Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Lots of good idea on that nipple.

Decided to whip out the credit card for one last big purchase. This should be the final group of parts I need to buy.

Ordered myself a Contour electric fan, the LMR fan mounting kit with overflow, and their radiator hold down bracket. I figure while I’m here I’ll just get the fan bolted on so it’s done. I wanted something cleaner looking than my 94-95 fan.

So I plan on waiting until that shows up to install the radiator and fill it up. Should probably grab some coolant as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Rad hoses came in.

I’ve said it before, but I’m just not thrilled with the quality of Motorcraft parts for our fox bodies these days. They seem cheap.

New Motorcraft replacement vs either my oem hose.

Actually, I may have replaced this hose in the late 90s. I seem to remember doing so but it still has the stapled on oem hose clamps. Also shows an E7 part number so maybe it is original :shrug:

12F95AF7-6C12-41C3-A8CE-86C2AF2C4D9B.jpeg
79949F7F-09C7-4D60-8A7E-65CFB4EEFF4D.jpeg

I’m almost tempted to just reused the old hose. It looks better, lacks the cheap corrugated crap, and feels just as pliable.

:shrug:

Waiting on my fan stuff now

Last edited:
Well, opportunity to work on the Mustang this AM got displaced by daily driver maintenance.

Changed out a howling wheel bearing on my Taurus. 3rd on this car. Not a bad job, but my distaste for fixing “normal” cars is growing exponentially. So many other things I’d rather do with my time.

The timing sucks too on buying a new vehicle with the way the car market is.
7BEBDC6E-51E8-41CD-AE09-63E1FC9F3378.jpeg

Rad hoses came in.

I’ve said it before, but I’m just not thrilled with the quality of Motorcraft parts for our fox bodies these days. They seem cheap.

New Motorcraft replacement vs either my oem hose.

Actually, I may have replaced this hose in the late 90s. I seem to remember doing so but it still has the stapled on oem hose clamps. Also shows an E7 part number so maybe it is original :shrug:

12F95AF7-6C12-41C3-A8CE-86C2AF2C4D9B.jpeg
79949F7F-09C7-4D60-8A7E-65CFB4EEFF4D.jpeg

I’m almost tempted to just reused the old hose. It looks better, lacks the cheap corrugated crap, and feels just as pliable.

:shrug:

Waiting on my fan stuff now
soak them in 303 and they will be like new

Just remembered this. What to do about it?

I don’t want to remove this pipe. I don’t want a repro without it.
For the nipple, isn't it already hooked up to your intake in post 863? Keep it where it is supposed to be.

Good choice on the Contour fans. Are you going to run them dual speed or just high speed? If you are interested in running the factory overflow, it does fit between Contour fans and PS/AC pulleys, I have been running mine this way for 4 years now (3 core OE style rad).

For the nipple, isn't it already hooked up to your intake in post 863? Keep it where it is supposed to be.

Good choice on the Contour fans. Are you going to run them dual speed or just high speed? If you are interested in running the factory overflow, it does fit between Contour fans and PS/AC pulleys, I have been running mine this way for 4 years now (3 core OE style rad).

No. The line you see in post 863 is the vacuum line down to the charcoal canister. The nipple is open. I ended up just buying a peice of 1/4" heater tube to put on the nipple and plug it with a bolt temporarily. I will just replace the entire tube with one that lacks the port at a later date.

I haven't decided on the fan controller for the fans just yet. Doing a lot of Youtube video watching right now, but I am liking the Derale PWM controller. For now, i'm just going to hook the fans up to a single Bosch 75A relay and manually turn them on/off.

I actually ended up buying a coolant overflow from Chase Bays (same folks that i got the PS reservoir from). Their bottle looks the same and I like how it was built. The contour fan kit comes with a bottle, but after some searching you can see the LMR bottle is the same $30 no-name bottle you see all over Amazon and ebay. I kinda liked the heft and robustness of the Chase bays bottle so I splurged.

I just want to get the engine started before winter (and maybe a quick test drive up the street, and then will do all this detail work over the winter.

If you are going to run a MS3 why not just use a dorman 902-310 relay? it will allow you to setup a PWM circuit right from the ECU without the need of a separate controller

I actually have a Volvo OEM pwm fan controller I was going to use with the MS3. Haven’t had time to bench test it, but it’s a relatively simple setup only needing the single wire output from the Ms.

My internal debate is really if I want the MS3 to control the fan or if I rather have an independent controller. For now I’m just going to use a simple relay

I haven't decided on the fan controller for the fans just yet. Doing a lot of Youtube video watching right now, but I am liking the Derale PWM controller.
The Derale PWM controllers are actually DCC controllers that were widely used and loved years ago.. They partnered with Brian Baskin a few years back so they would be a solid choice

• Agree
The Derale PWM controllers are actually DCC controllers that were widely used and loved years ago.. They partnered with Brian Baskin a few years back so they would be a solid choice
I used a few of the DCC controllers back in the day but grew tired of the terrible customer service and wait times, so I went with the FAL VSC's and never looked back. The reviews on the Derale PWM's are mixed as an FYI.

I saw the negative reviews on that unit as well. I’ll hold off for now and do a simple 3-relay low/high setup and run that for now. It will switch between running both fan motors in series (low speed) and then powering both directly (high speed). It’s sorta/kinda how the contour fan is wired from the factory.

When i finally wire in the MS3x I’ll let it do the fan control with the Volvo pwm controller I have. That will allow me to shut off the fan at WOT and over certain cruising speeds (usually 40mph)

Haven’t worked on the car because parts still in the mail.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.