Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Contour fan kit came in.

Brackets are nicely made. Will mount the fan up pretty cleanly.

Not using the bottle. Going with a different bottle. Likely flip it on eBay. Wish LMR sold the kit without the bottle.

FE772B17-E07F-4BA5-9F58-E8E127BFB8D6.jpeg

Contour Fans Schematic.jpg
Aside from the T fitting and sensor at the bottom, this is essentially how the Contour is wired from the factory. On the factory Contour the low and high relays are triggered by the PCM.

I never understood the necessity of installing an electric fan.

The clutch fan moves a ton more air. :shrug:

I guess it makes sense for setups with electric water pumps and turbo-timers.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest benefit I see is it frees up power. The clutch fan will always draw/use power to be turned. The electric fans can increase the load on the alternator when running. When not running, that power the clutch fan or alternator used is still available to the engine.

I just tonight did a 5 hour drive at highway/interstate speed. My fans did not kick on once. So for 5 hours of driving my engine did not have the load of turning the clutch fan. Whether I needed the extra available power or just gained some small amount of (fuel) efficiency, I can't say I felt or noticed a difference, but I never ran my car with a clutch fan.

The clutch fan 'feathers' when it cools. It's not much of a draw at cruise either. Increasing the demand on an alternator also increases the parasitic draw.

In the end, I dunno that you're saving much but you do sacrifice quite a bit of airflow not just through the radiator, but through the entire engine bay.

When I drive the Mustang, the driveway stays clear of leaves. :D

• Haha
The clutch fan 'feathers' when it cools. It's not much of a draw at cruise either. Increasing the demand on an alternator also increases the parasitic draw.

In the end, I dunno that you're saving much but you do sacrifice quite a bit of airflow not just through the radiator, but through the entire engine bay.

When I drive the Mustang, the driveway stays clear of leaves. :D

Clutch fan overkill for my needs here in New England with the big brass 3-core radiator I’m using. When I used to cruise around in the fall, my fan was pretty much off the entire time. Only time it came on is if I stopped and idled for a while.

Really it’s about control. I need it for the ac, and when idling or in traffic. Other than that, it’s off.

I can’t use it as a leaf blower because I usually park it for the season when the leaves start falling off the tree

Contour fan showed up. Have to trim some of the plastic off forst, but the bottom bracket appears to be intended to bolt from the inside of the fan, and the top on the outside. Or maybe both on the inside? I’ll have to watch the video again

8B94AC72-D650-45C5-BD67-7E5DDA14A809.jpeg
16C0B9E1-BA87-43AC-8990-5595DAFC6F2E.jpeg

I know you have the install kit from LMR, but have you considered a simple box frame. Here is what I did...

IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

The flat of the angle made for a great surface to put some adhesive foam tape as a contact surface to the rad.

You could take the frame idea above and cut out the section that would interfere with your support rod. On mine, the frame rivets to the Contour shroud. You could do the same with the two frame sections and rivet to fan shroud.

Overall, covers the entire radiator much more complete. My SN 95 fan left open areas. I’m not too worried about a reduction in cfm. The added area shrouded plus the fact that my car cools itself very well with this big 3-core brass radio means it will likely not be an issue. I don’t really drive when it’s blisteringly hot anyway. Not fun IMHO even with ac. I like windows down, and sunroof off.

AA25EAD7-231B-4CA9-B435-DA16306837AC.jpeg
90BBF293-15D3-4BD5-B4FC-9B80FD4AE78E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.