Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, got it modeled up. Going to print one in PLA for now just to check dimensions. Once i'm sure of the fit, i'll send the model off to have made in something more durable.

1598888113457.png

Reactions: 7 users
Too complex. No need to reinvent the wheel. I just need to replace the broken netting support and find some netting material that matches.

There's a $100 min to print the parts. I'll use the printer i have a work to make a few prototypes just to check fit, and then order $100 worth of them in better material. I'll sell off the extras.

Reactions: 2 users
What will you use for a final product? ABS, PETG ...?

To be determined. A few of my coworkers have 3D printers that can run "better" materials so i'll see what they can do and see if they can print it out for me before I look at sending it off to be printed. Glass reinforced nylon would prob be strong enough, but that's a $60 print and I need $100 min.

To be honest, this PLA part is plenty strong. It might do the trick, but is a little rough looking. I was debating just ABS or Nylon if i send it out as it's relatively cheap ($30 per print) so i can have a few made.

I just need to run a few test parts in PLA to make sure the fit is where it needs to be. I didn't show too many details on this, but where this part slides up on the metal rod, it sits into a small detent on the metal. I just need to make sure it's sitting correctly here before i print the "good" version.

Next mission is to find some 12mm (or 1/2") nylon mesh netting. Harder than you think

Check stripper stores for mesh outfits you can cut up and use. Bonus points for getting neon green.

Believe it or not, that was a suggestion from a few people on the Recaro boards as to where they sourced replacement netting. Told me to look on ebay for bondage clothing, or other suggesting clothing. Apparently it's about the right size/thickness

Gonna love ordering that to my house...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

extremely comfortable. I was in love with them as soon as butt met cushion. They hold you in place and sit quite low. Only downside is getting your wallet out is damn near impossible.

the standard headrest is more comfortable. The halo headrest is more for looks.

PLA will degrade overtime, especially from UV exposure. I need to print it from a more robust material that will stand up over timr.

Not to pipe in at the end, but you are not going to want to use PLA for the final product as it will not withstand the heat of a summer day. The "glass" point of that material is too low and you will get a warped piece over time. You should print it in PETG, ASA, or ABS for the right amount of strength and heat resistance.

So, in my searching the new for new mesh material, I stumbled across a vendor selling coverings for my model Recaro seats. I noticed they had the halo headrest coverings.

So I sent them an email and asked if they would sell me JUST the coverings for the headrests. I figure I give it a shot as I recovered the seats myself, and have the headrests apart anyway.

So, a whopping $46 later i'm 2-3 weeks out from a pair of black vinyl w/red thread coverings for the headrests. We'll give it shot right?

Just a warning, lots of bad reviews on this company (shipping the wrong stuff, or templates used being incorrect) so don't hold your breath this solution will work. Only reason I went for it is because it cost me $46. As a point of reference, they would charge me $350 for an entire front set of leather seat covers for my Recaros in whatever color scheme/threading I want. That's cheap...like too cheap.

And yes...i'm trying to get back in the garage to finish the engine bay. School just started so house is in a bit of chaos for the first week until we get back into a routine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.