Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Drivers side. I remember when this one broke 20 years ago.

2D20BD93-C750-41AC-84B5-2A70FCAC1403.jpeg

now my door stays open. You have no idea how nice it is that the door holds open now.
BED9FAAC-CCA7-4937-8B24-608D4B9EC97C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
One more thing off the list. Small things are getting done. Gonna take a few days off from work soon and focus on the wiring. It’s a major hurdle I need to get through.

Reactions: 1 user
Wanted to turn it around in the garage, so I pushed it out and spun it around.

first time in almost 2 years it’s been outside in the sunlight.
A1E1772E-A369-426B-8C5B-EF78BE7B8571.jpeg
61A92893-D308-40BC-99FF-CB16CA732E04.jpeg
DF49A68A-F7A4-4565-8118-B12BF653CFC9.jpeg

0E3D281F-0DE8-4B02-84B1-0DB24D4EA6AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Very nice work on the door rollers! I need to do this on my ‘95. The roller got stuck at some point in its life and developed a flat spot. It also doesn’t like to stay open.

Reactions: 1 user
Working on some behind the scenes work with the wiring. Nothing worth showing pics of. I bought some 4ga welding cable and started planning my wiring routes for the alternator and starter as well as the battery cables. I'm trying to incorporate this into the OE system of suspending the starter cable from two brackets on the side of the engine. So working on that, as well as routing the alternator wire in the same loom. Fun times. I figure another solid 1 or 2 days, and i can power up the car and see if the engine turns over by key. I can't start it yet, as i have yet to refurb the distributor.

The PITA is running the wiring in the driver's side AND getting the fender liner to fit. I'm trying to not extend any wires. The pass side is EASY on a pre-airbag car. There's one harness and it only connects to the O2 sensor harness and WOT relay, so both are mounted at the rear of the well and i'm all set.

SFC's are next on my radar. I already have the MM full-lenght subs in the box, but i got to looking at the Kenny Brown kit with the jacking rails. The idea of being able to put jackstands at the corners appeals to me, as the jackstands on the Subframe has gotten in my way a few times. Is it worth $500 when i already have the $220 MM SFCS? Probably not.

Working on some behind the scenes work with the wiring. Nothing worth showing pics of. I bought some 4ga welding cable and started planning my wiring routes for the alternator and starter as well as the battery cables. I'm trying to incorporate this into the OE system of suspending the starter cable from two brackets on the side of the engine. So working on that, as well as routing the alternator wire in the same loom. Fun times. I figure another solid 1 or 2 days, and i can power up the car and see if the engine turns over by key. I can't start it yet, as i have yet to refurb the distributor.

The PITA is running the wiring in the driver's side AND getting the fender liner to fit. I'm trying to not extend any wires. The pass side is EASY on a pre-airbag car. There's one harness and it only connects to the O2 sensor harness and WOT relay, so both are mounted at the rear of the well and i'm all set.

SFC's are next on my radar. I already have the MM full-lenght subs in the box, but i got to looking at the Kenny Brown kit with the jacking rails. The idea of being able to put jackstands at the corners appeals to me, as the jackstands on the Subframe has gotten in my way a few times. Is it worth $500 when i already have the $220 MM SFCS? Probably not.

I used the stifflers Kit and was not disappointed. Quality stuff and easy to install

I used the stifflers Kit and was not disappointed. Quality stuff and easy to install

The FIT system?

That's another option.

Yikes I’m worried about getting these liners back in, I’ve been tempted to take my fender off on the drivers to pull the wiring up higher once i back out the old efi harness and run the new one in, plus I’ve been wanting to possibly do the wiper motor relocation and run some of my cowl gauge wires differently so it’s all completely clean on that wall. Unfortunately I got myself caught up in one to many projects that’s delaying me from finishing up and getting the car off jack stands.

The FIT system?

That's another option.
Yes, I have pictures from the installation if you would like to see them or you can find them in my build thread

you are installing a “ ladder” instead of a piece of rectangular tubing if you use any of the kits with jacking rails. when considering the force required to twist a ladder versus a single piece of rectangular tubing that alone should convince you to buy one. every car I’ve ever built has a homemade version of that style SF connector, and i can literally get three tires off the ground when placing the jack in the rear corner.
That stiffness, plus having the flexibility to put a jack stand anywhere under the car where there is that brace makes that a no brainer.

Reactions: 3 users
I will say that I have pretty much every single component that Stifflers makes for the Lightning. Their quality is right up there with MM.

I'm curious to know how much add'l weight the FIT system would add over the MM SFCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.