Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chipped away at the bad side a bit. Drilled the spot welds out and took the top plate off.

56DFB5EB-3F37-4EEC-BB7C-25DEB573BF31.jpeg

Going to cut the bottom bar out, but not until I have my replacement parts ready to go. Need to clean up the surface rust and see what else I need to cut out. All the rot is gone now, this is all surface rust. I believe I need to cut more of the strut tower out, but I want to mark my cuts when I have the repoacement panels in hand and can mark it.

4469C824-34EE-4BCC-A573-1D5F0A4AAB2B.jpeg

I have not ordered my replacement panels yet. Been too damn busy

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hows the paint work on the 98 Cobras held up? They look great in these pics, but have they been used much since refinished?

I'm on the fence if I want to sand/refinish my set myself, or just have the powder coated.

Those aren’t the ones I refinished. I never mounted tires on those.

When I was searching for two more rims, I ended up buying an entire set. These are two of those wheels from the set I bought

I have 6 total. I was going to take one, have it narrowed to 5” or 6” or so, mount a tire, and use that as my spare to clear my upcoming brembos. I want it to sit low in the hatch and a full size rim sticks up too much

Got my Scott Rod panels in. Spoke to Scott’s wife when I ordered. Nice lady.

Got both sides but I think I can patch the pass side with some stock I have.

Now I can see what I need to cut out and then what I need to clean up

BE7AAD27-F975-42DC-AB7A-9B390B4684F3.jpeg

341266F2-179C-4F00-A028-FCF77F91BEE9.jpeg

Reactions: 10 users
Welp, borrowing a welded turned into buying a welder. Still researching which unit to buy. Would like a MIG/flux combo unit.

In the meantime, will continue cutting up my rail to accept the new panels. I also need to pull the booster out for access

Last edited:
I wired a subpanel in the garage with a 240v outlet and new 20a 120 receptacles. Just need to run the feeders but my garage/house layout is tricky and I need to get a wire across 40 feet of finished basement somehow. I’ll get it done some point soon.

Guess now I have some motivation. I’ll order up some wire and get it done

Last edited:
Mig machines will weld flux wire or solid wire.. Buy a mig that comes with a regulator for the shielding gas (argon).

Do not want to use or buy/rent a cylinder for the gas, no worry. Just buy the flux wire and have at it. Flux wire burns hotter, lots of splatter. The solid wire & shielding gas, cleaner less splatter welds.

Key to welding clean metal shinny, last step, wipe the area to be welded with acetone, removing all the grease or oil.

New to welding, take some scrap, the same gage to be welded. Run some beads, adjust the heat & wire feed.

Just a thought, have a 30ft extension cord 220, off the work bench. Really gives a welder some legs.
pep

I wired a subpanel in the garage with a 240v outlet and new 20a 120 receptacles. Just need to run the feeders but my garage/house layout is tricky and I need to get a wire across 40 feet of finished basement somehow. I’ll get it done some point soon.

Guess now I have some motivation. I’ll order up some wire and get it done
Yeah unless it's a drop ceiling that will be fun, you could always drill out and pipe it outside to garage
and back in to sub.

I bought this one last year when my Miller 140 bit the dust.

Haven’t use flux core or had it on 240 yet. This welds thinner sheet metal and exhaust tubing way better than the Miller. In fact, welding exhaust was fairly easy. The Miller would either blow through or spatter. I could actually get a bead going with this welder.

70AA890C-24D0-4C6C-850B-D44E927A50EB.jpeg

Whatever you choose, I highly recommend inverter technology. Way better than transformer.

I bought this one last year when my Miller 140 bit the dust.

Haven’t use flux core or had it on 240 yet. This welds thinner sheet metal and exhaust tubing way better than the Miller. In fact, welding exhaust was fairly easy. The Miller would either blow through or spatter. I could actually get a bead going with this welder.

70AA890C-24D0-4C6C-850B-D44E927A50EB.jpeg

Whatever you choose, I highly recommend inverter technology. Way better than transformer.

Oh ! so it is the machines fault, blowing holes in thin metal. Has nothing to do with a welder, unable to figure out how to compensate or adjust the machine.

Damn I never knew that, I'll s h I t can the millers I have....

Grab me some of that professional harbor freight quality .. thanks for the tip

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oh ! so it is the machines fault, blowing holes in thin metal. Has nothing to do with a welder, unable to figure out how to compensate or adjust the machine.

Damn I never knew that, I'll s h I t can the millers I have....

Grab me some of that professional harbor freight quality .. thanks for the tip

I never said or implied that I was an expert welder. I’m far from it. He wanted a recommendation. And that’s what I gave.

The facts are the facts, the $550 dollar Harbor Freight welder (120 or 240V) is leaps and bounds better than the $800 dollar entry level Millermatic 140 (120V). Throw in the fact that it failed after 7 years and less than one bottle of gas.

Haven’t purchased a welder yet. Still doing my research. I might be overthinking it but that’s just how I am.

Spent the day cutting out small bits of metal to allow me to patch in the Scott rod panels. I burned my spot weld cuter tip out so new one in the mail had to stop. Slow progress I know. Really getting the itch to get this motor in but I need to slow down and do this right. I’m just slowly cutting and figuring how I’m going to stitch these panels together to make it strong.

I test fit the k member. Since the oem k member was bent, I wanted to see if any of the mount points were bent. They weren’t

B5731042-636A-40F7-80A3-54311BEA2F56.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, found a small tear in the sheet metal under the fender. Unsure if this formed from flex, or was a defect when the panel was originally made. I’ll repair it

684AA9E7-8756-44C0-92B4-120E3C76B287.jpeg

Where it is so you have an idea
479B12B3-C128-4C5C-A344-6075ADF3B387.jpeg

Last edited:
The facts are the facts, the $550 dollar Harbor Freight welder (120 or 240V) is leaps and bounds better than the $800 dollar entry level Millermatic 140 (120V). Throw in the fact that it failed after 7 years and less than one bottle of gas.
[

7 years, & 1 bottle of gas that's some funny stuff. No worry I find the words Harbor freight and professional an oxymoron is all. Just my sense of humor, no flame meant .

Cheers,

This is what I'm using, haven't tried the flux core yet, for what you're doing you will want to get a bottle. It's made in Troy, Ohio and comes with a 5 year warranty. I have a lot of Harbor freight stuff, but couldn't bring myself to buy a welder there.

Status
Not open for further replies.