Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Compression Ratio

• Sponsors(?)

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Been a slow couple weeks. So much pollen in the air I dare not take the car out after detailing it several hours a couple weeks ago.

Greased and assembled the 3-piece bushings in my A-arms. These are now wall-hangers for a few months

IMG_4764.JPG

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Realized I never unboxed this either. Figure I should inspect it. Really nice quality stuff.

I imagine as some point I'll change out the flowmasters. prob gain some power with the new heads

IMG_4766.JPG

Reactions: RaggedGT

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Do you plan on weighing out the mm k member and a arms to compare with your factory junk?
I could do that. I still have the front springs and my old struts, and i'll need to remove the coil overs and C/C plates anyway. Would be cool to see how much weight the entire setup would drop. I can at least weight the arms and k-member now

I think the biggest change however will be going from the stock E7's to the aluminum TFS170s

Boostedpimp

10 Year Member
May 8, 2003
NJ
Nice, yeah it would be cool to see what you come up with. Your's will be different from mine because I have the moly UPR setup but here's what I came up with last time I did the swap. **forgot to toss the coil sleeves and collars on the scale which is annoying but plan to in the future when I need to replaces the struts.

OEM k member 44.1 lbs
OEM a arms with ball joints 12.2 lbs each
Lakewood struts 11lbs
OEM springs 13 lbs each

UPR moly K member 17.4.lbs
UPR tubular a arms 6 lbs each
Eibach springs 3 lbs each

Reactions: Mustang5L5

darkfader

Mustang Master
Feb 16, 2017
Davis, WV
MM claims about a 38 pound decrease with the K and arms IIRC. I didn’t even think about weighing my parts when I did the swap but I also dropped my stock K with rack, arms, shocks and spindles still attached. Lol

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Nice, yeah it would be cool to see what you come up with. Your's will be different from mine because I have the moly UPR setup but here's what I came up with last time I did the swap. **forgot to toss the coil sleeves and collars on the scale which is annoying but plan to in the future when I need to replaces the struts.

OEM k member 44.1 lbs
OEM a arms with ball joints 12.2 lbs each
Lakewood struts 11lbs
OEM springs 13 lbs each

UPR moly K member 17.4.lbs
UPR tubular a arms 6 lbs each
Eibach springs 3 lbs each

Here's what I got so far.

Tokico struts w/strut mounts : 28.8 lbs combined
Oe style springs from Mach 1: 20.4 lbs combined
MM k member with hardware and brace: 41.6 lbs
MM tubular street arms : 15.4 lbs combined

Some other misc stuff I have laying around

Mm panhard chassis mount : 10.4 lbs
Mm panhard bar...bar : 5.3 lbs
MM 4-pt brace for stock k member. 8.8 lbs

The k member itself is around 39 lbs, but the supplied brace and hardware bring it up a few more lbs. but using your numbers for the k member and stock arms it looks like the MM k member and a arms shave off 11.5 lbs. need to weigh the coil overs and Caster Camber plates when I remove them. Also need to weigh the strut tower brace.

Reference photo of the struts and strut mounts
IMG_4771.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Boostedpimp

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
damn it never weighed the cc plates neither
MM has a list of weights. For their C/C plates they claim 3lbs per side. I imagine that's pretty typical for all brands

Using their weights listed here, I've kinda calculated out what I've saved. I'll weight the parts later when I get them off, but:

Front struts, coil overs, springs, c/c plates = 38.8 LBS both sides.

So with the K member I get:
MM, k-member, a arms, struts, coil overs, springs, c/c plates = 95.8 LBS

100% Stock suspension stuff: 125.8 LBS

Difference: 30 LBS.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'll probably get a better weight savings with the heads.

E7 head: 48 LBS each based on internet threads I googled

TFS170's: 30.2lbs each

Last edited: