Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my quest to track down supplies that don't take 4 weeks to show up, I needed some flap disks.

If you use the coupon code "FREEMIX" at checkout, the disks are free and you just pay $10 for shipping. I thought that was pretty good for basically $1 a flapdisk.

No idea how many weeks it will take though.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Pass side done.

Time to start drivers side. I think I’ll be taking a different approach here. I bought @Gravydog driver new edge rail.

Quick cleanup.

1CD7268B-79DB-42A1-94DC-47E9423819A5.jpeg

CA4B5ECA-A4D9-4985-B588-07D98DB241FA.jpeg

Next step is pull my booster. I need access to inspect the rail. I think the main rail metal is too thin to weld to. Just not sure I want to take the chance but I want to drill ou the inner rear apron and inspect first. I have two plans.

Reactions: 4 users
WOrked a bit on stripping the donor rail down. Pulled off the front and rear aprons (what was left of them) the top cap and the rear firewall support. I may weld up some of the holes while I am here.

427594DF-85DB-42D9-BE80-24196165CEE0.jpeg

There is a small brace inside the firewall support that holds the rail. Interestingly enough, it has a part number on it
AA6DFB84-BF8F-41A2-9DE8-DF811D529CFD.jpeg

Need to get the booster out now. I need to remove the rear apron/top cap to see the extent of thin metal back there. Then I’ll know my plan

8FBE1B4C-C8F9-406E-A2F6-D0B261F8E440.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't logged on to this forum in probably 7 years. It's wild to see some of the same usernames still around on here. Anyways I'm just glad I'm not the only one here with an unfinished car after all these years lmao

I cant see how as.........What's the right word......"thorough"? As you are, that you are not dealing with the 50 bagillion holes in the strut towers that are in front of you.

Right under your nose.

They will be dealt with. I just want to get the other frame rail done first. Then I can chip away at the holes.

Last thing I want to do is burn through all my gas doing the little holes. However, doubt that will happen. I used 200psi to do the pass side rail, and have 1500psi left in the bottle.

Trust me... this is going away.
EFA8E496-7053-4071-B3D6-E7F7D5BCC3CA.jpeg

Booster out. The come out a lot easier than going in.

Anyway, time to get at it. Goal seems simple. Put the silver piece where the hole is. Easy enough

828327E0-40CA-453B-8F1A-A7B630FFB17D.jpeg
Is the portion of the tower on the donor piece going to give you more room for the booster/hydroboost?

They will be dealt with. I just want to get the other frame rail done first. Then I can chip away at the holes.

Last thing I want to do is burn through all my gas doing the little holes. However, doubt that will happen. I used 200psi to do the pass side rail, and have 1500psi left in the bottle.

Trust me... this is going away.
EFA8E496-7053-4071-B3D6-E7F7D5BCC3CA.jpeg
I conserved gas when I was welding by shutting it off any time I stopped welding for more than a minute. I'd hang my helmet or gloves on the bottle to ensure I didn't forget to turn it back on. I was able to weld in the toe board patches, front torque boxes, passenger rocker repair, and the full floor pan without having to get the bottle refilled.

Kudos to Mustang Parts Specialties

I sourced my hydroboost setup from then. Upon inspection, I found a crack in the receiver where the pedal rod joins the booster. If this fails, the rod comes out.

AFC0BAEF-F20F-4A5A-9644-085957116DC2.jpeg

Upon notifying them, they just sent out a new unit...MC and all. Didn’t even want me to send back the old one. Zero hassle

77AA520D-585E-4C4D-8BC6-92DA30C8E074.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
I am. Dash needs to come out to replace the evap core, so I’ll install then.
I am headed in the same direction: removing the dash to get to the evaporator core. I have already had the dash out once to replace the heater core and I am avoiding it. Soon the Georgia summer heat will get to me and I''ll take a week off to do the job sloooowly…. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Kudos to Mustang Parts Specialties

I sourced my hydroboost setup from then. Upon inspection, I found a crack in the receiver where the pedal rod joins the booster. If this fails, the rod comes out.

AFC0BAEF-F20F-4A5A-9644-085957116DC2.jpeg

Upon notifying them, they just sent out a new unit...MC and all. Didn’t even want me to send back the old one. Zero hassle

77AA520D-585E-4C4D-8BC6-92DA30C8E074.jpeg
You has a welder! JK...good deal!

I’ve put it off for years due to hassle, but at this point it’s now or never.

I really need ac in this thing
I took all mine out last year to do the core and Evap... just have to put it back in still... I'm sure you have a shop Manuel, but in case you didn't, the YouTube and interwebs have the wrong info on how to replace the evap... people are trying to use the sealer and epoxy ect. to put/hold the plastic flap/lid on the A/C box you have to cut to remove the Evap..

You are suppose to drill 2 holes and get spring clamps and attach to the spots they put in the housing just for this after it's cut open.. then you just use sealer to seal the crack.. but the spring clamps hold the lid down.. all the videos I seen people are loading it up with epoxy ect to hold the lid down/in place.

1590342354777.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.