Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So initial impressions.

On first startup, it sounded the same. Like….exactly the same. Not necessarily a bad thing as I was afraid of it changing the sound in a way I would hate. But nope. My car sounded just like my car.

A few mins later I could tell some subtle differences.

For one, it is a little quieter. Is it noticeably quieter? Eh…not a huge difference but as it sat cold start idling I could tell it wasn’t as loud.

Full Rev? Sounds way better. I can tell a difference and I love it. It’s loud.

DB readings.

Interior; windows up, cold idle
flowmasters : 69-71 db
Borla pro XS : 67-69 db

Outside behind car cold idle
Flowmasters: 83-85 db
Borla: 79-82 db

5k rpm WOT blip:
Flowmasters: 112db
Borla: TBD. Edit: 113db

I messed up my Borla wot blip as I Didn’t set the meter to hold highest reading. Of course I didn’t realize this until the car was away. So I’ll need to do it later.

But it’s def quieter. A decrease of 3 DB is a reduction of power by 50% so that’s huge. That’s not a 50% reduction in volume howecer

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Took it for a spin around the block. Sounds nice. Definitely quieter at idle but I can hear my cam chop a bit better.

Looks like 2-4 DB reduction at idle.

But I measured wot and got 113 DB, so no reduction when you get on it.

I met my goal.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Coolant leak. Looks like front corner of the lower intake. Noticed I was a tad low on coolant and after moving the car from the garage for the first time since fall, seemed like there was a small puddle on the ground.

I don’t want to pull the lower, so I retorqued both front corners. Hope that holds….

042FE270-F2E6-486F-A24B-DB8B5142CED4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I found out after resealing the top end on my Grand Marquis that the lower intake bolts definitely back out a bit and need a retorque after a couple heat cycles. A few of them needed several turns to get tight again.

I should pull the upper off and go through them all. I just did the front ones, but they needed a little extra snug.

I should prob do an oil change, so perfect time to snoop around the engine and see what's going on

• Agree
Wanted to check off a few boxes for things that were preventing me from cruising…mainly the front brake line rubbing on the wheel. Thing is, I forgot what side it was.

Pull the drivers side wheel on since garage parking allows easy access. Nope. Wrong side.

B663F81F-46D7-46AF-A5B1-11F3A43AA128.jpeg
4E7936E7-B328-4457-B155-01C44C458ADF.jpeg

Plenty of clearance on this side brake line. The wheel clears the coil-over with plenty of room. My 9” wheels will have more clearance. Gotta check the other side a different day now.

This 98 cobra wheel is my junk wheel. Needs refinishing and the rim has a small crack on the backside. I was actually going to have weldcraft cut this down to 5” and make a spare tire out of it, but my other solution was cheaper

B4006838-5644-4E87-AD1F-6F0DF7FA314A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
On a more serious note, still dropping coolant. I started the engine up a few times since and let car warm up (and went around block)

The lower intake is now dry. No leaks there, but I’m still loosing coolant somewhere. There’s a wet spot under the car and level is low. This is a new development as all summer long last year this level held.

Might have to pressure test and put the front on jackstands and poke around.
570B92ED-ADC4-43D4-861F-AEB03244795B.jpeg

Weep hole dry on the pump?
Wanna bet it a loose clamp at a heater hose?

Nope. Dry. But I’m peeking from the side so my view is limited. Need to get it lifted up and crawl under. Looks like it’s more on the drivers side front of the engine.

Oil level is fine. I see it on the ground but can’t correlate it to a spot on the engine.

In other bad news…

Cleaned this up. Trying to get it fired up and won’t start. Have fuel air and compression. Spark seems weak. It will spark from boot to screwdriver to head, but when I plug in the spark plug I get a weak spark. Non-existent.

New plugs on order but everything is sloooooww.

It does clean up nicely though

AD931D1B-99CC-4B5F-A16D-5E37D4106B02.jpeg

In other bad news…

Cleaned this up. Trying to get it fired up and won’t start. Have fuel air and compression. Spark seems weak. It will spark from boot to screwdriver to head, but when I plug in the spark plug I get a weak spark. Non-existent.

New plugs on order but everything is sloooooww.

It does clean up nicely though

AD931D1B-99CC-4B5F-A16D-5E37D4106B02.jpeg
I would check if the mag has points in it, if so clean them..... I also had some rust develop on the inside of the flywheel once and the magnets would not develop a "strong" spark until I cleaned up the flywheel.... I chased that one for a while as it had spark, but it was a weak spark too.....

Already tried to chase that done. Cleaned up the points real well. I can see sparks jumping. I did order a new set so I can try replacing them.

I’ve got new plugs, points and condensers on the way. The coils ohmed out ok. I’m throwing parts at the problem which I hate doing, but my usual checks aren’t giving me any leads.

I’ve got fuel as I can smell the gas in the cylinder and the plugs are getting wet. I have air, and compression is 140psi cold which is well above spec. Spark just seem iffy. I haven’t gotten it to fire once at all.

739D777D-19A6-420C-A5EE-94ED87BE43A8.jpeg

Left you the same message " Elsewhere " but new plugs is where I would go... Fouled motorcycle plugs never seem to fire again...
Kawa 500 Ieft the choke on too long when cold starting.. Fouled the plug and never even popped again... New plug and it fired right up

borrowed a friends coolant pressure system. Started pumping up.

At 11psi, I heard a nose and heard bubbling.

At 16 psi I heard the coolant hitting the ground and found it.

283303B4-6C79-41D8-B01B-0D9D897F5939.jpeg

Coming from the radiator hose on the t/stat housing. Had to hop on a work call, but need to clean this up, tighten up the clamp, and retest. This clamp might be too wide, and I might have to get something a little skinnier that will clamp down a bit tighter. Hopefully it’s easy.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.