Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

BTW, heres my old core. Wasn’t leaking, and I just pressure tested it and it’s fine, but this isn’t good

C0FA6698-2319-4A1C-8490-9128A4EC2959.jpeg

FA780966-4709-4DC3-95B1-141436BF7CF6.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
So I ended up using butyl to seal the box. The two speed clips are quite effective at holding the lid closed, so the butyl is really just a seal.

B89B0253-BB11-4F6D-8054-3D11992EEF7A.jpeg

also, some SEM trim black made these look way better. Just a light coat and still flexible.
8888F733-2F6E-47D7-A4F2-1D7A31AD787E.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely have that one repaired if at all possible, no matter what the cost. There's a radiator shop here in Cheyenne, WY that does good work, maybe they can help.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like there's a few radiator restoration shops around. I'll contact a few and see how much (and if) to do a heater core. Either way, i'm not discarding this one. I even kept the original motorcraft Evap I took out after sending a borescope inside and seeing it spotless inside. Considering you can't get them, I think i'll flush it, cap the ends and squirrel it away.

Yeah, it sounds crazy to talk about contacting a resto shop to recore a heater core, but given the discontinuation of many Fox parts in the last few years, I think that's where we are headed over the next decade or so. Rebuild and restore, vs head to the local autozone.

I am late, but it would be interesting what the heater core looks like and if it holds pressure after a sonic bath. It might be better than a cheaply made aluminum one. Too bad they are such a pain to get to.

Looks like there's a few radiator restoration shops around. I'll contact a few and see how much (and if) to do a heater core. Either way, i'm not discarding this one. I even kept the original motorcraft Evap I took out after sending a borescope inside and seeing it spotless inside. Considering you can't get them, I think i'll flush it, cap the ends and squirrel it away.

Yeah, it sounds crazy to talk about contacting a resto shop to recore a heater core, but given the discontinuation of many Fox parts in the last few years, I think that's where we are headed over the next decade or so. Rebuild and restore, vs head to the local autozone.

Anyone remember the times when we were all told that there were too many of these cars made and that they would never be worth anything?

With the stuff the ultrasonic cleaners clean out of oil coolers up to tubas, I hope it works well. I would like to see an after pic and hear what cleaning solution and temp you use. Thanks.

I did round 1 with just a simple mix of water and simple green. It was pretty damn effective at removing a lot of the green gunk. What was more impressive was what was removed from the inside. I flushed the core with water until clean previously, so I thought it would be clean internally. Prior to submerging in the ultrasonic, I filled it. Left it in for 1 hour, and when I poured out the contents, it was NASTY.

I'm about to do round 2 with new solution. This time i'll also add simple green to the inside of the core as well (diluted of course) and see what it scrubs out this time.

I've settled on simple green/water mix for most of my use of the ultrasonic, which is ususally cleaning firearm parts. Works quite well. I'll take some pics after round 2

Anyone remember the times when we were all told that there were too many of these cars made and that they would never be worth anything?

That's why i keep saying parts for these cars shouldnt be thrown out. Many of the aftermarket parts available today are pure crap. There are some scenarios where i trust a 30-year old OEM part vs a new replacement.

When my coil went back on my car (Accel), instead of buying a parts store replacement, i bought a low-mileage OEM take-off. I have way more faith in that part.

• Agree
That's why i keep saying parts for these cars shouldnt be thrown out. Many of the aftermarket parts available today are pure crap. There are some scenarios where i trust a 30-year old OEM part vs a new replacement.

When my coil went back on my car (Accel), instead of buying a parts store replacement, i bought a low-mileage OEM take-off. I have way more faith in that part.
Now I’m guilty that I trashed my OEM heater core!

Status
Not open for further replies.