Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

So since I’m cleaning things up, what to do about this ugly thing?

I’d really like to buy a nice aftermarket set of fuel rails mostly for safety. The 30 year old crossover hoses concern me...especially with e10 fuel. Every other line in the car has been replaced, other than these two rubber lines here. I can probably change them out, but overall the entire fuel rail is rusted over and ugly anyway.

What are out there for aftermarket options. I've seen adapters to connect to the two flex connections down by the pass wheel, so what will work with an explorer style intake?

20548106-6364-48DE-9F3B-8C565C347766.jpeg

19453807-93C4-4DF8-8702-1CEA88E7DAE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of options out there, if you want to run a stock type regulator then the BBK rails work... I would never use them without modifying them however. My main point of contention is the press in cap used on one end of the rail, I do not use it. I tap that hole, counter sink and use a proper orb fitting.

Most rails are not setup for the stock injector angle so choose carefully.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
i have bbk rails but modified them like he said above. took out the cap drilled and tapped for a 3/8 npt plug. the ends all have 3/8 to 6an adapters and i have a kirban regulator like you do. the fitting below the regulator i have a 1/4 npt to 6an fitting as well. for a stock angled injector type config id say its the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Liking the BBK stuff. However, I think i'll have to modify it anyway. I'll tap the hole like suggested, but i'll likely change out to AN fittings and stainless line like so

bbk-5010_9407bb2a.jpg

I think this kit will adapt to the hoses down in the pass side lower area that connect to the main body lines

Actually, I think this kit has the adapters. I just wonder if the length is appropriate or if i'm better off making my own lines. I'd prefer black AN fittings

those russell stainless are to adapt to your factory fuel rails,and connect to the factory lines. the length wouldn't be right. better off making your own. here's how i did that plug on my 351 in the works.
image0 (1).jpeg
also, been following your ATS caliper install and decided to do it myself. came out decent. a little milling ,some red paint and a sticker
image1 (1).jpeg

Hey Mustang5l5, have a question for you.... If I remember right, your running a MS2 or MS3 right? Which doesn't support any emission stuff, including the EGR. I seen in your posts that you had to "install nipple for EGR" for the lower intake. Are you still just going to connect the coolant lines to the EGR plate?

I ask, because I just recently decided to go the PimpXS route, but I have already drilled and tapped the explorer lower intake and installed the EGR coolant nipple, and when i bought my Accufab 65mm TB I got the one with the EGR plate, and I also bought a new heater coolant tube, which of course I got the stock type with the EGR coolant nipple. so now I don't want to have to spend the money for the Accufab non-egr plate and just use what I have. but I know I could install a plug in the lower, but the nipple in the heater tube would have to be capped/plugged... and I don't want to do a hose with a bolt and hose clamp hack.

I'm going to run MS3x eventually. The car is still an A9L. I want to get it up and running right on that before converting over.

I am eliminating the air tube setup, and will eliminate the EGR setup when I go MS. I am installing everything as 100% functional right now, including the coolant tubes to the EGR spacer as I am going for more of an OEM style look with my painted explorer intake. So even when I delete the EGR, I may still leave the coolant tubes hooked up and running.

I actually plan to incorporate the charcoal canister into the MS system. At least i'd like to try. I think I have an understanding of the logic, and can program an output for it.

EGR however will go bye bye.

you have enough I/O that we could work out a way to incorporate both... it will takes some internal loop functions ect but i think it could be done

But what's there to gain by keeping the EGR?

If I had to take a sniffer test I would be more inclined, but since I don't I don't mind eliminating the function.

As for the charcoal canister, I don't want gas fumes venting under a car cover in a garage, I i'd rather keep the charcoal canister and purge solenoid intact.

Ok, I am leaving my purge in place as well. that is an easy one to add in, it will be a loop function and then a table switch depending on how much it enrichens the mixture... heck the ego correction may be able to deal with it under steady load. The EGR would take space in the cylinder and reduce exhaust temps, this allows for an even leaner mixture but is a pain to implement

IMHO, nothing. I daily drove mine with deleted EGR for 5 years. Saw no decrease in gas mileage.

Also, in my opinion, by far the biggest benefit is no longer having the intake track full of carbon and soot.

That's what I'm thinking... I had to do a alot of cleaning to get all that crap out of my Explorer upper... I had to use a lot of engine de-greaser, and even the pressure washer... and it still wasn't getting that stuff all out... ended up using couple cans of oven cleaner (I know its not good for alum), but I made sure to rinse it really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.