Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Custom cam has arrived

95BlueStallion

Yo Adrian, I did it.
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Get that suspension wrapped up so you can tear into the engine and have it ready for Spring! Can’t remember, did you already buy a set of heads, or did you just tell Ed what you plan to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Get that suspension wrapped up so you can tear into the engine and have it ready for Spring! Can’t remember, did you already buy a set of heads, or did you just tell Ed what you plan to buy?
Already have TFS170 heads, a tmoss ported gt40 lower and a bunch of other supporting mods. Pretty much ready to tear into the engine now.

I'll prob do it late summer. The urge to drive the car is already starting to hit me.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Mike, it’s January in Massachusetts. You have time on your side before it’s good driving weather, lol.
If the car was the only project I'd say yes but I have a few house projects I need to take care of to keep the lady happy. Currently remodeling our living room and I need to rebuild our 3-season porch in the early spring. Right now I only get a couple hours a week on the car tops. I also need to sheetrock the garage, so I need the car driveable

Mar 3, 2010
I want to hear it!! So when you order from this guy Ed what all is in the full out form? You just say hey here is what I got heads, intake, rockers injectors blah blah and he grinds you something to which he feels is gonna perform best?

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I want to hear it!! So when you order from this guy Ed what all is in the full out form? You just say hey here is what I got heads, intake, rockers injectors blah blah and he grinds you something to which he feels is gonna perform best?
Pretty much.

Fill this out
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/cam-tech-form/

Then buy the custom cam, send him the form and a paragraph stating what you want. I just wanted a fun street ride that I could sit in traffic with and not have a problem...but wanted something a bit more aggressive than a stock HO cam.

We will see if this is it.

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Starter is installed. Sounds like I'm cranking over a WW2 fighter now.

I gotta do something about the rats nest of wires now. I figure I just install a distribution block and wire in a good relay for the starter circuit.

Next up, relocate the brake line on the pass side and then slap the coil over in. Then one more part to install that's in the mail and then I can put the car back on 4 wheels

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
My FTI cam came in. Looks like this is what we have for specs based on what I asked for
View attachment 618983
View attachment 618984
Ok, except for the lift and somewhat, lobe separation, the numbers are mostly Greek to me.

For the lunk-heads like me: What characteristics do you expect to achieve with this cam? What numbers in this image lead you to believe that it's what you're getting?

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Ok, except for the lift and somewhat, lobe separation, the numbers are mostly Greek to me.

For the lunk-heads like me: What characteristics do you expect to achieve with this cam? What numbers in this image lead you to believe that it's what you're getting?
I expect bald eagles to shoot out of my exhaust :D

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
5 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Wichita Falls, TX
If he lived in a state like AZ or FL, I wouldn’t have made the comment, ya jack wagon.
Don't forget the southern hemisphere!

Oh, and you're not very good at the whole name calling thing. Thought you should know.

95BlueStallion

Yo Adrian, I did it.
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Don't forget the southern hemisphere!

Oh, and you're not very good at the whole name calling thing. Thought you should know.
I don’t like to get too insulting with my name calling being I like everyone on the forum. That Noobz guy though, not sure why I still like him. ;)

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I actually neeed to upgrade the springs on the heads. There's $300 I wasn't expecting when I decided to go custom cam. Seat pressure only 125# on the springs that come on the TFS170s

These have been recommended

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/lunati-dual-valve-spring-kit-73925k2tw/

Here's what you get when you order the custom cam.
IMG_2294.JPG

Hoping PTV is ok here

Dan02gt

5 Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Greenville, NC
Your combo is about the same as mine (I have AFR 165s) so I'm curious about how that cam is going to do. I know enough about cams to be dangerous but have to ask why he chose so much lift for such a mild combo and why he ground a 110* LSA. Hopefully it will idle OK.

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Your combo is about the same as mine (I have AFR 165s) so I'm curious about how that cam is going to do. I know enough about cams to be dangerous but have to ask why he chose so much lift for such a mild combo and why he ground a 110* LSA. Hopefully it will idle OK.
You know...I was wondering the same thing however my knowledge of camshaft specs is only enough to be dangerous as well. I did emphasis it was a street driven car and wanted to retain driveability.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Even though I'll be going with a new k member at some point, I decided to pick up a 4pt brace for the stock k member

SPENt way too much on MM parts this year

IMG_2312.JPG

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

SN Certified Technician
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Car is back down on all four wheels. Coil overs are done. Suspension leveled out nicely and the front is low. I'll prob end up lifting it up a half inch or so. But I like.

Need to reposition jackstands to install the 4 pt brace. But, we have a wedding and 1 to 2 feet of snow due this weekend so I figure I leave it down and let the springs settle a bit.

IMG_2311.JPG

Next up is 4pt brace, replace the speedo cable and change trans fluid.