ago when I worked on the first gen stangs we mounted the doors first, lining up the door to the rear quarter and wing vent to the windshield post, your doors are undisturbed, then the hood, lining it up to the cowel, then the fenders, lining up the fenders to the cowel and the front of the doors and then to the hood, some do fenders then mount the hood, be prepared to do a lot of adjusting, I only use two bolts on the fender, one front and one rear.
The doors have to be on the car before the fenders.
An expert like @Davedacarpainter or @95steedamustang may have a better way.
Actually, I paint cars for a living. That said, JR’s way is good.

Mike, you’ll really want a hand aligning the hood and fenders though.

I couldn’t imagine putting on the bumper cover by myself either.

Definitely do the doors first. Get the gaps between the quarters and rockers even on that.

Then try to get the gap from the back of the hood to cowl as even as you can along with the hood edges lining up with the sides of the cowl.

Once you have the fenders loosely mounted you’ll be doing some back and forth adjusting on them and the hood to get all of those gaps right. You’re going to open and close your hood several times in this adjustment process.

Take your time and put a layer of tape on all the edges to avoid chips from accidental slips.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Looks like i need to call up a buddy and offer up some beer in exchange for some help.

I think i'm going hood struts here as well.

OEM steel hood. Seems like there is a passionate following of each brand where both sides call the other side's design crap.

MRT struts?

Or the Redline Struts

The nose is easy if you have another person to help. You can bolt the nose to the fenders and put them on the car as a whole clip. Line up the hood to cowl first. Then all you have to do is line them up to the the door and cowl. Leaving bolts kinda snug by the cowl but not tight. Close the hood and square the fenders at the front bolts. The two brackets on the core support adjust the nose up and down. Then all you've got left are bolting up those PITA fender brackets through the wheel well and bolting the bottom of the nose to the core support. Don't forget the correct shims at the bottom of the fenders by the door and your done.

A little heat from a heat gun really helps get the nose lined up to the fender and having it off the car makes all the brackets easy to get to except the ones that got from core support to the front of the fender.

• Useful
Looks like i need to call up a buddy and offer up some beer in exchange for some help.

I think i'm going hood struts here as well.

OEM steel hood. Seems like there is a passionate following of each brand where both sides call the other side's design crap.

MRT struts?

Or the Redline Struts

I went with mrt, on my car I found it pushed the hood forward slightly. Took some time to adjust, but I'm happy with them.
Stock steel hood as well on a 93 with mm c&c plates.

I have the redline hood struts on mine. I will say, take their warning seriously about drilling the holes in the underside of the hood. If that bit grabs and pulls through it will ding the hood from the underside and it will be VERY visible from the top (shiny side). Yes, I admit this happened to me but fortunately it was a spare hood I had, and not the actual vin'ed hood I put back on the coupe. When I did my actual hood I wrapped a ton of tape around the bit so it couldn't get pulled through.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.