Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I love the new GT500. I don’t know if I could drive one though…because I know I would probably become desperate to buy one, lol.

I've been on the GT500 forums and FB groups ever since. Been watching a lot of Youtube vids. I've gotten my hands on a few brochures and the want is real. I won't be buying one though. For one, Ford cut production this year due to the chip shortage. Only 3000 units. As a result, dealer markups are nuts and i'm a cheap bastard that refuses to pay markup. Secondly...family goals and priorities mean my dream has to wait a little while.

I did enter this contest to try and win one in Sept. ;)

But the Fox won't be going anywhere. I'm just a bigger S550 fan now than ever.

I mean....who wouldn't want to drive this once in a while. Go to 11:55 for some fun stuff. Pretty much my reaction the first time I went WOT in the GT500

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZcXI3jbJvM&t=15s

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

GT500 is awesome !
At one point in the video you can see a red car in the left lane just disappear in the side mirror as he accelerates.

I know this is apples to oranges but I really enjoy using the paddle shifters in my VW with a DCT , shifts lighting fast , I
can't imagine what that GT500 is like.

Last edited:
I know this is apples to oranges but I really enjoy using the paddle shifters in VW with a DCT , shifts lighting fast , I
can't imagine what that GT500 is like.

It’s a blast. I’m sold on the DCT. No need for a 6-spd in that car.

it shifts so fast that the balance of the car does not get upset. There’s no jerk like with a stock car when you lift, shift gears and let go of the clutch. With the DCT the only way you know the car has changed gears is the sound of the engine. There’s no shift in the weight of the car, which is crotical when you have 760HP. I was in awe at how well the car actually held the road.

the paddles were fun as well. In automatic mode, they are always active. So if you are in a curve and you know you are going to roll out under power, you can just hit the downshift paddle and the car will (quickly) downshift and rev match without unbalancing the car. You can do it in a curve, and then roll onto the gas and the car will perform the up shifts at redline perfectly.

the rev-matching downshifts with the exhaust in track mode sound beautiful inside the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Welp, had to pay some attention to the Fox. Really felt like I was neglecting her with all this S550 love. Even my wife said I hadn’t laid sat inside and rowed through the gears making vroom vroom noises since I drove the gt500. She was right :(

So I started working on installing the exhaust. Installed the o2 sensor harness first. Then I started assembling the x-Pope.
29923E28-BE5C-4463-9EBF-366EC76F3D04.jpeg

was starting to put it on the car when I remembered I needed to block off the useless air tube. This wasn’t exactly routed the smartest way

C83ADAE7-5B13-47DE-93BA-328E370412B3.jpeg

I may cut it back to the support and installed a shorter silicone hose with plug. That way if the EPA every gets crazy I can reinstall the original pump and pipe. Hopefully not.

hipefully have the exhaust done this weekend and the car back on 4 wheels.

Reactions: 3 users
Ehhaust is installed. What a PITA. Took me 2 hours but done. It fit fine, but trying to do it on stands and moving around to every location and slowly tightening and checking clearances was tedious and exhausting. Lots of up and down. But it’s done.

o2 sensor harness run and o2 sensors installed.

filled the t5 back up car is back on 4 wheels.

Since we all like pics
3CB6A82F-8847-4C05-8EC2-6F5A0987FECD.jpeg

there not much left to get done
D24ADD1A-BE8F-4263-90CD-26BF886934A6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 8 users
Ehhaust is installed. What a PITA. Took me 2 hours but done. It fit fine, but trying to do it on stands and moving around to every location and slowly tightening and checking clearances was tedious and exhausting. Lots of up and down. But it’s done.

o2 sensor harness run and o2 sensors installed.

filled the t5 back up car is back on 4 wheels.

Since we all like pics
3CB6A82F-8847-4C05-8EC2-6F5A0987FECD.jpeg

there not much left to get done
D24ADD1A-BE8F-4263-90CD-26BF886934A6.jpeg
why does “ first start” resemble a single cell organism drawing from 6th grade science class?

Welp, had to pay some attention to the Fox. Really felt like I was neglecting her with all this S550 love. Even my wife said I hadn’t laid sat inside and rowed through the gears making vroom vroom noises since I drove the gt500. She was right :(

So I started working on installing the exhaust. Installed the o2 sensor harness first. Then I started assembling the x-Pope.
29923E28-BE5C-4463-9EBF-366EC76F3D04.jpeg

was starting to put it on the car when I remembered I needed to block off the useless air tube. This wasn’t exactly routed the smartest way

C83ADAE7-5B13-47DE-93BA-328E370412B3.jpeg

I may cut it back to the support and installed a shorter silicone hose with plug. That way if the EPA every gets crazy I can reinstall the original pump and pipe. Hopefully not.

hipefully have the exhaust done this weekend and the car back on 4 wheels.
I have this same piece. I bought a SS bolt (I think it was 5/8”) and inserted it into the end of the Thermactor tube and used a clamp to hold it in. No hose…

I wonder what size and how true that pipe is before the flare. I was considering cutting off the flare and using a compression fitting with a cap. That way, it's always possible to couple up to it again with a hard fitting if necessary. On my previous H-pipes, I've always shoved in a piece of solid stock and welded it shut, or smash the pipe flat if the wall is thin enough (BBK parts are, Magnaflows were too thick) and zip up seem. I was far less concerned with O/R pipes since the air pump doesn't do anything, but it would be nice to keep the door open for an air pump installation on a mid pipe with live cats, even though it's only for cold start emissions.

I ended up cutting it back to the straight portion. A 3/4" hose slipped perfectly over the end and a 3/4" peice of bar stock into the other end and 2 hose clamps. I just wanted to keep the possibility of adding the air pump in the future at a later date.

Not as clean as i'd like, but easy to do and quickly reversible if i want to add the smog pump later on (which i don't but who knows what will happen in 10 years or so). All my smog stuff i've removed is packed into a box and stored. Only smog stuff left is the EGR (for now).

If i added the air pump, i'd just connect witha 3/4" long hose and call it a day. I did this back when i had my stock H-pipe and the air pump.

1624288222738.png

Status
Not open for further replies.