Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I decided I hadn't spent any money in a while, so I purchased a personalized statistic report from Marti to see how common (or uncommon) my car is.

1988 wasn't a low-number year for the Mustang with 211,000 made, so I doubt i'll get it back showing it's a 1 of 2 made. But i'm curious.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't think the factory used different paint in the engine compartment on these cars.

Not sure if you're doing this in a attached garage or not , if so be careful of fumes getting in the house.
I sprayed only once in my two car attached garage , both doors open, fan blowing fumes out and plastic
sealing off entrance door.
Somehow it still stunk the first floor of my house up, good thing the wife and kids were out for the day.
If I do any painting now it's either outside (weather permitting ) or at my buddies house who has a makeshift paint booth.

So mustamg engine bays are typically fully painted right? They are also painted in a paint that can typically withstand solvents right?

I did an acetone wipe of the firewall and found the black paint easily came off without much effort.
BA0750F7-C147-4562-A709-8F6F0F1BFAC0.jpeg
9DAA2A11-2459-44BD-8803-202958746652.jpeg
47409673-570A-42CA-A611-E976706988E5.jpeg

Bottom left, you'll see some black paint that remains, as well as into the trans tunnel. That's the POR I spread about 15 years ago. Glad to see it doesn't come off easiy. I may actyally add some more POR-15 in that lower area while i'm here.

But, it's interesting to see that below the firewall seam, the black paint came off easily and down to the E_coat. Above the seam, it remains. Wasnt the only spot i was able to wipe the black paint off. Rad support and aprons also had paint wipe off, although not as much. I couldn't go crazy though as i obviously needed to stay away from the body filler. I found out the hard way that acetone softens that right up. Oops. ALl fixed now.

On the plus side, i'm pleasantly surprised to see all the other sheet metal is in really good shape. Well..other than the frame rails. But no rust around the cowl and base of windshield as well which was a relief.

With all these fumes and solvents and paints, i ended up buying a supply air respirator. Pump goes outside in the fresh air, and then a 20-25'hose feeds fresh air to my mask. The smells of the filler and acetone give me headaches. When i'm done, i'll sell the respirator off.
Even now Mike, vehicle manufacturers don’t use much material in engine bays and some jambs on vehicles. I can imagine how little they used back then.

I wouldn't think the factory used different paint in the engine compartment on these cars.

Not sure if you're doing this in a attached garage or not , if so be careful of fumes getting in the house.
I sprayed only once in my two car attached garage , both doors open, fan blowing fumes out and plastic
sealing off entrance door.
Somehow it still stunk the first floor of my house up, good thing the wife and kids were out for the day.
If I do any painting now it's either outside (weather permitting ) or at my buddies house who has a makeshift paint booth.

I can open the front of the garage up and the back door and get some airflow through. I was planning on doing it on a day when nobody was home.

I also have a whole house fan. 10 mins with that will really change the air out several times iver.

But yeah fumes are a concern which is why I’m still on the fence about using 2k paints, especially now when it’s colder so windows on the house are remaining closed. My families safety is more of a concern than a pretty engine bay.

Its an attached garage with a room over the garage. I’ve been able to do regular spray paint and acetone in there without stinking out the house. When I’m done I run fans and turn on the whole house fan. Youd never know I did anything

Last edited:
I can open the front of the garage up and the back door and get some airflow through. I was planning on doing it on a day when nobody was home.

I also have a whole house fan. 10 mins with that will really change the air out several times iver.

But yeah fumes are a concern which is why I’m still on the fence about using 2k paints, especially now when it’s colder so windows on the house are remaining closed. My families safety is more of a concern than a pretty engine bay.

Its an attached garage with a room over the garage. I’ve been able to do regular spray paint and acetone in there without stinking out the house. When I’m done I run fans and turn on the whole house fan. Youd never know I did anything
Sounds like you might be ok , a large whole house fan can really move some air especially in a ranch style home.
Just wanted to mention it because I was surprised by the fumes, this was 2k paint on front and rear bumpers.

Sorry to be so slow on responding to the engine bay paint posts Mike.

It’s just base coat in the engine bay, the upper area is more resistant because of clear overspray when the car is painted.

I assume you’ll be able to temperature control the area when you spray your 2k paints? It takes 60* metal temperature for the paint to catalyze. So, about 65* ambient temperature.

I assume you’ll be able to temperature control the area when you spray your 2k paints? It takes 60* metal temperature for the paint to catalyze. So, about 65* ambient temperature.

It's something i'm keeping my eye on. Ambient temps are dropping. I might be able to heat the garage, but i'll need to open doors for ventilation. I have another week, maybe 2 before outside daytime temps start consistently falling below 60. I'm up against the clock, and still have some hours of prep ahead of me. Hoping I can wrap it up this weekend and start wiping down the bay and getting ready to spray

Trying to get this done ASAP, and then maybe take a few weeks off from the car and let it all cure before i start putting things back on

Reactions: 2 users
It's something i'm keeping my eye on. Ambient temps are dropping. I might be able to heat the garage, but i'll need to open doors for ventilation. I have another week, maybe 2 before outside daytime temps start consistently falling below 60. I'm up against the clock, and still have some hours of prep ahead of me. Hoping I can wrap it up this weekend and start wiping down the bay and getting ready to spray

Trying to get this done ASAP, and then maybe take a few weeks off from the car and let it all cure before i start putting things back on
Bring some of that weather here! Still stuck in the mid-high 80s in FLA

Swapped the headers. I’m gonna get some stage 8 locking bolts, so I didn’t snug these up.

32AB2B7B-ABD2-4C1D-9650-CFBFBBE59EA8.jpeg
C439754C-D8F7-4082-BCED-101A2F2618AE.jpeg

306A3FA4-FEBC-463B-B044-64029E2D12D7.jpeg

Hopefully I don’t need to dimple these to clear the mm steering shaft like I did the bbk
I replaced the original Ford exhaust manifolds on my ‘86 with Bassani equal-length ceramic-coated shorties. Every tube of the old Ford exhaust manifolds had holes in them.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I by no means no what I’m doing when it comes to painting. Never did much of it, but I’m willing to try things out. This is probably the most prep and attention to detail I’ve ever spent painting anything.

needless to say, after hours of prep, buying Supplies and odds and ends, hours of research, and sanding and sanding filler, I found myself against the clock in terms of weather. Last weekend of 70s really. About to get cold.

so I said screw it. I may not have done every step properly, but dammit I did it the best that I could manage with what I had available. Not a show car by any means, but so far so good.

sitting in primer tonight, and the partial engine bay hole filling didn’t turn out too bad. Not perfect, but the engine and related hardware should hide most of what isn’t completely smooth. I’m happy so far.

14D2A253-4729-455F-9F89-BB49AE5BB566.jpeg
1CC2C7B5-4D1C-4D73-9BFD-211055BFD2CA.jpeg
E0243DA6-2E3A-4601-924A-BEBCC8CB27F6.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.