Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at both Kirban models on-line... since the base unbolts from the top to replace the diaphragm, it looks like, if you can just get the 2 bolt base of the 5018 model you could just bolt it to the upper body... I sent a e-mail to the company to confirm that and if there was a way to buy/order that bottom/base part from them...

I noticed that too. Let me know what they say because if they do allow you to buy just the bottom part, I would get one as well

• Sponsors (?)

One more piece installed.

Slowly progressing but the holidays are the main reason

968C25C2-B7AB-4AB4-B9D8-4002A0C83701.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Looking good, I actually really like that water pump... I used braided line for all my heater connections and I could have used an AN fitting vs using a clamp. I originally purchased a new heater tube, but with the high ram intake it does not fit like it should.

I love the clean execution of this build.

I was thinking of dong braided line too, but in the end decide i'll just stick with Motorcraft hoses and run nice new stainless clamps. I guess I just did't want to overthink that part of the build or go beyond what works well and reliably.

I also debated heat shrink clamps as well. Basically slide it over where the hose clamp would go and apply heat to shrink it tight. Might look pretty clean vs a clamp...but I know a clamp will hold fast. The heat shrink...I have no experience.

A little more details cleaned up and installed.

Quick hit on the polishing wheel for the oil pressure extension, and a new Motorcraft oil pressure sensor. Before install, I hit them both with high temp clear coat hoping to retain their "new" look as long as possible.

FAD342D2-0CEA-4D0A-AC14-23F2773C952C.jpeg

Just for reference....this is what I started with

C7463959-6285-4798-98AC-6D604E2AECC0.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you plan on monitoring oil pressure with the MS3? if so i can link you a sensor that works well and is cheap (18$). you can place it on the passenger side of the block [i think].

Not so concerned with oil pressure. It's something I feel the stock gauge (idiot light) is good enough to handle for my needs. I had a mechanical guage on there for years, so I got to know what the stock guage read and what that translated to on the real guage. I actually trust the pressure on this motor, so not something i'm overly concerned with.

I do want to log fuel pressure though.

Not so concerned with oil pressure. It's something I feel the stock gauge (idiot light) is good enough to handle for my needs. I had a mechanical guage on there for years, so I got to know what the stock guage read and what that translated to on the real guage. I actually trust the pressure on this motor, so not something i'm overly concerned with.

I do want to log fuel pressure though.
Ok i like to log them... MS3 has oil pressure safeties ect.. fuel pressure uses the same sensor. You want to pick one with the pressure that is most often used in the middle of the range where the sensor is most accurate. I use an 80psi sensor for oil and fuel pressure.

simply amazon or ebay 80psi transducer and pick the one you like the most, you can also go the oem route but the mounting options are more limited.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Ok i like to log them... MS3 has oil pressure safeties ect.. fuel pressure uses the same sensor. You want to pick one with the pressure that is most often used in the middle of the range where the sensor is most accurate. I use an 80psi sensor for oil and fuel pressure.

simply amazon or ebay 80psi transducer and pick the one you like the most, you can also go the oem route but the mounting options are more limited.
hey A91, QQ, does the PimpXS support monitoring the FP as well? (I see there is a optional pigtail harness that plugs into the expansion port of the pimp).

yes, you can use the wiring for the factory map sensor to get the 5vref and signal ground for the transducer, then simply remove the map pin at the 60 pin connector and move it over to the options port.. [you will need to splice if done this way] I suggest a simple wire tap so it can be undone if you choose this method

The Gates powergrip heat shrink clamps work flawlessly, I have done all my hoses with them and had zero leaks. They have been used on big rigs for a couple decades as well, there is actually a Gates video on youtube explaining the science behind them. If you do end up using them a creme brulee torch works best for shrinking them and don't bother with the removal tool just use an old(or cheap) soldering iron to cut the clamp in half.

Just fyi....I bought one of those cheap oil pressure gauge install kits at Advance auto. One of the brass fittings fit the rail Schrader valve and that pressure sensor perfectly.

Also, I use wire heat shrink tubes slid onto stainless clamps. Let's those bright clamps blend in. I get mine in an assorted box from Harbor Frieght cheap. Make sure it doesn't cover the notches that go into the screw part. Take the tube and wrap it around the hose and that lets you know how long a piece you need. Just subtract about 1/2 inch for the screw part. Slide the clamp in it and hit it with a lighter. I hate hose clamps.

I'd return it as well. Will Explorer injector rails work? We don't have rust issues here and I could try to find you one at the local yard. I could also see if I could find you a Fox body one.

Status
Not open for further replies.