Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve actually seen complete, or mostly complete track cars for sale in my area for pretty cheap since they are no longer road legal and probably have a small market.

If I decide to go down this route, I need to look into various racing classes available around me and look up the rules for allowable modifications.

I flip flop on what I want to do so not set in stone. So many desires, not enough time or money to do them all.

• Sponsors (?)

I was looking into buying a BMW 328 5 speed coupe for HPDE. You'd be surprised how cheap those cars are. Found a few stock running cars for less than 2k. Decided not to do it though.

I'm not sure I could do something that isn't a Mustang. I realize I won't be as competitive, but I gotta stick with what I know. I know Miatas owned the autoX circuit, but i'd rather struggle in a Mustang than dominate in a miata...if that makes any sense.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You can totally stay with a Mustang. Last summer, I remember seeing a fox notch, and also an SN95 (R looking) running SCCA. NASA or SCCA will be good places to race. Also if you simply want track time, then an HPDE works. www.scda1.com is a great outfit.

Luckily I dont feel bad with this continued thread deviation, but it is your thread (ha ha).

Reactions: 1 user
Thread deviations are fine. I do edit them out months dosn the road just so anyone who browses can filter past easily.

either way. Any additional project cars needs to wait until this one is complete.

speaking of which, I spent an hour tucking the wires. Pass side was easy. Drivers side will need a little more work.

On the pre-airbag cars the pass side is one harness. I left my MAF wiring in the bay however since I had no clear way to run it.
EEC090D2-5629-46C3-A6E2-3CDADED0DDCA.jpeg

Drivers side a little trickier getting it all in. Now to mount the distribution block and start hooking it up. I need to decide how to run the wire for the coil. I’ll need to extend it but I need a route.
55032ACB-6044-4439-BDEA-4532DAE3DBFD.jpeg

but here it is with the two main harnesses in the fenders.
567D6371-3718-4A5E-B07C-424C0DD8A56C.jpeg

No sneak peeks of the intake yet. Dying to see what it looks like

Last edited:
Looking good.

I ditched the washer fluid reservoir....because why not. That allowed me to mount my distribution block right above the access hole. The thought was that this will allow me to add circuits in the future without having to wrestle with the fender liner. All of my wires were just barely long enough to reach. I routed all of mine with the exception of the hood latch cable through the rear-most hole on the fender apron behind the strut tower. If you mount your block anywhere to the rear of the washer fluid reservoir, you should have plenty of wire. I did have to extend the wires to the master cylinder as well as the coil. I moved my coil from the strut tower to the fender apron area to the rear of the battery.

The passenger side was straightforward. Surprisingly, my MAF wiring was just long enough to be tucked. I did have to extend the O2 harness wiring a bit to get it tucked up the way I wanted it. YMMV on that one, however. I also went ahead and tucked my TFI relocation while I was at it and mounted it along with the 2 factory relays to where they could be accessed via the passenger fender apron access hole.

My coil is I'm the factory location. I used a hole that is pointing straight into the engine bay from behind the strut in the strut tower. I had to de - pin the factory connector and reinstall after feeding the wires through a small grommet placed in the factory hole in the tower.

Thread deviations are fine. I do edit them out months dosn the road just so anyone who browses can filter past easily.

either way. Any additional project cars needs to wait until this one is complete.

speaking of which, I spent an hour tucking the wires. Pass side was easy. Drivers side will need a little more work.

On the pre-airbag cars the pass side is one harness. I left my MAF wiring in the bay however since I had no clear way to run it.
EEC090D2-5629-46C3-A6E2-3CDADED0DDCA.jpeg

Drivers side a little trickier getting it all in. Now to mount the distribution block and start hooking it up. I need to decide how to run the wire for the coil. I’ll need to extend it but I need a route.
55032ACB-6044-4439-BDEA-4532DAE3DBFD.jpeg

but here it is with the two main harnesses in the fenders.
567D6371-3718-4A5E-B07C-424C0DD8A56C.jpeg

No sneak peeks of the intake yet. Dying to see what it looks like
You made the right choice with those braided lines coming off the MC!!

Ok, I have a teaser of the intake done.

I’m debating showing it now or waiting til I get the intake plate on and installed.

remind me to flush the internal cavities for sandblast media and powder. Critical I check that. I had a friend who fubared their engine due to media inside the manifold.

My coil is I'm the factory location. I used a hole that is pointing straight into the engine bay from behind the strut in the strut tower. I had to de - pin the factory connector and reinstall after feeding the wires through a small grommet placed in the factory hole in the tower.

I’ll likely do that. I need to repair the coil plug with a new connector so I’ll likely extend the wires.

My wires come out right above where the brake proportioning valve was and goes straight forward to the coil. With the factory connector rubber boot you don't even notice the wires there.

I have stainless ARP for the short bolts. I was thinking studs and stainless arp 12pt nuts for the others. All over stainless washers.

or maybe black. I have some of each so I’ll mock it up and see what looks better

Status
Not open for further replies.