Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Custom cam has arrived

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Snuck off to the garage for an hour to tear this apart. Didn't find any obvious clunk suspect but I think it was the sway bar endlink. Not 100% sure. The balljoint us tight and no movement from the control arm bolts. But something up here was making a pretty loud clunk when going backwards and then forwards.

I'll check u joints...but I have maybe 1k miles on a brand new Ford racing AL driveshaft so I doubt it's that.

Stopped here because it's perfect access through the k member to the starter with nothing in the way. Next mission.

IMG_2198.JPG

Old suspension parts. Shocks are junk and the Mach 1 springs will get sold off shortly locally.

IMG_2206.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Snuck into the garage for another hour. Managed to install the pass side Caster Camber plate and the bump steer endlink. Did some general cleaning as well.

With the suspension missing, was easy to yank the starter out. All of 10 min to do so.

Original 1987 build starter complete with grime and corrosion

IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG

And yes, the underside of my engine is nasty. Can't wait to pull the engin and do a general cleaning, paint, reseal and add my go-faster parts

Stopped there for the night. Tomorrow I'll toss the new starter in and do the wiring and hopefully test it out. Aiming to have he car back on all 4 wheels by this weekend and start tweaking height and Camber/toe settings

HotFox

10 Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
SE Michigan
Mike,
So have to ask because I know your very methotocol in your parts selection. Why the PA performance starter? Surprised you did not opt for a newer mustang OEM.

My 92 is getting a bit tired but not sure if I want to rebuild or buy a replacement such as this.
Scott

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Mike,
So have to ask because I know your very methotocol in your parts selection. Why the PA performance starter? Surprised you did not opt for a newer mustang OEM.
I was going to go with this, but it's the same 1.4 kw rating as the PA starter, plus the PA starter does have a (limited) lifetime warranty, and cheaper.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-11000-b51

I tried to convince myself to go with a rockauto motorcraft starter, but I wasn't quote convinced on their reliability so I figured for $30 more i'd grab the PA starter. I also didn't want to grab a used part either from a newer stang.

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
The first starter I ever cranked over and drove to high school...was that starter. Must preserve.

Lol j/k.

Maybe
I would clean it up, mount it on something, and make a door stop out of it. I'm sure there is a better/cooler thing you could do, but I can't think of anything at the moment.

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I would clean it up, mount it on something, and make a door stop out of it. I'm sure there is a better/cooler thing you could do, but I can't think of anything at the moment.
Or just stuff it in the PA box and stick it on my shelf which one day i'll finally get the motivation to downside and offload...probably when the wife and I decide to sell the house and move and I decide I don't want to pack up and move all this mustang junk. Starter will probably end up in a scrappers pile at some point.

Actually, in all seriousness I've been doing a lot of off-loading of a lot of my hoarded parts and NOS goodies on ebay. Finally making some space, and putting some funds in the paypal account to find the purchase of the latest round of parts going on the car.

However I did just buy a 3-spoke Mercury Capri smiley face wheel on Ebay. Guess i'm not fully cured.

02 281 GT

5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
Gotta snatch up those good deals when you find them. Even if it's for a different car.

I tried to get a guy in Australia to ship me one of those Falcon "5 Litre" intake plates that'll fit the Explorer/HO upper. It would work perfect for the Mercury whose intake faces the opposite direction. Wouldn't consider it, though.

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I tried to get a guy in Australia to ship me one of those Falcon "5 Litre" intake plates that'll fit the Explorer/HO upper. It would work perfect for the Mercury whose intake faces the opposite direction. Wouldn't consider it, though.
It couldn't have been that much to ship? Or just more of a PITA with customs?

Mine still hangs on the garage wall. I have an alert on Ebay in case one comes up for sale....but I've yet to see one for sale in the US.

02 281 GT

5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
It couldn't have been that much to ship? Or just more of a PITA with customs?

Mine still hangs on the garage wall. I have an alert on Ebay in case one comes up for sale....but I've yet to see one for sale in the US.
Not sure. Guy wouldn't even consider it. Just straight up said no. Do you have a part number I could plug in for a saved search?

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Last edited:

02 281 GT

5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Or just stuff it in the PA box and stick it on my shelf which one day i'll finally get the motivation to downside and offload...probably when the wife and I decide to sell the house and move and I decide I don't want to pack up and move all this mustang junk. Starter will probably end up in a scrappers pile at some point.

Actually, in all seriousness I've been doing a lot of off-loading of a lot of my hoarded parts and NOS goodies on ebay. Finally making some space, and putting some funds in the paypal account to find the purchase of the latest round of parts going on the car.

However I did just buy a 3-spoke Mercury Capri smiley face wheel on Ebay. Guess i'm not fully cured.
Do you put any of your stuff on our classified forums?

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
There's a "1" on the bottom right, in the "91" which clearly makes it an "I" in FIRE based on the comparison test.
I think so too, but what threw me off is if you look at the 9 they are slightly different, so I wasn't 100% sure I could compare the 1s.

But I think you are right and it is FIRE which is different from traditional ford part numbering system.