Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Recaros....again

Jul 7, 2005
You now have me thinking about building my next MS system...Hummmm

I was just planning on get the Stinger one but I really want to redo my engine harness and add a relay box for rewiring the headlights, foglights, starter, etc. Now you have me thinking

• Sponsors (?)

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Wait....just last Thursday, you said that MS was on hold till you go distributorless...

Did you go distributorless?
That was the original plan.

But then I was pricing out a MAF and chip and looking at dyno time (which i'd need a trailer rental for) and decided I should put that investment towards the MS instead. Buy once, cry once. In actuality, after selling my A9L (I have 2) I could probably come out ahead.

So, NEW plan

Get MS installed and running on my stock engine by Aug. Just need the car drivable and safe to prove out the MS install.

Pull motor in Aug/Sept, do my H/C/I install along with either EDIS or Coil near Plug. Haven't decided which yet. Get in car and really spend the time dialing it in. Use fan control and also try and keep tad/tab and canister purge functional.

I know an MS3x is prob overkill for my combo, but I have an ulterior motive. I said before I was eyeing a new project, which will be a motor swap car. I'll use an MS on that car, so I want to start learning the platform

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
So as usual, I had my eye out for Recaro parts. Picked up an entire set of gray inserts. Nice foam too.

The color is more true light gray than my current set.

So next I'll take the covers off and toss them through the wash cycle a few times to get some of the dirt out.

IMG_3400.JPG

You can see my current covers are gray, but compared to these they look almost purple
IMG_3403.JPG

Added bonus was door material. I wanted to try and recover my door inserts with these, but don't think I have a straight shot to get a clean piece. I might have to improvise

IMG_3399.JPG

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Simple green, a stiff scrub brush and then a cycle through the wash really cleaned up the door panels. Nice and light colored compared to the inserts now.

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

Now the challenge is to figure out how to recover these in this material. I'll need to get creative.
M
IMG_3440.JPG

Up next, I'll remove the covers from the seat foam and do the same cleaning to them.

IMG_3439.JPG

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Before
IMG_3439.JPG

And after stripping the covers off, hand scrubbing and two washing machine cycles. Temporarily stretched over the foams while they dry.

IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG

In the car, these will be a nicer material for the inserts.

IMG_3521.JPG

Need to order the proper stapler for upholstery that spreads the staples outward. Then I can install these tighter on the foam and secure. They did develop some small waves in the material from the washing, so i'll need to stretch and smooth those out.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
So today I pulled the car out of the garage and began tweaking some of the suspension adjustments. Height, Caster, Camber and worked on toe a tad. Took car for a ride but quickly turned around when I remembered all 20 lugs were just snugged and not torqued.

But from my brief ride...coil overs ride waaaaay nicer!

Anyway, pulled out the drivers Recaro and set out to replace the insets with the new gray cloth inserts. They really cleaned up well.

Discovered that Amazon sent me the wrong staples to secure the covers to the foam, so I had to stop. Need to steam out some of the wrinkles and then secure to the foam.

Some sneak peaks. Keep in mind these are loosely mocked up. Should tighten up nicely

Comparison of the dark gray vs light

IMG_3606.JPG

Before
IMG_3607.JPG

After (sorta)
IMG_3605.JPG

Rdub6

Dec 29, 2017
How are you on a sewing machine? If you can’t get them covered in one piece, maybe a way to cut and fit with a “decorative” seam?

Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
How are you on a sewing machine? If you can’t get them covered in one piece, maybe a way to cut and fit with a “decorative” seam?
I know the idea, and think I can manage. But no access to a machine. It will probably work in two pieces but I would need a seamless way to join them. Maybe a black fader?

I'll think about it a bit. This material is hard to come by, so I have one shot with what I have on hand

Dec 29, 2017
I know the idea, and think I can manage. But no access to a machine. It will probably work in two pieces but I would need a seamless way to join them. Maybe a black fader?

I'll think about it a bit. This material is hard to come by, so I have one shot with what I have on hand
Measure 3,4,5 times.... cut once!!