Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it is brass, I bet the same acid bath mix or the Us cleaner mix band repair techs use on a trumpet or tuba would get that bright as new. (It is nasty what comes out of a neglected instrument,) As the core is hidden in the dash, empty of electrolysis and whatever deposits is good enough. I hope it still holds pressure.
This place has US cleaners and different cleaning fluids. You might find one with rust inhibitors you like for other metal projects.

After. While it cleaned up, not sure I’d call it good as new

5E67507E-9276-4354-9938-00A0A89F53FB.jpeg
905D1B39-AB4B-404F-9F6A-64CFBB058664.jpeg
394E6814-3102-483B-A4D2-06E7663FE1E0.jpeg

Biggest difference was internall....soo much gunk came out after the sonic baths

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Also, this is why it’s critical to flush your EVAP if you are putting AC back on and had your old one exposed. My old eVap was in great shape, so i inspected it with a bore scope. As you can see, rust free, but lots of musc crud that would clog an orifice tube

I’ll flush this, then plug the ends and squirrel it away:

95AF113B-C9FF-44C7-ACA2-9F6E34375684.jpeg

5185BC2F-2ABA-47B9-A4E5-4C480A516740.jpeg

A76F4328-4A0B-4A42-BF86-01340D50E2CB.jpeg

Ok, back to finishing up my engine bay so I can put this car back together

Last edited:
Coolant passages are always nasty. I hate the stuff. I ran straight water for a long time just to keep the antifreeze out of there. Everyone always claimed that would create rust etc etc. Never did for the 20 years i ran it like that. And any time i opened it up it was way cleaner than the crap that's in there now.

Also, this is why it’s critical to flush your EVAP if you are putting AC back on and had your old one exposed. My old eVap was in great shape, so i inspected it with a bore scope. As you can see, rust free, but lots of musc crud that would clog an orifice tube

I’ll flush this, then plug the ends and squirrel it away:

95AF113B-C9FF-44C7-ACA2-9F6E34375684.jpeg

5185BC2F-2ABA-47B9-A4E5-4C480A516740.jpeg

A76F4328-4A0B-4A42-BF86-01340D50E2CB.jpeg

Ok, back to finishing up my engine bay so I can put this car back together
great stuff here

Moving on..

just realized I never did anything with this. Guess I should give it a shot and install it.

my only hesitation is if I should match the stitching to the revaros, black with red thread. I’ve been debating redoing all my leather to match, or not because it might be a bit much

A7C4ACDB-69B5-4635-8ACC-AD7F632DA1F1.jpeg

edit: to match this
055FB2AD-3C9D-48CC-AA0B-2928218E3B0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Moving on..

just realized I never did anything with this. Guess I should give it a shot and install it.

my only hesitation is if I should match the stitching to the revaros, black with red thread. I’ve been debating redoing all my leather to match, or not because it might be a bit much

A7C4ACDB-69B5-4635-8ACC-AD7F632DA1F1.jpeg
If you’re going to redo the stitching, that seems like a pretty easy piece to start with, with 2 straight runs. Just sayin;)

I don't have the equipment to do it.

I'd just repurchase all the panels from Redlinegoods.com again. Just priced it out. $250 for everything with the red stitch. I just don't know if it's too much.

I'm gonna sit on this a while. I'm starting to get way too much going on here. Lets take a step back and focus back on the engine bay. I want to get that engine in by winter. When it's snowing out, I can do all this stuff.

I don't have the equipment to do it.

I'd just repurchase all the panels from Redlinegoods.com again. Just priced it out. $250 for everything with the red stitch. I just don't know if it's too much.

I'm gonna sit on this a while. I'm starting to get way too much going on here. Lets take a step back and focus back on the engine bay. I want to get that engine in by winter. When it's snowing out, I can do all this stuff.
With my red car, and the black/red theme I’m trying to accomplish, I will forget I just looked at that site before it costs me money! Lol.
That’s for another day on my project as well!

IMO, a simple stitch in the same color is all it will take to tie them together and, "No". I don't think you need to do [every] piece. Just accent the seat color and bring them into the interior.

On a side note:

There are plenty of vendor on both Amazon and Ebay that do custom leather work. Says so, right in their ads. Give one or more a jingle. It's not tough to send them an image of the stitch you want, the part, and the leather (if that were what was required).

With some persuasion, you can pry the guys out from the middle channel.
C5859557-877A-4E41-AA68-09D71A45D79F.jpeg

the net stretches over the top and clips on a “mesh holder” the keeps it taught. Looks like one side is broken, which is why it loosened up and came undone. I’ll need to figure out a way to repair it, or source one of these rare parts. These parts are 30 years old, and scarce here in the US.
CEDD3A11-0296-4022-A3C3-51288796E7CC.jpeg
E64EC431-F873-4C33-B15B-A72C9A4154AD.jpeg

And how these are covered. The material stretches over the outside and is stapled onto the internal hard foam

ED363F4D-68B4-44DD-97AE-5602E49F5C34.jpeg

3D printer in either Nylon reinforced PLA or ABS.

That's not a bad idea at all. I think the original is nylon

Gonna be a pain to model this up in SW however.

Gonna be a few more years before I can convince the boss to let me buy a metal 3D printer for the office.

That's not a bad idea at all. I think the original is nylon

Gonna be a pain to model this up in SW however.

Gonna be a few more years before I can convince the boss to let me buy a metal 3D printer for the office.

Some of these places will model it for you if send them the part. I had forgotten that you already have some experience in that. Bonus!

Some of these places will model it for you if send them the part. I had forgotten that you already have some experience in that. Bonus!

I can probably give it to one of my Co-op students and let them model it. :)

Nah, i'll do it during one of my slow days at work next week. It's not really a complex part, it's just got a lot of curves that I need to measure correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.