Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious ( primarily for my own reasons with my car).
One one hand, I look in and see what looks like a restoration one time, and the next time I see the typical high end braking and suspension upgrades, and then there's the " track only" stuff like the k member/strut tower braces, and pan hard/torque arm stuff..

What is you plan for this car?

Just overall bad ass street car.

Gotta remember that this car IS the actual car I drove in HS and college. I was too busy trying to just afford the car to really do much too it. Instead I read forums like this drooling over guys dropping big bucks on nice mods and doing stuff I only dreamed about. I had a k&n and flows and that's about it. Thinks like Aluminum cylinder head or anything from maximum motorsports were just a dream at that point.

Now, I can finally have the means to do the stuff I wish i could have done 20 years ago....so I'm doing some of it. Trying to strike a nice balance of resto, driver, race and show type mods. Since I did daily drive the car as a teen, it's not perfect. I've also been spending time undoing some mistakes and hacks. Lesson learned.

I've alluded to in a few posts that I do have an end game with this car. K member and motor work and I'm wrapping up. Not sure what I'll do next as it may not even be a fox body or even a mustang. But this car will sit in the garage and get driven on my favorite route every Sat/Sun AM and I will smile the entire time I'm doing it....even if that Panhard bar never really gets fully tested out.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So...what would you say if I said I might try swapping the MoMo wheel out for this?

It's absolutely mint and I would put a decal over the cat logo like a running pony emblem like in the newer cars.

I like the Momo...but I actually might like this more.

IMG_2353.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Actually those center sections come out fairly easily. Glad I took the gamble when I bought this horn pad on eBay

Ford center comes out too fairly easily. Quick clean and maybe a paint on the center and back together it goes

I may fabricate an annodixe a custom center out of AL down the road

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Gonna try this for a bit. Ultimately I need to drive it. Not selling the Momo wheel just yet, as it could very well go back on.

I'll install the Ford horn center as soon as I finish redoing the center peice.

So for now this is just an experiment to see if I really like it.
IMG_2730.JPG

Gonna hang onto this for now
IMG_2729.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Finally got some marine heat shrink for the speedo cable end, so tonight I installed that. I do this to seal off the crimp as I've had issues with trans fluid leaking here.

Anyway did this and attempted to install cable in VSS.

Long story short the inner spring cable was about 1/8" too long. It caused the cable to bind and be tough to spin. I had to trim some off the end to get it to spin smoothly without much resistance. Wasted 30 mins of my life on this cheap LMR cable. Time to hunt down and NOS piece.

I might send them an email on this.

Anyway, haven't done much. Put ford center on....I dunno. I might go back to Momo now
IMG_2779.JPG

So I tried out some LED bulbs. I just did the reverse and brake lights for now.

IMG_2800.JPG

Not impressed. Brake lights were definitely dimmer. The reverse lights were as well, but ultimately not as critical as the reverse lights would be. I took the brake light bulbs out and left the reverse lights.
IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

I may do the parking lights up front next. Not as critical to be as bright. I just need a solid state flasher relay first.

Correct. They aren't bright enough. The stock bulbs are brighter. Much more noticeable in a dark garage vs what the pics can show.

I've got a different set of brake bulbs on order. I'll try this again

Or just stuff it in the PA box and stick it on my shelf which one day i'll finally get the motivation to downside and offload...probably when the wife and I decide to sell the house and move and I decide I don't want to pack up and move all this mustang junk. Starter will probably end up in a scrappers pile at some point.

Actually, in all seriousness I've been doing a lot of off-loading of a lot of my hoarded parts and NOS goodies on ebay. Finally making some space, and putting some funds in the paypal account to find the purchase of the latest round of parts going on the car.

However I did just buy a 3-spoke Mercury Capri smiley face wheel on Ebay. Guess i'm not fully cured.

Not sure. Guy wouldn't even consider it. Just straight up said no. Do you have a part number I could plug in for a saved search?

Are you still looking for the 5 litre V8 emblem/plate? I have one...I am not a car person, but I was trying to ID it and came up on this site and I read someone here needs one and I see there is the one on Ebay for $100. I will sell it for $50 total which includes shipping to continental US address. I sell on etsy and I can post it there for it to be bought if interested. I included photos and also there is a bakelite gear shift knob I am looking to sell separate from that. Looking for $30 on that.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.