Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

You are looking at the inside of the frame rail where the shock tower and the frame come together.

Is that the part that always gets all the crud on it, or is this inside the fenderwell?

Looking at this is both terrifying and exhilarating. Exhilarating because it means using the welder and terrifying because it means using the welder. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Is that the part that always gets all the crud on it, or is this inside the fenderwell?

Looking at this is both terrifying and exhilarating. Exhilarating because it means using the welder and terrifying because it means using the welder. :D

That’s how I felt doing my floor pans as my first welding project. Lol. But they are way stronger now than the rusted crap that was there!!

Got some stuff done tonight. Holes relocated. Fairly easy to do, just took some more time that’s all.

enjoy the pics. I ended up moving the holes back about 3/4” roughly
EA964E7D-9B92-41B6-B369-B3606DAA0546.jpeg
5F353C2E-6E9D-4933-AC64-B111822D8312.jpeg
AEEC5754-C3D5-4B23-A63B-4FCA670E4CC4.jpeg
61B3A1E8-89D3-4324-AB4A-C7FE9582A078.jpeg
22831534-7DF7-4DA6-A550-AE6CF69A6E6C.jpeg
55B4D8FD-3B3B-459B-947C-321DA626E030.jpeg
F0C61611-7F3C-4629-BEF5-CE12E577C3B3.jpeg
42241046-B9BC-484D-8658-079BF187E3D4.jpeg

oh I also got a part in from Maximum Motorsports. Premature, but lead times have been long and there was one available. so I bought it just to get it set. I’ll show pics tomorrow. Too tired now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
WTH am I looking at? I can never tell where any of this stuff comes from because usually pics are too close for me to get my bearings.

It’s where the k member bolts up. Swapping in a 99-04 rail as a donor piece and the k-member mount holes are off about 3/4”. I had to relocate them back a tad.

now it’s done, so I can continue on welding in the donor frame rail/strut tower.

0B2DBEAE-5DDA-44F6-8140-93C26CC5182B.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Ok - I think I understand now. Are you going to run a full bead, or are the spot welds you put in all that normally holds it together?

Plug welds on all the spot welds I drilled out, buttweld to the front of the frame rail from the tower forward and using a piece of 2x2 square tubing inside as a splice where i'll be using a few stictch and plug welds to support it.

Strut tower will get stitch welds on both sides since there is a 1" overlap, and then the aprons will go back with stitch welds and plug welds.

Then plug weld the sway bar mount back on.

I have a plan in my head. I just need to sit down, do my final prep work, and do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some parts.

Got my MM hydroboost kit in. LMR had one left in stock an a long lead time from MM so I bought one now.
79F5E61D-4A64-44AE-8C79-9D21C1B7EB72.jpeg

If you notice, there’s no brake pedal pad in the pic. That’s because there wasn’t one in the box. LMR is trying to get their hands on one for me from MM. stay tuned.

• Hell Yeah!
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I'd be curious on how easily it goes in.
I'm going to retrofit mine and rebuild my hydrboost at the same time.
With any luck, mine will come out easy and go back in easy since all the brake lines are done and operating.
I've read the MM instructions online (who the hell knows when it will come at this point) and without the parts in hand, they seem confusing. Then again, so did the panhard bar instructions and that wasn't too bad.

Seems ok. I'm going to remove the OE mounting plate on the hydroboost shortly, and swap on the MM piece. Once you do that, it fits into the firewall like a vacuum booster would.

The bare AL spacer in the bag in the above pic goes on the pedal box inside the firewall. It replaces the OEM plastic part. I don't recall what part they are talking about, so i'll have to see once I pull my pedals.

I'm actually trying to find a SN95 clutch pedal to swap with the fox pedal on my current pedal box. I hope it swaps out because i'd like to install the 01 bullitt pedal kit I bought years back onto it. Hoping I can modify the MM pedal pad to accept it as well.

BTW, LMR is having MM ship me a new pedal. No idea what the lead time will be however.

The one downside of the MM hydroboost kit is it says it won't work with the STB I currently have. I want to run it, so i'll need to see where the interference is and see if i can modify the brace. Might have to cut and weld a bit. Either way, i want to keep the STB as i liked the look, but more importantly did notice a reduction of cowl shake with it inplace. Also, with coil-overs, i like having the two towers supported.

The one downside of the MM hydroboost kit is it says it won't work with the STB I currently have. I want to run it, so i'll need to see where the interference is and see if i can modify the brace. Might have to cut and weld a bit. Either way, i want to keep the STB as i liked the look, but more importantly did notice a reduction of cowl shake with it inplace. Also, with coil-overs, i like having the two towers supported.

STB?

Yes, Strut Tower Brace. The MM brace doesn't clear for some reason. As soon as I get this frame rail welded in this weekend, I intend to do some mock-ups and see where the interference is with the hydroboost, and what I need to do to get around it.

An MM brace doesn’t fit with an MM hydro boost kit? That seems like a bit of an oversight on their part.

I'm guessing it has to do with the angle of the hydroboost and the fact that the MC reservoir is higher.

only pic I found, but does appear that the bar that goes back to the firewall may hit. Obviously this is not my car...but what I hope it to look like shortly.
mmbak-19_d56f1c5e.jpg

mmbak-19_6a1c4101.jpg

Once i assemble the hydroboost, i'll do a test fit with the brace. I plan on modifying the brace to fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you have to move or bend around your factory brake lines or does the master cylinder end up the same spot? It's difficult to tell form the pictures if the hydroboost unit ends up being at the same depth as it does with the vacuum booster.

Great build by the way! It's really fun to check out your progress. Nice work!

I supposed i should have figured out that stb was a strut tower brace. Probably didn't help reading it on a phone, not a computer.

I took a look at mine, with the 96 hydroboost, compared it to installed MM brace pics and honestly, my guess would be it fits or is real close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.