Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - drivetrain done!!

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
Connecticut
I got the stock valve covers to fit on my RHS heads with the same Comp gold rockers by removing the baffles and grinding down
the mounting bosses.
Looks good !

• Sponsors(?)

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Ok valve covers here.

AFEEE6CE-253C-4927-9E63-251496B30B9B.jpeg

And they don’t fit. They are def taller but the baffle hits.

7589BBDF-3B06-4DE9-BC78-826C009F7E2F.jpeg

That’s with the baffle plate removed.

Looks like one of the bosses is hitting the poly lock. What to do here? @TOOLOW91 did you do anything to get yours to fit?

763171DD-578F-4915-89B0-2A01D301818B.jpeg
I wish I had an answer .
You could try and trim in there but both sets of TW heads with the same Harland sharp rockers all cleared the valve covers On mine with the blue felpro gaskets. I think they actually sit flush even without a gasket too

Reactions: Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5

A little massaging and it went right in
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Pretty sure grinding those bosses down will do the trick. Sucks to lose the baffle but I can deAl with that

Steel1

Mustang Master
Aug 18, 2017
Connecticut
Did you do anything to address oil consumption?
I used these rubber baffles and pushed them into the oil fill tube, I measured the i.d. and
got a size that fit tight. In hind sight I probably don't need them, I think I had to trim them a bit iirc.
I customized my valve covers so I have a oil fill tube on each one , I use them to vent into a catch can.
I have no oil consumption issues with this engine.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Nice. I'll likely do the same.

I'll take the grinder to the driver's side cover and remove those bosses. I'll take some playdoh to check clearances after. Since the covers are the same casting, if it works on one side, it should work on the other.

No where the hell is my grinder?

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Pretty sure grinding those bosses down will do the trick. Sucks to lose the baffle but I can deAl with that
My driver side one is a efi cover that we welded a bung right in the front corner facing the ac compressor and it has had no baffle ever . Never an issue . Passenger side is a carb one with a fitting welded in the push in breather hole . I kept that baffle . No issue

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Nice. I'll likely do the same.

I'll take the grinder to the driver's side cover and remove those bosses. I'll take some playdoh to check clearances after. Since the covers are the same casting, if it works on one side, it should work on the other.

No where the hell is my grinder?
that grinder is right over there.

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Did you do anything to address oil consumption?

I have a small oil separator installed there but your solution will likely work fine until/unless you boost.

Of the small 'Husky' oil separators that you see at Home Depot, I might get 1/3 between oil changes. I just didn't want to feed that oil back to the intake. I didn't care too awful much about the little bit of loss.

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Just a thought. I've seen then on cars running factory covers and roller rockers. I'm not a fan of the gaskets and prefer Felpro blue neoprene gaskets. The upper intake may need a spacer too to clear the valve covers.

Screenshot_20200118-223228_Chrome.jpg

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I bought aboit those too, but didn’t like the gaskets on those and the fact I’d need to put a large spacer on the intake. I’m running a 3/8” spacer now and that’s as much as I can go before I am rubbing on the hood.

If I am gonna run a spacer that big anyway, I’d prob sell these and just go with the Proform/Ford racing slant covers.

Got my grinder ready. Can’t tackle it til Monday. I’m confident these will work when I remove one problem boss

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I also have Scorpion under the stock valve covers.

Raising the intake for me is an option but a huge PITA option due to the location of the blower snout etc. It does all fit and work well.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Well, consider this....I currently have one stock OEM valve cover bolted down on the drivers side.

So I know once I grind down the offending boss, these will fit fine.

Reactions: General karthief

bird_dog0347

I really enjoyed seeing your rear end up close
5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
Thanks to you and all your research, my wallet is about $500ish lighter. I ordered the Brembo brackets from LowRanger on SVT forum as well as front ATS Brembo calipers and rear Taurus calipers from Rock Auto. Hopefully they fit my front wheels, but I think they will since I have 18's and the front already has a decently large spacer due to the offset. This will hopefully fix my pedal issue as well, since I have the GT Master Cylinder with the Cobra brakes. Now I need to figure out pads and how I want to paint them all.

Mustang5L5

Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Thanks to you and all your research, my wallet is about $500ish lighter. I ordered the Brembo brackets from LowRanger on SVT forum as well as front ATS Brembo calipers and rear Taurus calipers from Rock Auto. Hopefully they fit my front wheels, but I think they will since I have 18's and the front already has a decently large spacer due to the offset. This will hopefully fix my pedal issue as well, since I have the GT Master Cylinder with the Cobra brakes. Now I need to figure out pads and how I want to paint them all.
Let me know how it turns out. I plan on installing them as well but have a few things to do first obviously. One of these days soon I plan on painting up the calipers

bird_dog0347

I really enjoyed seeing your rear end up close
5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
Let me know how it turns out. I plan on installing them as well but have a few things to do first obviously. One of these days soon I plan on painting up the calipers
Will do, I assume it will be a few weeks to months though... I think the spacers are 3-4 weeks out from being ready to ship so I'll have to wait at least till then. And I still need to decide on pads, paint the calipers, and order some MM SS front brake hoses to match what I put on the rear when I did the IRS. That and I just got the heater core redone and have the car back on the road so I'll drive it for a bit as is.

Where did you order your brembo stickers from? Any recomendations on paint? Rattle can or brush on?